Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build and disabled WC requiremets

Options
  • 24-01-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am building a new house and I want to have the WC serving the entry level located off the half-landing on the stairs to the basement. I have heard it said that the WC needs to be on the entry level. Does anyone know the exact rules for building in Dun Laoghaire and is there any way I can make a WC off the half-landing on the stairs work ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sea point wrote: »
    I am building a new house and I want to have the WC serving the entry level located off the half-landing on the stairs to the basement. I have heard it said that the WC needs to be on the entry level. Does anyone know the exact rules for building in Dun Laoghaire and is there any way I can make a WC off the half-landing on the stairs work ?

No. Accessible WC has to be on the ground floor or level entry. Can have no steps up or down to it. It doesn't matter where in Ireland you build, it has to conform to Part M of the Building Regulations.

A WC should be provided at entry level or, where there is no habitable room at this level, in the storey containing the main living room. At entry level, the WC should be so located that it can be accessed from the accessible entrance and from at least one habitable room without the need to negotiate steps. The approach route to the WC should be in accordance with Section 3.3

Google TGD Part M and go to page 118 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

Thanks looks like there has to be a disabled access WC on entry level with no steps whatsoever between front door to entry level and the WC. Also the WC needs to be quite a large internal area, it seems minimum is 1.45m x 1.45m which is huge just for a WC (toilet and small wash hand basin) due to the need to accommodate a wheelchair in the WC room with the door shut....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You'd be lucky to get away with 1.45 x 1.45, doubt you'd have an internal door swing at those dimensions

Yes agreed. In order to get away with a 1.45m x 1.45m internal dimension WC the door needs to open outwards from the WC room. If you have a door that needs to open into the WC room then as you say you will need a larger room to accommodate both the wheelchair and the internal door swing.

Thanks looks like there has to be a disabled access WC on entry level with no steps whatsoever between front door to entry level and the WC. Also the WC needs to be quite a large internal area, it seems minimum is 1.45m x 1.45m which is huge just for a WC (toilet and small wash hand basin) due to the need to accommodate a wheelchair in the WC room with the door shut....

Those are the rules we must follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As well as that, there are regs for the entrance to property, including height of any threshold.
    Just put your self mentally in a wheelchair and think about what works:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

As well as that, there are regs for the entrance to property, including height of any threshold.
    Just put your self mentally in a wheelchair and think about what works:

Yes deffo, it's all contained in the Part M document I linked to above, not just a wheelchair. Even people with bad limps, people on crutches are temparily disabled that kind of thing. We don't call it disabled access anymore, it's universall access :) think of older people using a walking frame even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

kceire wrote: »
    Yes deffo, it's all contained in the Part M document I linked to above, not just a wheelchair. Even people with bad limps, people on crutches are temparily disabled that kind of thing. We don't call it disabled access anymore, it's universall access :) think of older people using a walking frame even.

Also long term ill. Part m explains it very well

okay thanks for the advice , it looks like I better go back and read the whole of part M....

okay thanks for the advice , it looks like I better go back and read the whole of part M....

You shouldn't have to. Who is acting as your assigned certifier? Where are your planning and construction drawings. The info will be contained within these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement