Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swing Trainers

Options
  • 14-10-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I've picked up one of the SwingByte analysers & it has a Tempo statistic.

Any ideas on what is a solid target tempo? Think my ratio was coming out on average somewhere between 3:1 & 4:1 (ie back swing takes 3 times as long as downswing)

Sorry for going off topic space but maybe you might post a review, was looking at the skycaddie sky pro and looks pretty impressive, I'm sure lots of guys would be interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

scubapro wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic space but maybe you might post a review, was looking at the skycaddie sky pro and looks pretty impressive, I'm sure lots of guys would be interested.

+1 on this (separate thread if needs be as first one was deleted)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I'll join in on that one. I have the Zepp Golfsense device and was playing around a bit over the weekend.

Few looking for this...SwingByte, SwingSense, SkyPro etc

Buyers guide from MyGolfSpy here:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/skypro-swing-analyzer-trainer-review/

Any and all experiences welcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

scubapro wrote: »

No worries, yeah.

I got it a couple weeks ago, but have only had one session at the range with it. I bought it in the spa well. Had a chat with my pro at the time & he said to bring it with me when I next come in for a lesson & he'd show me how to get the most out if it.

Anyway, it's an easy piece of kit to attach to the club. I had one or two issues starting off with syncing to the Bluetooth on my phone. I'm using an android, so dontvhave video functionality. Will maybe try with the iPad next time I'm down there & see how that looks.

It's simple to use. You select the club you're hitting & tap add swing. Then start hitting balls. It's built around contact so you need a strike to register a swing. Hit stop whenever you're done. You can then look back at the swing you've just taken, or go to your swing history to look at any if your other swings. You can also pull off about 15 different stats about each swing.

I'm not technical about my swing enough to delve into the meaning of each one (and don't know if I ever will be) but it has a number if key stats that do interest me, swing speed, tempo, point where my swing is at max speed, swing plane. All east to read and understand.

You can view your swing from multiple angles & add tips into the swing view, which give a couple of nice little nuggets about how parts of your swing compare to the pros.

I consciously tried to swing differently to see if it picked them up correctly & it picked out hooks, draws, fades & slices which was in line with the flight of the ball.

Hitting a few normal swings I was able to quickly see that I was swinging outside the plane. I could then focus on getting my downswing closer to in line and on an in to out path.

I know that there was some criticism in previous threads in relation to it's accuracy. Sure if I don't have it 100% on line it won't be precise to an exact degree, but do I really mind if my lie angle is fractionally off, no. I know it's notggoing to be completely right, but if it's showing me the stats I want to see & a visual representation of my swing then im perfectly happy.

Yes, a con mentioned before is that it can on occasion come slightly loose, which is true, but it's simple and easy to click back in place.

Would I recommend it, yes absolutely, if your a bit of a swing geek & find it helpful to see details of where you are improving etc... I look forward to using it in conjunction with working with my pro to really improve my swing over the winter.

Happy to bring it down to GC one weekend with me if you're about & want to have a swing with it

• Advertisement

No worries, yeah.

I got it a couple weeks ago, but have only had one session at the range with it. I bought it in the spa well. Had a chat with my pro at the time & he said to bring it with me when I next come in for a lesson & he'd show me how to get the most out if it.

Anyway, it's an easy piece of kit to attach to the club. I had one or two issues starting off with syncing to the Bluetooth on my phone. I'm using an android, so dontvhave video functionality. Will maybe try with the iPad next time I'm down there & see how that looks.

It's simple to use. You select the club you're hitting & tap add swing. Then start hitting balls. It's built around contact so you need a strike to register a swing. Hit stop whenever you're done. You can then look back at the swing you've just taken, or go to your swing history to look at any if your other swings. You can also pull off about 15 different stats about each swing.

I'm not technical about my swing enough to delve into the meaning of each one (and don't know if I ever will be) but it has a number if key stats that do interest me, swing speed, tempo, point where my swing is at max speed, swing plane. All east to read and understand.

