Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine on the brink of civil war. Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

Anyway; the Russians should encourage a plebiscite in the Crimea and eastern Ukraine. Thats how they will gain from this. Secondly, the EU and Russia should fund a joint bailout for Ukraine, methinks, although with all the instability I'd imagine a **** load would be stolen by the state et al. Hell, even if the state wasn't unstable a good portion of it would be stolen.

The Crimea was Russian, wasn't it.
    It was made part of the Ukrainian SSR during the Soviet Union, I guess they just didnt forsee the Soviet Union ending.

Id prefer they bailed out our bailout than put a cent into the Ukraine, with all the money going missing there, it least it can be determined how it went missing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Sand wrote: »
    Ukraine should sell Crimea lock, stock and barrel to Russia for ... oooh... hundreds of billions of dollars, plus gas at a contract price of 50 dollars per 1000 cubic meters for the next 100 years. Ukraine gets rid of a population that seems desperate to regress to a Stalinist past and clears their bankruptcy issue and then some. Russia gets to feel big and important. Everyone wins.

Except the poor ****ing Tatars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

So what will the response of the west be? Most likely - Ban Ki Moon hand wringing and whinging. The EU will send Catherine Ashton who will laugh and smile and shake hands but do sweet FA. Obama will do nothing. The Europeans will do nothing. In short no-one will do anything.

The really big question is whether the Russians will stop at the border of Crimea and lets be honest, Crimea has just been anexed and probably will never rejoin the Ukraine. The question now is if the Russians go all the way to Kiev and install their former puppet there.

If the rest of the world act credibibly, they might not go that far. But if they see further weakness and indecision, they more than likely will go all the way to Kiev. And really, who is going to stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Honestly, you seem to arise infused with righteous and patriotic fury to defend the honour of Mother Russia with your keyboard everytime there is a topic that even indirectly involves Russia. Just did a quick search of your Politics posts: Russia, Russia, Syria (Russia), Syria again, (Russia again), North Korea, Hugo Chavez (angry at the "American Empire"), various Israel threads (old enemy of the USSR/Russia back Arab client states). Long gaps in between the topics of months at a time..

Do you honestly think that this worthless post will solicit anything more than a passing reaction from me? You actually sifted through my post history in order to find material.....wow. Well done, you get a research medal.
    Many of us gave a healthy scepticism of the Russian perma-president & what he might do.

Indeed. Putin has many flaws, and I believe a healthy criticism of these flaws is warranted. But theres a difference between healthy criticism of him and whats termed by a blogger as "Putin Derangement Syndrome" in which Putin is pretty much portrayed as a sinister demon incarnate by the MSM regularly.

The amount of stereotypes used by the MSM in stories about Russia is truly staggering: just a few weeks ago I witnessed Reuters (ostensibly a reliable source) using the phrase: "Mother Russia's bear hug" among others. The Irish Times was another. The Guardian practically riddles its articles with anti-Putin diatribes with no care for objectivity. I could go on about the Guardian's Russia section, which I read regularly for sheer hilarity, but I don't want to go off topic.
    The Crimea was Russian, wasn't it.
    It was made part of the Ukrainian SSR during the Soviet Union, I guess they just didnt forsee the Soviet Union ending.

Id prefer they bailed out our bailout than put a cent into the Ukraine, with all the money going missing there, it least it can be determined how it went missing here.

A crash course on the Crimea: The Crimean Khanate was a state on the peninsula composed mainly of Tatars which was aligned with the Ottoman Empire. It conducted ruinous slave raids within the territory of the Russian Empire. Catherine the Great annexed Crimea in the late 1700s. After the empire fell (and Ukraine was reconquered by the Soviets), the Holodomor depopulated a lot of eastern Ukraine, including Crimea, and the area was repopulated by many Russians. However, the Crimean Tatars (who are mainly muslim) retain a significant presence in the area.

Crimea was merged with the Ukrainian SSR as you said in the 1950s but before it had been part of the Russian SSR. After the USSR was dissolved, the new, independent Ukraine kept Crimea as part of its national territory.

Just another casualty of Soviet ignorance to ethnic groups. The Soviets just moved populations around willy-nilly. The Chechens, the Kazakhs, the Polish, the Germans...etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Didn't Crimea end up in the Ukrainian SSR only after Krushchev had been on a booze-sodden binge and got a mad notion in his mad Ukrainian head one night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Do you honestly think that this worthless post will solicit anything more than a passing reaction from me? You actually sifted through my post history in order to find material.....wow. Well done, you get a research medal.

