Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councils, Public Lighting and Churches

Options
  • 04-05-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

First time poster so I am not entirely sure if this goes here or not.

I was reporting a lighting fault on the AUS website for Waterford ( airtricitysolutions.com/Content.aspx?key=report-fault) and I noticed there was an option to report a fault for St Johns Church Floodlights Waterford City.
    I was surprised at this, I thought the Church was paying for its own lighting.

Can anyone tell me why we are (via the council/s) maintaining and paying for the floodlighting for a church?

Can anyone also tell me if this is done for any other organisations e.g.) community centres flood lighting etc? If they are not, why not?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The specific issue is perhaps best raised woth your local council but on the general point of should a council pay for the floodlighting of a private building?

In theory I see nothing wrong with it and it can help to beautify a town. Theres a lot of anti church sentiment in Ireland these days but to be honest there have always been close connections which are not easy to sever, and I'd rather see the floodlights paid by the council than see the grim dark church making a town seem creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

The specific issue is perhaps best raised woth your local council but on the general point of should a council pay for the floodlighting of a private building?

In theory I see nothing wrong with it and it can help to beautify a town. Theres a lot of anti church sentiment in Ireland these days but to be honest there have always been close connections which are not easy to sever, and I'd rather see the floodlights paid by the council than see the grim dark church making a town seem creepy.

Why do posters feel the necessity to state that they are being honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bemurphy

I have emailed them but who knows how long before they reply/if I get a reply and I am wondering if anyone else might have asked this before/know about it

I am not trying to drum up anti church sentiment, I am trying to figure out why are they paying for it and if they are, are doing it for other buildings but if they are not, why not?

You are assuming that if the council does not pay for them, that the church them selves will not pay for it.

From the best of my knowledge I can't remember seeing the lights being on after 2/3 in the morning. So there might be times when "the grim dark church" is already occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Mearings wrote: »
    Why do posters feel the necessity to state that they are being honest?

Why do posters feel the necessity to ask pedantic questions?

OP, I checked through the list and Christchurch and the (Catholic) Cathedral are on it too. I'm not fan of any religion but these are rather attractive an architecturally significant buildings so that's why I'd presume they are being lit.

Advertisement