You can view your swing from multiple angles & add tips into the swing view, which give a couple of nice little nuggets about how parts of your swing compare to the pros.

I consciously tried to swing differently to see if it picked them up correctly & it picked out hooks, draws, fades & slices which was in line with the flight of the ball.

Hitting a few normal swings I was able to quickly see that I was swinging outside the plane. I could then focus on getting my downswing closer to in line and on an in to out path.

I know that there was some criticism in previous threads in relation to it's accuracy. Sure if I don't have it 100% on line it won't be precise to an exact degree, but do I really mind if my lie angle is fractionally off, no. I know it's notggoing to be completely right, but if it's showing me the stats I want to see & a visual representation of my swing then im perfectly happy.

Yes, a con mentioned before is that it can on occasion come slightly loose, which is true, but it's simple and easy to click back in place.

Would I recommend it, yes absolutely, if your a bit of a swing geek & find it helpful to see details of where you are improving etc... I look forward to using it in conjunction with working with my pro to really improve my swing over the winter.

Happy to bring it down to GC one weekend with me if you're about & want to have a swing with it

Hey,

Based on your swings how accurate would you say face to path and club path numbers were ?
    I mean if you hit draws did it show in to out numbers ?

Mods : Feel free to move to Swing Trainer thread I started as don' want to hijack OP thread !!

The draws did show up as in to out, and the fades were all out to in.

A couple of draws showed as hooks & a couple of hooks as draws, the same on the flip side for fade/slice.

And maybe the odd ball that came up as draw/fade when it was pretty much a straight ball flight

Again, I'm not up to speed as yet on the fine details of it, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far

The draws did show up as in to out, and the fades were all out to in.

A couple of draws showed as hooks & a couple of hooks as draws, the same on the flip side for fade/slice.

And maybe the odd ball that came up as draw/fade when it was pretty much a straight ball flight

Again, I'm not up to speed as yet on the fine details of it, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far

Does it actually state hook as opposed to draw ?
    And were you seeing extreme numbers for club path and face to path for the extreme shots you tried ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Does it actually state hook as opposed to draw ?
    And were you seeing extreme numbers for club path and face to path for the extreme shots you tried ?

Yeah States hook. For example, one that states hook lists the following:

Face to path: 9.6 degrees closed
    Club path: 11.5 degrees in to out

One a draw:
    Face to path: 2 degrees closed
    Club path: 3.3 degrees in to out

A slice:
    Face to path: 12.3 degrees open
    Club path: 14.6 degrees out to in

Yeah States hook. For example, one that states hook lists the following:

Face to path: 9.6 degrees closed
    Club path: 11.5 degrees in to out

One a draw:
    Face to path: 2 degrees closed
    Club path: 3.3 degrees in to out

A slice:
    Face to path: 12.3 degrees open
    Club path: 14.6 degrees out to in

The hook and slice are severe numbers :eek:

I would think you're talking 50-60 yards of movement there
    and for draw maybe 15 yards (making assumptions one of which being centered contact)

Anywhere near accurate do you remember ?

• Advertisement

The hook was with a PW and prob moved a good 30 yrds which is a fair swing for that length of club

Slice was with a 7 iron. Started right & just kept going

Draw was a hybrid and about 10-15 yards would be fair

The hook was with a PW and prob moved a good 30 yrds which is a fair swing for that length of club

Slice was with a 7 iron. Started right & just kept going

Draw was a hybrid and about 10-15 yards would be fair

Not bad. Is the targetting working yet ? (ITR)
    Sorry for all the questions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

No worries, yeah.

That would be great SC, with the numbers bearing out can you actually zoom in and see the face angle and path through impact and does it show an exact representation of your swing plane, looking at the skypro video the playback is a compuer generated figure as opposed to your own human form as per the video attached by Alx, is this the same, pretty cool to be able to see the face angle and path in slomo. If these devices are accurate I would say they could take your practice sessions to a completely different level over and above V1 or other swing video as invarialy you cannot see super slow playback unless you have a slow speed camara.

