Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking at a site, what's next?

• 02-01-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looking at a site going very cheap in my area. It's going quite cheap as it's long an narrow and also on a hill.

What do I do next? Get an ordinance survey map or something from somewhere and give it to an architect to see what we could come up with and how much it would cost?

Then submit that to planning to see if would be allowed?

Then make an offer on the site?

Seems like a lot of work before even knowing if the cost would be way over budget or the council would allow planning.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Looking at a site going very cheap in my area. It's going quite cheap as it's long an narrow and also on a hill.

What do I do next? Get an ordinance survey map or something from somewhere and give it to an architect to see what we could come up with and how much it would cost?

Then submit that to planning to see if would be allowed?

Then make an offer on the site?

Seems like a lot of work before even knowing if the cost would be way over budget or the council would allow planning.

you cannot submit for planning without the owners consent in writting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Good to know but what steps would you take to get to that stage? An architect might take one look and say your foundations and footings will cost 3x normal due to gradient etc meaning it would be too expensive a project to even contemplate. Would he get all the info he needs from an OS map? Or would I need to organise a viewing with the estate agent and bring the architect also?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Good to know but what steps would you take to get to that stage? An architect might take one look and say your foundations and footings will cost 3x normal due to gradient etc meaning it would be too expensive a project to even contemplate. Would he get all the info he needs from an OS map? Or would I need to organise a viewing with the estate agent and bring the architect also?

Get a local planning consultant/architect to look at the site and contact the planner for the area. Ask them is is feasible to construct what you want on the site before paying money.

Declare your interest in the site though, tell them you are trying to get a feelers from the Planners.

It will take time though, which you may not have ie. someone else might jump in and buy the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

I bought my site subject to getting planning. It's a very common way of purchasing with estate agents. You pay a deposit on the purchase and you agree a set time to get planning between your solicitors. I was given 9 months. I had a couple of architects visit the site once sale agreed and give a price. I got planning and then purchased the site.

Thanks for the reply. I think the biggest factor will be the gradient on the site. Would an architect or similar be able to give you an indication of costs from an OS map before you went through deposits etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks for the reply. I think the biggest factor will be the gradient on the site. Would an architect or similar be able to give you an indication of costs from an OS map before you went through deposits etc?

Not form an os map, but by walking the site and speaking to the planners they could advise on the beat house type. From there for a reasonable fee (maybe 3/500€) a Qs would give you a +/- 20% build costing at post pre-planning stage (ie once the house is sketched with typical dimensions provided)

Very good. How much roughly would I expect to pay an architect to come out and view the site and then provide plans detailed enough for a QS to price?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Very good. How much roughly would I expect to pay an architect to come out and view the site and then provide plans detailed enough for a QS to price?

Ask 3 arch's

Seems madness to me to go spending money on a site when you haven't made an offer on it. The asking price and what it can be bought for are usually very different. You could spend a bunch of money on architects and QS and then find the site has been sold. You could go sale agreed subject to planning and site suitability, i.e. you get your deposit back within a certain period of time if the site is deemed unsuitable for your project by your architect. It gives some security to what you have invested and you know what the site is going to cost you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Superdaddy wrote: »
    Seems madness to me to go spending money on a site when you haven't made an offer on it. The asking price and what it can be bought for are usually very different. You could spend a bunch of money on architects and QS and then find the site has been sold. You could go sale agreed subject to planning and site suitability, i.e. you get your deposit back within a certain period of time if the site is deemed unsuitable for your project by your architect. It gives some security to what you have invested and you know what the site is going to cost you too.

Your only talking a few hundred to get an informed opinion on the sites viability. It would be madness and unfair to put an offer on a site before you make make some kind of preliminary enquiries on your chances to build there

• Advertisement

Rabbo wrote: »
    Your only talking a few hundred to get an informed opinion on the sites viability. It would be madness and unfair to put an offer on a site before you make make some kind of preliminary enquiries on your chances to build there

Not really, would you bring your engineer with you to a house viewing?

@Brian
    Talk to the auctioneer and see what they recommend, I think you'll find them quite helpful if they think you are serious about the site. If they think the site won't work for you they will probably try find you another one too, especially if you are entitled or likely to get permission for one off housing, Carlow is a good county to build in compared to surrounding counties. You'd be amazed how many sites they have on their books that are not advertised.
    You are a valuable customer, you get your price and set your conditions of purchase before you spend a cent. The reason the site is cheap is because customers are scarce.
    If the site is on steep ground, your main issues are ground works, how much soil/rock you need to remove. Retaining walls, drainage, access, waste treatment, possible split level structure. Steep ground can be expensive to build on, your auctioneer knows this and should be willing to make allowances for this. Not many people buy sites as sites without first securing planning permission, that would be a massive gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I would look at the positive in a narrow steep site. Immediately you will NOT end up with the usual 95% of all house build in Ireland.

Something different is exciting!

Am Architect worth his salt will come up with a number of ideas including budget busting ones to realistic ones also.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,839 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lots of companies will do an initial site consultation, say a 1/2 hr, for free if theres a chance of getting the job.
    but you wouldnt be expecting a sketch or anything, just a site visit to see if its feasible and what issues may arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP, here's what I have done in the past when buying sites.

1. Go online, search house design sites and print off a house design you like or if you spot a house you like the look of, you can print off the plans from the local planning office site.

2 photograph similar size houses in the immediate area, natural stone houses, dormers, two-story etc, try and photograph some of similar size to the one you want to build.

3 find out who the planning officer is for that area, arrange a meeting and explain to him/her what you are planning to build if you buy the site. Then ask, "can you see any issues with the design/size/location etc?" Do not under any circumstances ask him/her if you will get planning for what you want, they will immediately shut down the conversation as they will not want you coming back saying that they told you that you would get planning.

4. Pay careful attention to the "bloodlties" stipulation in local development plans as this can make it very difficult for people who have no family connection to the immediate area of the site to get planning

All if this should cost you nothing.

Advertisement