Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'll never ever knock the Guards again!

• 26-11-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Timeline today.

1 pm. Went down to my shed to get the faithful Giant FCR C out for a spin. Lock broken off the door and bike gone.
    2 pm. Went down to Clontarf station to report the theft. Garda Oliver M Ryan took the details and was more than a little interested in the bike. Turns out he's a keen biker. Asked me to email the details on the bike. I found the thread where I had bought the bike on adverts.ie and sent it off. Oliver acknowledged my email and said he'd circulate the image.
    10 pm. A loud knock on the door and 2 Guards were outside with the bike. It had been found behind a block of flats, in perfect condition.

Thanks Oliver and the two Guards, Stephen O'Donoghue and Mark Ashford.
    Simply amazing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

if he was not a keen biker do you reckon you would have got the same reault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Jaysus, not the biggest fan of the boys in blue in general but credit where it's due eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

keep indoors next time

it was just some joy riders

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you can find any email addresses, it's worth popping a thank you mail off to their superiors. no harm in positive reinforcement...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

if you can find any email addresses, it's worth popping a thank you mail off to their superiors. no harm in positive reinforcement...
    Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not sure how the guards would react to seen their full names plastered on the Internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It's hard to win, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Maybe its because he's a conscientious professional that you would get the same result ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

ted1 wrote: »
    Not sure how the guards would react to seen their full names plastered on the Internet

Yup, just thank the Clontarf lads, not the names!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yeah, that's all well and good but try saying ''no way we wont pay'' and see where you get..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

not yet wrote: »
    Yeah, that's all well and good but try saying ''no way we wont pay'' and see where you get..:D

Thats 2 negatives .... BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Nice one, glad to hear there was a happy ending here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Thats 2 negatives .... BTW

Two negatives make one positive don't ya know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Delighted you got your bike back. Seem to be potluck, in terms of who you get to investigate the case. I have personally reported a motorcycle stolen worth between €3k-€3.5k, and the best I got was a phone call months later asking if I had found the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

dusty207 wrote: »
    Went down to my shed to get the faithful Giant FCR C out for a spin...It had been found behind a block of flats, in perfect condition.

I don't know what the world is coming to. I left my Giant FCR C outside the block of flats I live in. When I came out, I saw a Garda car driving off, with my bike sticking out of the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Delighted you got your bike back. Seem to be potluck, in terms of who you get to investigate the case. I have personally reported a motorcycle stolen worth between €3k-€3.5k, and the best I got was a phone call months later asking if I had found the bike.

This lad had an iPad stolen in Dublin, and first passed on the location to them, and then pictures of the alleged thief... still no word.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ireland-s-dumbest-criminal-thief-uploads-photos-to-victim-s-icloud-1.2015917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

buffalo wrote: »
    This lad had an iPad stolen in Dublin, and first passed on the location to them, and then pictures of the alleged thief... still no word.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ireland-s-dumbest-criminal-thief-uploads-photos-to-victim-s-icloud-1.2015917

Commented at that thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

braddun wrote: »
    keep indoors next time

Not always practical. I've fully insured both bikes in the shed and keep the road bike in the hall. I tried all three in the house and it just did my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Nice one, glad to hear there was a happy ending here.
    Which garda gave him the happy ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Commented at that thread too.
    They are all to busy helping a private company in civil law matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

not yet wrote: »
    Two negatives make one positive don't ya know..

In this case it does.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Great to get your bike back,great result!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Will you start a thread tomorrow when the waitress who serves you your coffee and sandwich does exactly what she's supposed to do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Its such a shame all the posters on boards aren't members of An Garda Siochana, we'd have virtually no crime and the little crime we would have would have a 100% solved rate. Some top quality keyboard detectives.

Fair play to the Clontarf lads for getting your bike back OP, obviously very satisfying for you

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

whupdedo wrote: »
    Will you start a thread tomorrow when the waitress who serves you your coffee and sandwich does exactly what she's supposed to do :rolleyes:
    If you have a problem with a post report it and leave it to the mods to deal with it as they see fit. Do not comment in thread. Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Ah, the internet. Where positivity and a happy story is a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've reported my shed broken into, my bike stolen. My sons car stolen, a motorcycle stolen and a motorcycle striped almost bare in Princess Street (Dublin) and never got more than an eyebrow raised by AGS, I've little faith in them tbh but credit where its due and its good of the OP to recognize the cops on a job well done.

Glad you got your bike back :) Since my theft I keep both bikes indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

whupdedo wrote: »

I think the point is that we often hear cries of "sure what's the point of even reporting it stolen, the guards do nothing". This shows that it is worth doing, even if you have to be lucky to get a good result.

I very much doubt the guards are sitting in the car thinking "should I stop that guy with the bolt cutters taking that bike? Nah feck it. I couldn't be arsed"

There is no doubt that the guards do not prioritise bike theft very highly but we are unlikely to be dealing with the people who set the priorities, just those who follow them. Incidentally if I could personally set those priorities the pricks who swerve in to cyclists or throw things at them from their cars would be significantly ahead of scumbags with bolt cutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Beasty wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a post report it and leave it to the mods to deal with it as they see fit. Do not comment in thread. Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Should you not also direct that post to the sarcastic one above?

Anyway the country is in trouble when we are pleasantly surprised that the police solved a crime.
    I've also wondered how not one decent bike makes it to the Garda auction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

shutup wrote: »
    Should you not also direct that post to the sarcastic one above?

Anyway the country is in trouble when we are pleasantly surprised that the police solved a crime.
    I've also wondered how not one decent bike makes it to the Garda auction.

Oh oh your in trouble now, dont you know sarcasm is a no no in a mods eyes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a feeling, we're nearly done here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,614 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a feeling, we're nearly done here.
    I have a feeling you are right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement