Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menupages.ie - negative reviews are removed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why should I give her a call? I posted my opinion, she reverted with - imho - bull****, I called her on it and she got snippy. I should spend my money to call someone about their failings? I don't think so Tim.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, there's nothing to be achieved in dragging it out further.

adam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why should I give her a call? I posted my opinion, she reverted with - imho - bull****, I called her on it and she got snippy. I should spend my money to call someone about their failings? I don't think so Tim.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, there's nothing to be achieved in dragging it out further.

adam

So basically what you are saying is:

* You voiced your opinion online
    * Said company in a rare move, comes online to voice their response
    * You arent happy with response but rather than following up, you are going to leave it at that.

Resulting in:
    * Said company continues as is

That is why we Ireland is the way it is.

Oh and me name isnt Tim, its Faceman ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

adam

I just read that page on your blog, personally I think you come out very badly on it.
    There is very little snippiness, but its mainly from you.

Im not defending Sandra here, but you really do come across as quite confrontational for very little reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

AARRRGH wrote: »
    can anyone who has had their negative reviews removed (within 300 days) confirm they were offered a free meal (via menupages) in the restaurant they reviewed?

Can anyone confirm they were contacted by menupages and offered a free meal after their negative review was removed from the site?

At this stage I'm feeling a bit sorry for menupages :o so I hope some people can confirm the above!

faceman, while I appreciate that someone from the company came to respond to the complaints, I believe that people are being fed a line of bull here. Only one person has confirmed that they received one of these invites, and then only after the fact. Several other people complained about reviews being deleted, and they've neither confirmed nor denied that they received invites. If people come along and confirm then that's great, but I don't agree that the new methodology employed by menupages is fair or transparent anyway.

The OP had their say, I had my say, they responded, I don't believe them and I don't like their procedures or their site and I said that, what more is to be said? I'm already repeating myself, how many more times would you like me to do it? Or I could just leave it at that, like I said. Isn't that the sensible thing to do?

BTW, I don't agree with you that Ireland is staying as-is. The fact that the OP complained here in the first place is progress. It's an important first step. Now we just need to get companies to respond in better ways. If Sandra is a good marketer she will learn something from this and respond in a better way the next time. Fessing up and apologising is an approach I appreciate. Getting personal and accusing people of "hiding" is one I don't. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Arf arf.

Jumpy, I don't agree with you. So let's leave that there too.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

I put a bad review on menupages, and at the same time my bf wrote a letter of complaint to the restaurant. We received a €50 voucher from the restaurant, so I actually took it upon myself to update my original review on menupages stating this. I can see where menupages is coming from with their idea, all restaurants can have bad days, so if they are willing to let you try again for free, give them the second chance. If they are still crap, then by all means put/leave up your crap review.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I can confirm the non-posting of negative reviews. Especially (it seems) if they are a sponsor. Which is rather irritating, as I visited this place as it HAD good reviews. Now I realise all the bad ones for this place were removed.

Menu pages my hoop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

olaola wrote: »
    I can confirm the non-posting of negative reviews. Especially (it seems) if they are a sponsor. Which is rather irritating, as I visited this place as it HAD good reviews. Now I realise all the bad ones for this place were removed.

Menu pages my hoop!

Mother of Jasus, you couldn't make sh*t this up! One rule for restaurant owners that don't pay menupages for advertising and a completely different rule for those that do. Basically, if you sponsor the site you're given the kid glove treatment and you don't have to worry about poor reviews and if you don't sponsor the site, well you better start giving out free dinners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

I'd also like to confirm that a number of my less than glowing reports were also deleted.

Neither did I ever receive a reason why, or any offer of a free meal or otherwise either from the restaurants in question or Menupages itself.

Can't say I'm too pleased about all of this, I know I'll be avoiding menupages in future!

What's the point in a review site if only the good is published??

For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Darragh29 wrote: »
    This site won a Golden Spider Award last year. It says a lot about the judging process and the depth of review by the adjucators if a site that claims to review restaurants actually sensors out negative opinions, which in all reality is one of the key reasons why you would visit this site before going to a restaurant!

Any website can put themselves into contention for one of those awards by forking out a few grand for a few tables on the night ;)
    olaola wrote: »
    Menu pages my hoop!
    Sums it up pretty nicely lol

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Any website can put themselves into contention for one of those awards by forking out a few grand for a few tables on the night ;)

Sums it up pretty nicely lol

Funny you say that, I've heard that several times, that when it comes to getting a golden spider award, it's all down to buying a table, which explains how this website got anything other than a fine for promoting a website of this standard... Kind of the same approach used by menupages, "become a premium member and we'll treat you like royalty, or else stay down there with the peasant restaurant owners who don't pay us a couple of grand and maybe you'll see that it's better to pay a couple of grand and then we'll be nice to you..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

I can confirm that ive just checked and a couple of my not so hot reviews are gone too.

Some pints on this voucher in return for a new review though.

If i post a review then that is a review of my experience there and should not be taken down subject o me getting an offer of a free meal. Any further experience is a new experience and therefore should be reviewed separately.

