Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin GSC10

• 24-11-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭

So got a turbo the other week and find since getting it that the speed sensor doesn't actually work. Don't know if it ever actually worked as suspect it was using GPS signal outside to calculate speed. Unit detects cadence alright. Have swapped out battery, checked that magnet i still magnetised and also repaired the device to the edge 500. Anyone got any other ideas? Also what are garmin like for possible faulty unit replacement under warranty? Bought it at the end of December 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

1 year warranty on Garmin products if you are picking up cadence but not speed it sounds like something is not as it should be. Either back to where you got it or if you have a proof of purchase contact Garmin directly. After 28 days they will repair or recondition a warranty product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

Have you turned off GPS on the Garmin when you are on the turbo?
    So got a turbo the other week and find since getting it that the speed sensor doesn't actually work. Don't know if it ever actually worked as suspect it was using GPS signal outside to calculate speed. Unit detects cadence alright. Have swapped out battery, checked that magnet i still magnetised and also repaired the device to the edge 500. Anyone got any other ideas? Also what are garmin like for possible faulty unit replacement under warranty? Bought it at the end of December 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

I had exactly the same issue. Only became a problem when I wanted to use it on the turbo for TrainerRoad. I got in touch with Garmin directly. They asked me to send on proof of purchase (the email invoice from amazon was sufficient). Within a week or so they sent on a brand new one. No need even to send back the defective unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

nailik wrote: »
    Have you turned off GPS on the Garmin when you are on the turbo?

Have tried it both on and off and still the same.

bren_mc wrote: »
    I had exactly the same issue. Only became a problem when I wanted to use it on the turbo for TrainerRoad. I got in touch with Garmin directly. They asked me to send on proof of purchase (the email invoice from amazon was sufficient). Within a week or so they sent on a brand new one. No need even to send back the defective unit.

Exact same here. Want to use with trainerroad. I've logged a support ticket with garmin(3 days response time). Item was bought directly from them as well so should hopefully speed up the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

I'm in the same position as OP. Bought at end of December last and only discovered the speed sensor not working when I started using the turbo. Bought from Amazon. I emailed Garmin support about a week ago. Finally got a reply today. Apparently they have a big backlog that they're trying to clear.
    The guy told me to try re-pairing it and changing the battery etc. I had tried these already. I think I'm just gonna send him back my Amazon receipt and see if they'll replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

rayquinn1 wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as OP. Bought at end of December last and only discovered the speed sensor not working when I started using the turbo. Bought from Amazon. I emailed Garmin support about a week ago. Finally got a reply today. Apparently they have a big backlog that they're trying to clear.
    The guy told me to try re-pairing it and changing the battery etc. I had tried these already. I think I'm just gonna send him back my Amazon receipt and see if they'll replace it

Just a thought.

I bought the new accelerometer based cadence sensor as I use the gps to calculate speed (and I don't use a trainer indoors as I'm not yet crazy). Anyway, when pairing it, after the Edge finds the sensor a submenu appears where you specify is it a cadence only sensor, or cadence and speed separately (the new wheel sensor as well), or cadence and speed combined (gsc10).

I think this arrived in a firmware update sometime. Would you try pairing the sensor again and ensure it picks the right choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

yeah i had the same experience trying to pair the new cadence sensor. i had originally clicked the cadence/speed sensor box and it didnt pair them. once i copped onto the above mentioned menu and clicked on the cadence only sensor it paired. yet to give it a whirl though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I had a similar problem last week and it turned out that the magnet on the back of the crankarm had shifted half an inch and stopped it working.

I just shifted it back into position and it's perfect again now.

It might be that simple.

pointer28 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem last week and it turned out that the magnet on the back of the crankarm had shifted half an inch and stopped it working.

I just shifted it back into position and it's perfect again now.

It might be that simple.

Have moved the magnet from wheel to wheel and always checked it was in correct spot. Still no response from garmin after 2 days.

• Advertisement

Just got a reply from Garmin support saying that since the faulty unit is inside the year's warranty they will send me out a new replacement free of charge.
    Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

I had a similar issue a while back. Thought it was broken (not uncommon) so contacted Garmin, who then sent out a replacement. I somehow managed to get it fixed just as the replacement arrived.

I think it had been getting 'confused' by the another GSC10 nearby or something because having left the battery out of it for several days, it somehow returned to working order (and for the most part, that's how it still is - working).

Just got a reply from Garmin support saying that since the faulty unit is inside the year's warranty they will send me out a new replacement free of charge.
    Happy days

I finally got a response today and it reeks for a copy and paste reply. I had already mentioned in my email all the things I said I had done and tried and they essentially told me to do them all again.

How long did they take to reply to you and how many emails before they decided to replace the device?

Took nearly a week to reply to my first email. That was a copy and paste type reply as well. I sent them back a reply saying I had already tried all their suggestions and attached a copy of the purchase invoice from Amazon and asked could they repair or replace. 2 days later (yesterday) they replied that they would replace the unit as soon as I sent them on my name, address and phone number. Didn't mention anything about returning the old unit.
    So just playing the waiting game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Took nearly a week to reply to my first email. That was a copy and paste type reply as well. I sent them back a reply saying I had already tried all their suggestions and attached a copy of the purchase invoice from Amazon and asked could they repair or replace. 2 days later (yesterday) they replied that they would replace the unit as soon as I sent them on my name, address and phone number. Didn't mention anything about returning the old unit.
    So just playing the waiting game now!

Without checking my old emails, I seem to remember much the same thing. It was pretty hassle free. I sent them the details, tried the troubleshooting steps (which didn't work) and they then agreed to replace it once I produced proof of purchase (which I had from a newer, working one).

The switches on these are known to fail; it's a poor design, from what I read.

Advertisement