Sifted through your post history? It wasn't like it took more than 30 seconds to right click on your name->Statistics->Find All Posts by ... and then click on Politics. I didn't have to wade through posts: Its just a wall of Russia, Russia, Russia. If that level of research to support a view deserves a medal in your judgement...well, okay, it probably does.

You asked an honest question, I gave you an honest answer backed by evidence, which others can objectively weigh and which I note you don't/cant actually contest. It really is you.

Sand wrote: »
    Sifted through your post history? It wasn't like it took more than 30 seconds to right click on your name->Statistics->Find All Posts by ... and then click on Politics. I didn't have to wade through posts: Its just a wall of Russia, Russia, Russia. If that level of research to support a view deserves a medal in your judgement...well, okay, it probably does.

You asked an honest question, I gave you an honest answer backed by evidence, which others can objectively weigh and which I note you don't/cant actually contest. It really is you.

Don't try and judge me based on trivial circumstantial evidence. Its none of your business what subjects I post on. You don't know what my personality is, what my interests are or what forums I lurk on (but don't post on). I don't regularly post on boards.ie these days anyway. Even then, just because I post on the subject of Russia doesn't mean I'm some sort of "defender of Mother Russia" or whatever cliche you have to throw out. "Mother Russia"? Seriously?

I regularly post on the politics boards because the subject interests me. If it doesn't, then I don't post. I'm naturally at a disadvantage because creeping through your (daily) posts would take me a lot longer than for you to breeze through my sporadic posts in the politics forums (interspersed with some off-topic areas which you conveniently ignored).

And who are you to determine whether my views are legitimate or not? So what if I think there is an American empire? Who gives a damn? Why have you even bothered to take me up on my beliefs?
    It really is likely just you who have the biased view when it comes to Russia.

Do you honestly think you have an unbiased view when it comes to Russia? You describe an imaginary "Russian empire" and "Russian aggression" verbatim from the Cold War Brzezinski handbook.....stop wasting my time, please. It's not just me who has a slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Don't try and judge me based on trivial circumstantial evidence. Its none of your business what subjects I post on. You don't know what my personality is, what my interests are or what forums I lurk on (but don't post on). I don't regularly post on boards.ie these days anyway. Even then, just because I post on the subject of Russia doesn't mean I'm some sort of "defender of Mother Russia" or whatever cliche you have to throw out. "Mother Russia"? Seriously?

That heartfelt, stirring defence would be more convincing if you hadn't inconveniently smeared people - in response to my post -as "Russophobic types".
    Is it just me, or is the politics forum filled with unreasonable Russophobic ("the Russians are coming! Quick, everybody join the EU!") types lately?

Do you then acknowledge that respect is a two way process? That smearing people as being Russophobic on basically no grounds at all is a potentially embarrassing prospect when your post history is well...Russian centric?

And to be clear - I'm not judging you. You asked if it was just you. I stated that very likely it was just you and provided you with evidence to support that view. And its not because you post on the subject of Russia. Its because while you post infrequently, when you do post its on Russian direct or indirect topics. By posting only on those topics you probably form a view that the forum is packed with anti-Russians which is fairly odd given how little interest most Irish people have in Russia. You're the one most interested in the topic to my memory - I only bothered checking your post history at all *because* I remembered you fighting the glorious defence of Mother Russia (with a spirit the defenders of Stalingrad would envy) a few months back.

Some kind of military conflict is starting to look likely - holy fyck.

I can't get over how an extreme right coup d'etat is being celebrated as a triumph for democracy in the west.

So...in the red corner...the forces of Putin's fascist new Russia...in the blue and yellow corner.... a rabble of neo nazis and right wing nationalists.

I am very glad I don't live there...which is more than I can say for my in-laws.

That heartfelt, stirring defence would be more convincing if you hadn't inconveniently smeared people - in response to my post -as "Russophobic types".

Do you deny that there are Russophobic types on these forums? You were the one who was describing "Russian aggression" and "imperialism".

I notice that anti-Russian sentiment is high whenever such a flashpoint crops up (I saw similar sentiment during the South Ossetia war). It is this fear of Russia which sullies our understanding of them as both a nation and a people (this goes both ways too, as many Russians similarly misunderstand our actions). I pray to god that this silliness in Ukraine doesn't erupt into overt conflict.

Secondly, I may post a lot about Russia, but that's because I essentially treat boards as a politics forum these days and I have an interest in Russian politics and foreign policy at the expense of other countries. So what? Its my interest...nevertheless, all my posts aren't virulently pro-Russian: a week or two ago I had a discussion here about how the Russian government was ineffective, overly large and cumbersome and that's just one example.
    And to be clear - I'm not judging you. You asked if it was just you. I stated that very likely it was just you and provided you with evidence to support that view. And its not because you post on the subject of Russia. Its because while you post infrequently, when you do post its on Russian direct or indirect topics.

