Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Memberships

Options
  • 24-10-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

We are not too far away from that time again where we have to renew our membership with our clubs.

My club are maintaining there membership of €650 for the forthcoming year.

Is anyone's club membership set to go up or down next year???

I was thinking of joining a cheaper golf club which would allow me to keep my GUI handicap thus allowing me to play in all the open competitions i wanted.

The problem with the club I am at now is most of the competitions are open competitions which I could play if I was a member elsewhere.

Really unsure as what to do:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I've being told our subs are to come down this year, to be honest they better as it's far to dear. The excuse given is budgets and local clubs charge the same in the region.

I've heard St Margarets are bring out a very good deal for the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Sean_pop wrote: »
    We are not too far away from that time again where we have to renew our membership with our clubs.

Is anyone's club membership set to go up or down next year???

I was thinking of joining a cheaper golf club which would allow me to keep my GUI handicap thus allowing me to play in all the open competitions i wanted.

The problem with the club I am at now is most of the competitions are open competitions which I could play if I was a member elsewhere.

Really unsure as what to do:confused::confused::confused:

Start by putting on a hard hat anyway for all the flak about to come your way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

My sub is over 1200 !!! And I dont have much choice unless i want a longer drive and I dont. I'd like to be paying ur price!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Ok putting to one side the arguments in relation to being part of the community, making sure club survives, not feeding the distance clubs that are taking advantage etc etc.....will you really save much or anything?

Might save say €400 on yearly sub but you'll have to pay the visitor rate in the open comps anyway....say €15 more than for members then if you play just 16 comps (one a week for 3 months) thats €250 of your saving gone..to save €150 you'd be giving up all casual free golf, those few holes after work days and comps and weekened golf for 9 months.

At 650, if you play any way regularly you'd surely be better off staying with club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Myself and a few friends are all joining slievenemon next year. It's suppose to be €150 but we haggled down to €130 and if a few more jump on board we might get it for €120.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Myself and a few friends are all joining slievenemon next year. It's suppose to be €150 but we haggled down to €130 and if a few more jump on board we might get it for €120.

If we can get a few more we might be able to get a reciprocal distance deal with Carton ? Let me know...really interested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

:eek::eek:
    all i can say is holy s..t
    no wonder clubs like that are getting a poor name

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

cairny wrote: »
    Ok putting to one side the arguments in relation to being part of the community, making sure club survives, not feeding the distance clubs that are taking advantage etc etc.....will you really save much or anything?

Might save say €400 on yearly sub but you'll have to pay the visitor rate in the open comps anyway....say €15 more than for members then if you play just 16 comps (one a week for 3 months) thats €250 of your saving gone..to save €150 you'd be giving up all casual free golf, those few holes after work days and comps and weekened golf for 9 months.

At 650, if you play any way regularly you'd surely be better off staying with club?

Rates at my club are as follows for open competitions.
    Members rate for typical open competition is €8
    Visitors rate for typical open competition are either €10-€15

I probably should have stated in my previous post that I want to stay with my current club but as a country member and was wondering if I could find a cheaper Golf club to join so I can avail of the country membership at my current club as I do play quiet a lot of Golf in the summer.

I don't however play many competitions at my home club as I like to play different courses at the weekend depending on what open competitions are on

Country membership in my club is €300. If I could find cheap enough membership elsewhere it might be worth doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Sounds like you'd be better off with a distance membership. Any truth in Ballykisteen doing a €250 distance offer?

Sounds like you'd be better off with a distance membership. Any truth in Ballykisteen doing a €250 distance offer?

Yip.

http://ballykisteenhotel.com/golf_membership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

When you're doing your financial analysis, make sure you DO NOT take the following into account:

The cost of driving tither and yon
    The value of playing in club competitions, teams, etc.
    The convenience of a few holes of a summers evening
    What you are going to do on a Saturday morning when you really fancy a game...
    The wider benefits of a club to a community
    The next generation of golfers

Because, after all, saving 10 euro is far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is Slievenamon an 18 or 27 hole course?
    Any driving range, accommodation, good putting or short game area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

When you're doing your financial analysis, make sure you DO NOT take the following into account:

The cost of driving tither and yon
    The value of playing in club competitions, teams, etc.
    The convenience of a few holes of a summers evening
    What you are going to do on a Saturday morning when you really fancy a game...
    The wider benefits of a club to a community
    The next generation of golfers

Because, after all, saving 10 euro is far more important.