I also dont believe there should be any refund or offer of free meals after bad reviews. Menupages should publish the review and butt out. Its the only fair way, otherwise they can make up all sorts of stupid reasons, like people are trying to scam the site etc just so they can remove the review.

Make it so there is absolutly no reason to publish a review leaning one way or the other apart from the experience the establishment gave you.

I have a brother in the business and he says that all he has to do is call menupages and the reviews will be removed for him. This is not a fair system to the people who take the time to write reviews.

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I have a brother in the business and he says that all he has to do is call menupages and the reviews will be removed for him. This is not a fair system to the people who take the time to write reviews.

Interesting.

Does your brother have to offer a free meal for the reviews to be taken down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

And so the plot thickens..

Interesting.

I dont know. I must ask him. Though he's so tight i doubt it :)

IMO the review should not be taken down whether you get offered a free meal or not anyway.

The only reason UGC should be removed on a site is if it's clearly abusive or libellous. If there needs to be a right to reply, the tools for that should be made available. If you're not competent to create the tools, you're not competent to run a web-based business.

adma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I logged in recently after not logging in in a while to see i was missing a ton of points. When i emailed them about it they said i had points for my published reveiws-they had erased all negative or bordering negative reviews and deducted the points from my account. Its absolutely ridiculous, what is the point of a review site that is only positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Somebody has been dishing up porkie pies, and it wasn't one of the restaurants. ;)

Sandra, come back and dig that hole you are working on a bit a more, its not deep enough yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I think they should change the slogan from "Dublin's Restaurant Guide - As Reviewed by YOU!" to "Dublin's Restaurant Guide - As Reviewed by YOU! but Deleted by us"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

This is absolutely riduclous, somewhere along the way - Menupages have lost track of what the function of the website is.

Personally I find the website frustrating to search and filter.

• Advertisement

LolaDub wrote: »
    I logged in recently after not logging in in a while to see i was missing a ton of points. When i emailed them about it they said i had points for my published reveiws-they had erased all negative or bordering negative reviews and deducted the points from my account. Its absolutely ridiculous, what is the point of a review site that is only positive!

Maybe Sandra can clear that one up. Oh wait shes not even here anymore. She has been caught out and isnt showing her face anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm going to ask posters to refrain from posting anything overly negative, until we get a chance to hear from Sandra at Menupages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Glad I read this thread. A lot of my friends use Menupages telling me it's great. I shall be correcting them very shortly.

For shame :mad:

zAbbo wrote: »
    This is absolutely riduclous, somewhere along the way - Menupages have lost track of what the function of the website is.

Personally I find the website frustrating to search and filter.

The problem here clearly is the business model. Once you start selling advertising or upgraded membership benefits/products to restaurants that are being rated on the site, problems and conflicts of interest are inevitable.

You can't be all things to all people, which is what is being attempted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Yep, one of my negative reviews removed. Nonsense. Won't be using the site again, that's for sure.......pity cos I used to enjoy it but now it's not worth reading reviews and the whole thing becomes pointless.

OK it seems my review went past the 300 days and this is possibly why it is now gone. Although I didn't see any mention of this 300 day rule on the site and I personally think 300 days is too short. People are able to see the date of the review for themselves and if all negative reviews were a long time ago and positive reviews are more recent, they can make the decision for themselves. I thought this was the idea of showing the date of the visit?

I can see how this may skew the star ratings as if the restaurant have really upped their game recently, the old ratings might be dragging them down. A possible suggestion might be to leave all of the reviews but have the star rating based on their more current form.

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I dont know. I must ask him.

Any update on this KhanTheMan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

OK, from looking through the menupages website, it appears that there are countless negative reviews for all kinds of restaurants, including premium members, some of which are fairly damning and are still in place so anything that is going on is obviously not widespread.

I know in my case, the review was removed because it went past the 300 day rule and I wasn't aware of this and I'm wondering if this is the case for many other people who think that their reviews were removed for being negative.

Comments such as the person who said that they know someone who owns a restaurant and all they have to do is call menupages and a review is removed is, frankly, horse manure because it is impossible to verify these claims and in my opinion should be deleted. If this was true, there would be no negative reviews on the site. Anonymous people on message boards who say that they know a friend of a friend who does something can not be taken seriously.

Anywho, sorry if I sound like a menupages employee but I think that menupages have gotten a lot of stick for removing reviews and I'm not sure if any of it is deserved.

duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Anywho, sorry if I sound like a menupages employee but I think that menupages have gotten a lot of stick for removing reviews and I'm not sure if any of it is deserved.

They should not be removing reviews period, unless the content is libellous, in which case the part considered libellous can simply be edited out where feasible, with the gist of the review unaffected. Where this occurs, why not ask the reviewer to rephrase/rewrite, rather than binning it in it's entirety?

• Advertisement

Any update on this KhanTheMan?

Actually i asked him last night. He says all he has to do is call them and the negative reviews are taken down. Hes never been asked to give a free meal by menupages at all. Most establishments dont go looking at menupages so dont even realize they can call them to get bad reviews removed.

Forgot to mention. When he calls them there is a little hint about sueing them thrown in too :) You know, like the you are responsible for what appears on your website as if you yourself had written and so are liable for any damages i may have to claim in the future, kind of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement