Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank contactless?

Options
  • 19-07-2015 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Do any of you know whether UB are planning on ever having contactless Visa debit cards? They have them in the North and every other bank in ROI has them now so they are seriously lacking. I'm considering moving to ptsb if UB are not planning on stepping up to the plate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

My new Ulster Bank credit card has contactless built in but still no sign of the VISA debit cards having the same.

It seems kinda pointless on a credit card compared to a debit card in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just had my Irish & northern Irish debit cards replaced, despite being told they'd be contactless, they sent me old style ones. PITA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Apparently Contactless is finally coming to ROI Visa Debit Cards around October 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Downsey77 wrote: »
    Apparently Contactless is finally coming to ROI Visa Debit Cards around October 2016.

Oh finally that's good news. Where did you hear that? Internally or did them mention it on any of their social media, etc?

Their mobile app on android is broken for me since the last update (along with many others) which is really annoying. I used to use it regularly as it wasn't a bad app.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And no one is forcing you to have it, but why should those who want it, not be able to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Downsey77 wrote: »

Where did you hear that from?

Hopefully it's true as mine is due to expire in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Why is that, security concerns?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Well I want one. even thinking about moving bank because they are not given me any information when it'll arrive. last time i heard it was by end of year 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There should be a choice, I don't want one by default.

AFAIK you can ask your bank to turn it off if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

Any update on this? Still planned for October? If not I'll be moving to BOI. It's a shame though because their mobile app is so good.

Does anyone know the reason they still haven't adopted the contactless concept with their debit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Anyone heard anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote: »

Did you ask them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK you can ask your bank to turn it off if you wish.

Yes but some banks still issue you a card with a contactless functionality that can be turned on (ie some dodgy person could do it without your consent).

There are serious security concerns with contactless cards. Banks are not owning up to them.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

testicles wrote: »

That's ridiculous. Seriously considering changing banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I asked in my local branch of UB and I got talking to someone in the back who was a little bit more in the know apparently... She said there will not be any UB contactless cards for the foreseeable and definitely not this year as the fraud levels on cards goes up by some level and that all the banks were having serious problems with them, she gave me some facts and percentages and she really seemed to know what she was talking about. People with some scanning device under a jacket walking around in busy places taking €15 euro off peoples cards, in shops and public transport etc. I'm sure it's actually not that common but still it must be happening on some level.
    Before this I was really pushing for a contactless card but now she really changed my opinion about them so i'll be sticking with the chip and pin for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

sitstill wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Seriously considering changing banks.

I have debit card with UB and credit card with AIB. Neither have contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just been talking to them. They're hoping to have it in place by Xmas.

Apparently there's some old legacy banking systems down here that are holding up contactless & Applepay.

Both functions are available in NI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH, that sounds like a "pulled out of my ass" reply from a call centre rep. Ulster use exactly the same IT infrastructure as UB NI, Royal Bank of Scotland, NatWest and the other smaller banks within the RBS group (Isle of Man Bank, Coutts etc), all of which have contactless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

I asked in my local branch of UB and I got talking to someone in the back who was a little bit more in the know apparently... She said there will not be any UB contactless cards for the foreseeable and definitely not this year as the fraud levels on cards goes up by some level and that all the banks were having serious problems with them, she gave me some facts and percentages and she really seemed to know what she was talking about. People with some scanning device under a jacket walking around in busy places taking €15 euro off peoples cards, in shops and public transport etc. I'm sure it's actually not that common but still it must be happening on some level.
    Before this I was really pushing for a contactless card but now she really changed my opinion about them so i'll be sticking with the chip and pin for now.

100% correct! They have no plans to introduce them at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

Ulster Bank Ireland website is now showing their visa debit card (service card) as contactless. If you want to change your card wait for it to expire or go into branch to order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Ulster Bank Ireland website is now showing their visa debit card (service card) as contactless. If you want to change your card wait for it to expire or go into branch to order it.

Why do they have a debit card ? Based on the website, the debit card just looks like a crap version of the "service card"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just rang UB and they will issue new cards to me with contactless technology within four working days.

At long last!! I would have thought that now UB have gone contactless that Apple Pay is probably on the horizon.

Advertisement