Apologies, I seem to have misunderstood you to an extent. I appreciate that you have tried to explain your reasoning to me in an understandable manner, for that you have my respect.

But I deduced from your words that you were describing me as some sort of Russophile keyboard warrior suffering from a vehement patriotism for a country that is not mine. I have a morbid fascination with Russia, I admit that. I read Russian literature, listen to Russian music and indulge myself in Russian history and culture. I appreciate the country, and I try to make my posts (far from being diatribes defending my paymaster Putin) as objective as possible while still retaining the basis of my opinions.
    You're the one most interested in the topic to my memory - I only bothered checking your post history at all *because* I remembered you fighting the glorious defence of Mother Russia (with a spirit the defenders of Stalingrad would envy) a few months back.

Perhaps you could remind me of what post you are talking about (by PM if possible- i don't want to clog up the thread further). I don't seem to recall making a post like this. If I did, it was probably due to my KGB overlords paying me double. A man has to make a living in the recession, right?

• Advertisement

Do you deny that there are Russophobic types on these forums? You were the one who was describing "Russian aggression" and "imperialism".

I notice that anti-Russian sentiment is high whenever such a flashpoint crops up (I saw similar sentiment during the South Ossetia war). It is this fear of Russia which sullies our understanding of them as both a nation and a people (this goes both ways too, as many Russians similarly misunderstand our actions). I pray to god that this silliness in Ukraine doesn't erupt into overt conflict.

Secondly, I may post a lot about Russia, but that's because I essentially treat boards as a politics forum these days and I have an interest in Russian politics and foreign policy at the expense of other countries. So what? Its my interest...nevertheless, all my posts aren't virulently pro-Russian: a week or two ago I had a discussion here about how the Russian government was ineffective, overly large and cumbersome and that's just one example.

Apologies, I seem to have misunderstood you to an extent. I appreciate that you have tried to explain your reasoning to me in an understandable manner, for that you have my respect.

But I deduced from your words that you were describing me as some sort of Russophile keyboard warrior suffering from a vehement patriotism for a country that is not mine. I have a morbid fascination with Russia, I admit that. I read Russian literature, listen to Russian music and indulge myself in Russian history and culture. I appreciate the country, and I try to make my posts (far from being diatribes defending my paymaster Putin) as objective as possible while still retaining the basis of my opinions.

Perhaps you could remind me of what post you are talking about (by PM if possible- i don't want to clog up the thread further). I don't seem to recall making a post like this. If I did, it was probably due to my KGB overlords paying me double. A man has to make a living in the recession, right?

Dude, you're wasting your time: Russia (for good reason) is distrusted in the west; they've got a pretty unpleasant political set up there.

Of course Russia's an easy target for woolly thinkers and time-strapped/lazy journalists the western world over - Russia is not a democracy but it's not Saudi Arabia; neither is it anything as bad as what may emerge from the Ukrainian coup should some of its more active fascist elements (Svoboda, Praviy Sektor) gain real power.

Anyone I know from Ukraine is relieved that the Russians have stepped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

cerastes wrote: »
    How the fcuk can you siphon off billions, I suppose this isn't the thread for it, they have some experience of siphoning stuff off though :o

Still, they dont owe as much as we do, least they got some tanks and shhit for it

How did the winter Olympics cost over $50 billion dollars, which is more than than every other winter Olympics combined when the town of Sochi was still a bit of a kip and very little was built for the Olympics. Contracts are unfairly awarded and money just goes missing from the government departments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

What is Russia to do ? it has to protect its citizens and assets in Crimea region Yet the west is warning Putin to back off trying to put this simply is Russia within its rights to defend its people and assets ? or should they just forget about them
    to me that sounds crazy

hfallada wrote: »
    How did the winter Olympics cost over $50 billion dollars, which is more than than every other winter Olympics combined when the town of Sochi was still a bit of a kip and very little was built for the Olympics. Contracts are unfairly awarded and money just goes missing from the government departments

There was definitely graft in the Sochi games. There was most certainly a "good old boys club" mentality in the awarding of contracts. However, the cost was high in comparison to other games because of the huge infrastructure investments made in Sochi (Sochi was very underdeveloped for the games beforehand in comparison to, let's say, Vancouver).