I won't be driving down to play it and I spend all summer jumping out on the back holes of Corballis sothat doesn't cost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I won't be driving down to play it and I spend all summer jumping out on the back holes of Corballis sothat doesn't cost anything.

You won't be at that crack next summer. I'll be on the look out for you sneaking over the dunes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Borderline trolling now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

What about the minimum number of rounds at your home club before being allowed to play in opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

PARlance wrote: »
    Is Slievenamon an 18 or 27 hole course?
    Any driving range, accommodation, good putting or short game area?

18 holes. No driving range, local accommodation about 6 miles away in Clonmel, as good a practice green as any and 2 chipping greens with about 100 yards of approach from rough.

In hindsight I'm not too sure there isn't a driving range up back of the course, never saw it but have seen traffic going up and down a passage. Was a member there myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Full membership in the Ring of Kerry GC, Kenmare Co. Kerry for only €215, be hard to beat that I'd say.

Rates at my club are as follows for open competitions.
    Members rate for typical open competition is €8
    Visitors rate for typical open competition are either €10-€15

I probably should have stated in my previous post that I want to stay with my current club but as a country member and was wondering if I could find a cheaper Golf club to join so I can avail of the country membership at my current club as I do play quiet a lot of Golf in the summer.

I don't however play many competitions at my home club as I like to play different courses at the weekend depending on what open competitions are on

Country membership in my club is €300. If I could find cheap enough membership elsewhere it might be worth doing

Country membership comes with the condition that you live X miles from the club usually 75 I think.

Crazy pricing strategy for the opens by your club, part of the race to the bottom some clubs are engaged in, getting what they deserve in one sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

Hollywood lakes €995 to end of 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

I'm thinking about joining Killarney. It's 4 times what I'd be paying at the club I'm currently a member of, which I joined 12 months ago. I probably won't play as many rounds as I did this year but I'd rather 1 round in Killeen/Mahoneys than 3 on my present course. Tough decision!

idle wrote: »
    I'm thinking about joining Killarney. It's 4 times what I'd be paying at the club I'm currently a member of, which I joined 12 months ago. I probably won't play as many rounds as I did this year but I'd rather 1 round in Killeen/Mahoneys than 3 on my present course. Tough decision!

Lackabane back now as well, I prefer it to Mahoney's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greenore, Co. Louth.
    820 euro inc insurance, locker and 100 of that for bar/restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

cairny wrote: »

Heard that alright. What condition is it in?

idle wrote: »
    Quote: idle

Heard that alright. What condition is it in?

Played it about 6 weeks ago and it was a little rough around the edges but decent enough, should be better now. I'd say it will be back perfect for the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am planning on joining a club with €1000 share membership plus €1050 yearly subs

And for an extra kick in the teeth they want the full amount upfront and wont let me pay by direct debit so I need to gather the full amount before I can join.

Greenore, Co. Louth.
    820 euro inc insurance, locker and 100 of that for bar/restaurant.

Very good value for a lovely course all golf all year round

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I am planning on joining a club with €1000 share membership plus €1050 yearly subs

And for an extra kick in the teeth they want the full amount upfront and wont let me pay by direct debit so I need to gather the full amount before I can join.

You'd want to be sure they'll stay going !!

alxmorgan wrote: »
    You'd want to be sure they'll stay going !!

I am fairly sure it is a very busy course and although there was romours of financial trouble a few years ago I think it does very well, they offer non share membership for 1500 subs and people were eating that up coz shares were a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

redzerdrog wrote: »

There is no such thing as a share membership vis a vi a share in the assets of a club, unless it is a members owned club who own their own land and buildings, ask anyone who bought "share memberships in the likes of Rathcore, New Forest, Moyvalley, Knightsbrook, South County, McCreddin, Concra Woods, etc etc etc ,,, I think the only members club that did such a deal was Corrstown.

Propriotry golf clubs in essence have no asset, to sell shares in.

Advertisement