As I said, haven't tried it out with the iPad yet, so not sure how good the video functionality of it is.

On the Android one, it is just a graphical display of your swing. Not too sure re slo-mo replays either.

I see that you're in the group in front of me this Saturday. Will bring it with me & you can hit a couple balls round the back of the 1st tee before/after the round if you want

As I said, haven't tried it out with the iPad yet, so not sure how good the video functionality of it is.

On the Android one, it is just a graphical display of your swing. Not too sure re slo-mo replays either.

I see that you're in the group in front of me this Saturday. Will bring it with me & you can hit a couple balls round the back of the 1st tee before/after the round if you want

Got some info on video for Android and ITR.....
    Video isn't enabled on android yet but it's coming in the next release which I'm told will be in the next few weeks.

ITR is also to be added but I'm not sure when as they class this as "future development"

Any more updates on how this is going for you ?

Any more updates on how this is going for you ?

Haven't had much chance to be honest.

The app went very glitchy for a while. There was an update & it wouldn't open at all.

But,once I uninstalled & reinstalled it worked fine again. Still no sign of video functionality on Android.

Looks like ITR has been released and is available in the new android update.

Also a new feature called Dial-it-in which looks a lot like the Skypro groove mode.

http://blog.swingbyte.com/

Anyone try any of the new features yet ?

Looks like ITR has been released and is available in the new android update.

Also a new feature called Dial-it-in which looks a lot like the Skypro groove mode.

http://blog.swingbyte.com/

Anyone try any of the new features yet ?

So I bit the bullet and bought one today. If it arrives in time first range session with it will be this day week. Will report back on what I think of it. I'm a bit of a numbers head so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

TheBigEasy - got it off amazon from the states. Cheaper than what I've found on this side of the water. 2 weeks form order date.

Benny79 - it clips onto the club just below the grip. Bluetooth to iPhone/iPad or android. Picks up swing from start to impact. It reports swing plane, angles, club speed. Has a groove function which is ideal for practice.
    The thing for me is, I can see the problem with the sky pro, look up a few fixes on YouTube, practice them and see the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

what does the groove function do? or for? This sounds great as I really struggle with range practise! does it report after each swing so you can check it then and has there been any improvements in your game a bit early to tell maybe is it :)

benny79 wrote: »
    what does the groove function do? or for? This sounds great as I really struggle with range practise! does it report after each swing so you can check it then and has there been any improvements in your game a bit early to tell maybe is it :)

From what I know it is the same as the dial-it-in feature on Swingbyte. So basically you set a tolerance for a given data point and you get feedback after each swing to tell you whether you succeeded for failed to meet that tolerance.

My first range session with swingbyte will be tonight so I'll report back here then for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

From what I know it is the same as the dial-it-in feature on Swingbyte. So basically you set a tolerance for a given data point and you get feedback after each swing to tell you whether you succeeded for failed to meet that tolerance.

My first range session with swingbyte will be tonight so I'll report back here then for those interested.

Very interested. Thanks.

So first range session with Swingbyte last night review here for those that care....

Initial Setup
    Takes a while to setup clubs in bag so I had this done in advance. But switching between them on the app is painless

Bluetooth
    Had some issues with this so I would suggest unpairing it from your phone and repairing it before trying to connect via the app as this seemed to do the trick
    Apart from that connectivity seemed good. Maybe it missed 2 swings out of 50 or so

Attaching the device
    This is where Skypro would win I wager as it uses an accelerometer to manage this. Swingbyte Android version you need to do it manually which leaves you
    wondering how accurate you are. The iOS version of Swingbyte has ITR which uses a target system to achieve more accurate results and it will be good
    when this is there for Android too.

