Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tory MP - "In Ireland, we have the first ever Sikh candidate!"

Options
  • 10-04-2015 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Tory MP Rehman Chishti was on Channel 4 this week, and said something which would not please members of the unionist community. He said...

"In Ireland, we have the first ever Sikh candidate standing for the Conservative Party".

He is referring to Amandeep Singh Bhogal, who is running as a Conservative candidate in Upper Bann.

It's about 1:35 into this video.

Not sure how the likes of David Simpson of the DUP would feel being told his constituency is "in Ireland". But there you go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not sure how the likes of David Simpson of the DUP would feel being told his constituency is "in Ireland". But there you go.
    ]

Let's check with founder and leader of the DUP Ian Paisley
    "I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman" - June 1991.
    "I was born in the island of Ireland. I have Irish traits in me - we don't all have the traits of what came from Scotland, there is the celtic factor... and I am an Irishman because you cannot be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman" - June 1991.
    "I was born in the island of Ireland. I have Irish traits in me - we don't all have the traits of what came from Scotland, there is the celtic factor... and I am an Irishman because you cannot be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman

Most unionists in Northern Ireland dislike it if you refer to the place in which they live as 'Ireland'.

That doesn't mean they're right and nationalists are wrong, or vice versa.

But it is how they feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Most unionists in Northern Ireland dislike it if you refer to the place in which they live as 'Ireland'.

But it is how they feel.

I spend a lot of time in Northern Ireland, Belfast in particular and I have not come across such Unionists. Most openly say that they live on the island of Ireland.

Berserker wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time in Northern Ireland, Belfast in particular and I have not come across such Unionists. Most openly say that they live on the island of Ireland.

I, too, have been to Belfast many times in the past. I tend to avoid asking people whether they are unionist or nationalist, and if they regard themselves as living in Ireland.

The audience at The Nolan Show certainly didn't respond well when Gerry Kelly told them "we're in a part of Ireland" in 2012 (1 min 8 secs in).

And not to split hairs, but Rehman Chisht didn't say "on the island of Ireland", he said "in Ireland". There is a slight but important difference in interpretability.

James Craig, the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, who served for 19 years, was unambiguous on where he lived, as the clip below demonstrates (4 mins 25 secs in).

"We are part of Great Britain. I think I am right in saying we are the most loyal part of Great Britain."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Most Brits think Norn Ireland = Ireland anyway and find Loyalism an embarassment.

I'd imagine the Tories don't have a hope of getting this guy elected, though I suppose one would have to give them some credit for giving it a good old college try anyway, what ho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

mikemac1 wrote: »

Taking a few unrepresentative quotes from a bigot that over many decades preached hate against Irish nationalists and Roman Catholics probably isn't going to be the last word on this. There are many quotes - and more importantly, actions - that go against what he said in the ones you put up. One of the reasons why Paisley was successful as a politician, even though an awful bigot, was his willingness to say the right things to the right audience at the right times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

James Craig, the first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, who served for 19 years, was unambiguous on where he lived, as the clip below demonstrates (4 mins 25 secs in).

"We are part of Great Britain. I think I am right in saying we are the most loyal part of Great Britain."

Well in fariness, he's 100% incorrect.

Great Britain is an Island to the east of Ireland. Northern Ireland is not and never has been part of Great Britain. The name of the country even confirms this.

The country is called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" for a reason.

Northern Ireland part of the Island of Ireland. This is an indisputable fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

porsche959 wrote: »
    Taking a few unrepresentative quotes from a bigot that over many decades preached hate against Irish nationalists and Roman Catholics probably isn't going to be the last word on this

The OP asked what the DUP would think of this.I picked the politican who setup the party.

Well in fariness, he's 100% incorrect.

Great Britain is an Island to the east of Ireland. Northern Ireland is not and never has been part of Great Britain. The name of the country even confirms this.

The country is called "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" for a reason.

Northern Ireland part of the Island of Ireland. This is an indisputable fact.

As I've said before, I'm not saying unionists are right and nationalists are wrong, or vice versa.

I'm merely pointing out that most unionists in Northern Ireland would take issue with being told that they live 'in Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If only we had the tories in the republic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As I've said before, I'm not saying unionists are right and nationalists are wrong, or vice versa.

I'm merely pointing out that most unionists in Northern Ireland would take issue with being told that they live 'in Ireland'.

I don't think they would. What would anger many of them would be if they were referred to as Irish. In the recent census 40% of them described their identity as 'British only'.

There are a fair few happy to describe themselves as British and Irish.

I don't think there are many that actually refute the idea they are in Ireland, they will just go to great lengths to insert the word 'Northern' in front of the word 'Ireland'.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I was once asked in London if I was from Northern Ireland or southern Ireland.

I explained that I was from the midlands.

"Oh, you're from Birmingham?"

Collapse of stout party.

I don't think there are many that actually refute the idea they are in Ireland, they will just go to great lengths to insert the word 'Northern' in front of the word 'Ireland'.

If they "go to great lengths to insert the word Northern", then they aren't comfortable with being told they live "in Ireland".

If they "go to great lengths to insert the word Northern", then they aren't comfortable with being told they live "in Ireland".

You're being ridiculous now.

You're being ridiculous now.

No, I'm not. I'm stating something that is backed up by every poll, every soundbite and every prominent Unionist politician (with one or two possible exceptions).

If you think that unionists shouldn't have a problem with being told they live "in Ireland", then it is they you should be calling ridiculous, not me.

I'm neutral on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They are comfortable being associated with the island known as 'Ireland', i.e. the geographical entity. They are uncomfortable with being associated with the 26 county state that goes by the same name, hence why they will refer to 'Northern Ireland.'

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

In London I've had to explain to people that Belfast and Dublin are not side by side throwing bombs over at each other, (no joke). When Canadians call me British due to the British Isles, I call them Americans due to being in the Americas.
    I'd be more irked by a Tory thinking his government held sway outside of 'Northern'.
    Ireland or Northern Ireland are both equally valid.
    As the philosopher Eric B. once said, "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at".

For Reals wrote: »
    As the philosopher Eric B. once said, "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at".

Im pretty sure that was Rakim, not Eric B.

Young Eric didn't have much to be saying for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

porsche959 wrote: »
    Most Brits think Norn Ireland = Ireland anyway and find Loyalism an embarassment.

I'd imagine the Tories don't have a hope of getting this guy elected, though I suppose one would have to give them some credit for giving it a good old college try anyway, what ho.

Have you got confused between 1915 and 2015?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭I swindled the NSA

Great Britain is an Island to the east of Ireland. Northern Ireland is not and never has been part of Great Britain.

Well not since the end of the last ice age anyway :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If only we had the tories in the republic!

We do, they're called Renua.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

We may not have a Tory party but that does not mean that we are not a conservative nation.

Advertisement