Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zone training with a HR monitor

Options
  • 20-04-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Ive found myself picking up lot of strength but need alot of recovery time between rides and quite sore legs, so got myself a garmin to monitor my cadence and HR, went out for a spin at intensity i usually go for 90mins and my HR averaged at 82% of my max, and rarely went under 155bpm and regularly hit 92% !
    So i suppose its no wonder my legs are in bits, but i find it very hard to pace at between 65%-75% im constantly going close to 80%.

Should i keep going this painfully slow to build endurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Perhaps worth remembering, that improvement comes with exercise and rest (and proper food), the latter being equally important.

If you want a recovery ride, then yes, you should stay at low HR, that also develops your cardio system and burns more fat for fuel. It requires discipline to go slow as it doesn't look that cool.

I find low intensity activity works better for me than no activity at all... And it doesn't have to be cycling, for example having a longer walk works quite well too and you don't need to wear the HRM.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You should be able to set up a zone alarm that will annoy the hell out of you if you don't stay in zone. One way to learn to pace your effort. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Schecter01 wrote: »
    Ive found myself picking up lot of strength but need alot of recovery time between rides and quite sore legs, so got myself a garmin to monitor my cadence and HR, went out for a spin at intensity i usually go for 90mins and my HR averaged at 82% of my max, and rarely went under 155bpm and regularly hit 92% !
    So i suppose its no wonder my legs are in bits, but i find it very hard to pace at between 65%-75% im constantly going close to 80%.

Should i keep going this painfully slow to build endurance?

Long story short. Yes. You need to go slower first and then the speed and endurance will come.

You should look into periodisation. Dissect your training into blocks of a few weeks.
    The first few blocks will be about operating at tempo (70-80%) on the longer rides and getting in strength work on the midweek shorter sessions (big ring, low cadence, push the gears)

After that you will move to the faster stuff.

Advertisement