Using it
    So I found the numbers matched pretty well with that I was seeing.
    Swingspeed matched the speed I would have seen on Trackman.
    I quickly found that my path was pretty consistently in to out and that it was the club face that I needed to focus on.
    This ties in with a video Mark Crossfield did a while back where he said the same thing - peoples path is generally consistent.

I was hitting down with my irons and up with my driver (although I think the AOA is measured differently to Trackman)

I used dial it in to try and zero out my face to path and first swing I tried was 0.0 !!
    Amazing sometime how just putting your focus on something can sort it out. (A topic covered a lot in Inner Golf)

Once I got the hang of it moving the device between clubs would take about 30 seconds and you can swing away again.

Overall I found it very useful and it helped to focus your mind and your session on things to work on.

One thing to note is that the swing type (draw, fade etc) use the numbers but they assume centered strike.
    For example if I hit in to out 2 degrees and my face is square to target I should see a draw.
    But if I strike it off the heel gear effect will take over and my flight may be the opposite
    So ideally mark the face (I use Dr Scholls foot powder) to help accuracy taking this into account.

Haven't used video yet as am waiting on mini tripod to arrive from Ebay so I can set it up.

Any questions fire away....

GAMEGOLF

has anyone purchased this or used it seems to be getting great reviews! watched a Mark Crossfield vid last nite and he raves about it! Yet to me it just looks like it records all your stats which you can do with the golfshot App for free! how would this help you improve apart from show your weakness and were to focus your practise but again the golf shot app does this for free.

Any thoughts lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GAMEGOLF

has anyone purchased this or used it seems to be getting great reviews! watched a Mark Crossfield vid last nite and he raves about it! Yet to me it just looks like it records all your stats which you can do with the golfshot App for free! how would this help you improve apart from show your weakness and were to focus your practise but again the golf shot app does this for free.

Any thoughts lads?

The golfshot free verison doesn't measure your shots and to a lesser extent, their accuracy afaik.
    Golfshot will tell you if you hit a fairway, but game golf tells you you hit a fairway with a 236 yard drive and were 10 yards left of the fairway I think.
    Also, afaik with golfshot you only input the club you hit off the tee. Gamegolf knows every club you hit.
    Basically it's Golfshot with more and better details.

Whether it's worth the €200 or so is another question for me.

I know its a bit more detail but is it €200 worth as like you say is a different story! Mark Crossfield seems to think its the best golf invention yet!
    I would like something like swingbyte or something to help with my practice so its not wasted! its just understanding them and the numbers etc! so I know what I'm at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know its a bit more detail but is it €200 worth as like you say is a different story! Mark Crossfield seems to think its the best golf invention yet!
    I would like something like swingbyte or something to help with my practice so its not wasted! its just understanding them and the numbers etc! so I know what I'm at. :)

It might be worth a bit of money to Mr Crossfield. I would guess that he's getting a cut from them. He is wearing all "bunker mentality" clothing for the last while too which I'm sure is a similar deal.

But there are a few lads on here that have it and have been very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

PARlance wrote: »
    The golfshot free verison doesn't measure your shots and to a lesser extent, their accuracy afaik.
    Golfshot will tell you if you hit a fairway, but game golf tells you you hit a fairway with a 236 yard drive and were 10 yards left of the fairway I think.
    Also, afaik with golfshot you only input the club you hit off the tee. Gamegolf knows every club you hit.
    Basically it's Golfshot with more and better details.

Whether it's worth the €200 or so is another question for me.

I think another point about the gamegolf unit that it can be used in competitions both amateur and pro, unlike any smartphone app,

their is one under my tree from the other half:) so I'll see how it goes,

also crossfield states he get zero money from gamegolf in his review (pinch of salt possibly)

• Advertisement

For me game golf teaches you about your game but in a very different way to swing trainers.

Will tell you nothing about your swing but your stats over time should show you things like:
    • distances with various clubs
    • accuracy with various clubs
    • how you miss when you do

Advertisement