Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im afraid to wear cycle shorts.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks. Did a bit more googling.

Just ordered these as they were a bit cheaper. I wont look like that in them. Im sure of that.

FDX.jpg

Now that is exactly where I want to be in a year. I am tipping in at 14 stone with a terrible habit of needing a beer or 2 with my over sized dinner every evening.
    I would be happy at 13 stone to be honest. And save the beer and the big meal for a once a week treat.

I would also like to be able to cycle to the other end of the country this summer. And join Naas cycle club also. Just for the craic.

What shorts are the best? Im guessing I will only need one really good pair.

Spent my b2w budget on the bike so I have to find value somewhere else.

If you change nothing about your diet and go for a few spins during the week you will see the weight come off. But if you sort the diet as well you should see big improvements in your weight and cycling fitness.

I shifted 2 stone since this time last year doing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Get yourself a pair of mtb shorts. I Did when I started on the road and now I wear lycra to show off my bulging quads and glutes :p

Jesus I've just become what I hated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I would also like to be able to cycle to the other end of the country this summer. And join Naas cycle club also. Just for the craic.

You have the bike, and the gear is on order - now check out the Naas CC website for details of their Sat. morning "Failte" spin for newbies or those getting back on a bike after a long absence

Gentle pace / good distances to build up towards joining one of the regular club spin groups on Sundays.

Sooner you get started, the sooner you get used to that lycra AND start losing the weight - go for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Join Naas CC asap - plenty of lycra-clad folk of all sizes to make you feel right at home, you'll look odd if you don't wear it! Failte spin on Sat morning @ 9.30 from K Leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Bigus wrote: »
    Wear them under a tracksuit to begin with, the padding in them is like an extra saddle, which your Lardy ass might need, no offence.

Why would an ass that is amply padded, or lardy, as you have put it, need padding?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks folks. Have to wait on head office with my B2W voucher first.

Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why would an ass that is amply padded, or lardy, as you have put it, need padding?!?!

That's what I was thinking. It's only now that I've lost a stone and my butt is gone all skinny that I've started to get numb nutts on longer rides. Reckon I'll have to change my saddle to make up for the lack of natural padding!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

This is the look you want to avoid. Serious harm comes from shizzle like this.

bono-bike-30jul13-07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

OP where whatever the hell you want. Jeans/ shorts over shorts / tracksuit. Do you honestly care what a bunch of bike snobs think??

Comments on this thread are part of the reason I'm glad I'm not part of the road-bike clique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

mrcheez wrote: »
    OP where whatever the hell you want. Jeans/ shorts over shorts / tracksuit. Do you honestly care what a bunch of bike snobs think??

Comments on this thread are part of the reason I'm glad I'm not part of the road-bike clique.
    Ha ha yeah good point wear whatever you want who cares what people think:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Wear what you feel comfortable in OP.
    That's in the physical sense and in the mental sense.

Padded shorts are a bonus, if not essential on long spins.

We all had to start somewhere but there will come a time when you start wondering if your "kit" is slowing you down...

When I started out and then bought my "road" bike, I felt like proper "cyclists" were probably looking at me akin to someone who had bought a Ferrari and stuck a Subaru WRX spoiler on the back :( I even wore a rucksack so I'd look like a commuter.

I got over it though :D

Now that it's winter I am back on the Hybrid with lycra under MTB 3/4 shorts, as it keeps my ass dryer in the rain/wind/cold.

But it's FKW on the "road" bike. I love aliexpress.

Happy cycling. Get Strava and you'll never look back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know, right. The cheek of people recommending the OP wears the most comfortable and practical shorts on a bike. Complete snobs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I know, right. The cheek of people recommending the OP wears the most comfortable and practical shorts on a bike. Complete snobs.

eh I'm pretty sure there were several mentions in this thread of how wearing bike shorts alone isn't practical, particularly if you need to walk around after locking up the bike.

Padded shorts under MTB shorts are actually more practical in this case (not to mention benefit of having pockets on the side).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

eh I'm pretty sure there were several mentions in this thread of how wearing bike shorts alone isn't practical, particularly if you need to walk around after locking up the bike.

Padded shorts under MTB shorts are actually more practical in this case (not to mention benefit of having pockets on the side).

Do you have a link to that thread?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mentions you say?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

When I first took up cycling a few years ago and my LBS presented me with a pair of lycra shorts, my first concern was looking like Freddie Mercury on a bike!!
    But then it was put to me "when you pass a cyclist, do you stop and ponder what their wearing"?
    "I want to break free"

lismore7 wrote: »
    But then it was put to me "when you pass a cyclist, do you stop and ponder what their wearing"?

It seems an inordinate amount of people in this forum do that very thing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lismore7 wrote: »
    ...But then it was put to me "when you pass a cyclist, do you stop and ponder what their wearing"?..
    Of course not! Full inspection of another's attire should be carried out while one is drafting. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Of course not! Full inspection of another's attire should be carried out while one is drafting. ;)

Very true.....but I was meaning non cycling civilians not giving a flying fender to what us cycle chappies wear...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement