Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two car insurance

Options
  • 29-09-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Is there an insurance com here which allows you to share a no claims bonus?
    My hubby is insured on his car and now we are trying to insure a car for me but I'm just starting, and if he tries to get insurance for us both he has to leave his no claims with the first car. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

So you want to use your husband's NCB to buy cheaper insurance for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JaneNolan101

Well, dont know really, we thought he could insure it and I'd go on as name driver, because I only have a Provisional - but his no claim is attached to his own car. So they're quoting 2500 and such. i wondered if there was any way around paying these really high premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Well, dont know really, we thought he could insure it and I'd go on as name driver, because I only have a Provisional - but his no claim is attached to his own car. So they're quoting 2500 and such. i wondered if there was any way around paying these really high premiums.

Insure yourself as a named driver on his car until you have passed your test, then purchase a car with a small engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No . There isnt. What you are proposing is to incorrectly state that your husband is the main driver of the vehicle, which he isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 TheMagee

Not sure if you've been named on your husbands policy but you have some insurance companies will give you no claims for those years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Ok your husband has to leave his NCB on his own car on his own policy therefore when you purchase insurance for the second car (your car) he cannot use the NCB mentioned above. It is worth mentioning that if you do indeed go ahead and purchase insurance is his name on his car with yourself as named driver but car is exclusively for your use the insurance company needs to know this. It is also worth noting that the offer of insurance for yourself on this vehicle may be on the condition that your are accompanied at all times by a fully qualified driver (someone who has passed their test and held full licence for a minimum period of two years). If you are stopped and do not meet this condition it may render the insurance cover void which could have an effect on your husbands other policy if your husband is the policy holder.

While you are a named driver on any policy you do not earn any NCB however you do earn whats known as named driving experience which an insurance company can convert into NCB when you purchase your own policy on your own car in your own name.

Regarding the figure of 2500 euro as you have not given info on this thread relating to the vehicle being insured I can't comment on whether this figure offers reasonable value however the members here (in particular on the 'motor' forum are knowledgeable and will comment on that matter further. My first insurance after passing my theory test in 2007 as a named driver was 1600.

Advertisement