Navalny included the costs of said infrastructural developments in his assessment of the cost of the Olympics, which is naturally the most readily accepted and quoted estimate in the western media (he has a clear agenda for blowing up the figures), but there is a debate in Russia as to whether they should be included because they weren't directly related to the Olympics (I'm talking about infrastructure like hotels, roads, railways etc. not stadiums which can be considered a cost directly related to the games).
    Dude, you're wasting your time: Russia (for good reason) is distrusted in the west; they've got a pretty unpleasant political set up there.

Russia is most certainly distrusted in the west, but that's because it carves its own path and hasn't aligned itself with the western power blocs. Its a rival, not an enemy. It shares some common objectives but diverges in others. Its not as distrusted as China or Iran, let's say, but continued misunderstanding between the EU/USA and Russia just pushes Russia towards China and Iran and away from "us", so to speak. I don't personally consider Russia as an enemy, even though I reside in a western power bloc.

It has nothing to do with politics. Why is Turkey, a similarly autocratic country, tolerated by the west? Why is Saudi Arabia and Qatar and Bahrain tolerated by the west? They have even more sinister political systems than Russia. Its because these countries align with the west, allow them to station troops on their soil and trade them their resources. That's why the west has made a rival out of Russia (and Russia has gladly made a rival out of the west).
    What is Russia to do ? it has to protect its citizens and assets in Crimea region Yet the west is warning Putin to back off trying to put this simply is Russia within its rights to defend its people and assets ? or should they just forget about them
    to me that sounds crazy

Russia should simply encourage a plebiscite in Crimea (I believe a referendum is being held there in May on the issue of secession). If Crimea says yes, then Ukraine will have to let it go or else risk losing western support against Russia. The ethnic Russians get their independent state and they can decide or not to pursue closer relations with Russia.

hfallada wrote: »

How? Answer your own question - the Russian ruling class doesn't really give a sh!te about social or economic equality.

They're not alone - the only difference between Fine Gael/Fianna Fail and Putin is charisma, gas and an enormous military.

Russia is most certainly distrusted in the west, but that's because it carves its own path and hasn't aligned itself with the western power blocs. Its a rival, not an enemy. It shares some common objectives but diverges in others. Its not as distrusted as China or Iran, let's say, but continued misunderstanding between the EU/USA and Russia just pushes Russia towards China and Iran and away from "us", so to speak. I don't personally consider Russia as an enemy, even though I reside in a western power bloc.

It has nothing to do with politics. Why is Turkey, a similarly autocratic country, tolerated by the west? Why is Saudi Arabia and Qatar and Bahrain tolerated by the west? They have even more sinister political systems than Russia. Its because these countries align with the west, allow them to station troops on their soil and trade them their resources. That's why the west has made a rival out of Russia (and Russia has gladly made a rival out of the west).

Russia should simply encourage a plebiscite in Crimea (I believe a referendum is being held there in May on the issue of secession). If Crimea says yes, then Ukraine will have to let it go or else risk losing western support against Russia. The ethnic Russians get their independent state and they can decide or not to pursue closer relations with Russia.
    Yes, but Russia is also a fascist state.

Culturally, the only voices that are heard are those that promote white-euro centric Russian identity - you know that licensed thug Zhirinovsky? His is the default, salt of the earth . xenophobic point of view of most ordinary Russians - or so you would belive if your only source of information was via the state-sanctioned media like RTR, NTV, Rossiya 24 and so on.

The situation in Ukraine is crazy because the alternative - out and out fascism - is worse than either the existing Ukrainian political system or what Russia could offer.

What's on the menu in Ukraine now? Neo nazism, Putin's Mussolini in drag act, or Fine Gaelski aka the Fatherland party/Udar?

Help!

Yes, but Russia is also a fascist state.

If you think Russia is a fascist state, then you may be confused about the concept of fascism.

Whatever your opinions about the Russian state, western distrust of Russia is unrelated to the quality of it's government. Even then, that's assuming that "the west" is a monolithic entity. It's not.

Some western nations have excellent trade relations with Russia, others don't. Most western countries have a reasonably neutral viewpoint towards Russia. The USA, on the other hand....to say that some political figures in the US have an anti-Putin derangement disorder would be an understatement (some of them have even made personal attacks on him rather than his admittedly authoritarian style of governance). Even then, the USA is not monolithic and there are those who have advocated a normalisation of relations with Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

bob50 wrote: »
    to me that sounds crazy

Are Crimean residents not citizens of Ukraine?
    Im sure there are some Russian citizens living there, but surely the bulk of residents are Ukrainian?

And the military assets are/were not under threat anyway.

If you think Russia is a fascist state, then you may be confused about the concept of fascism.

Whatever your opinions about the Russian state, western distrust of Russia is unrelated to the quality of it's government. Even then, that's assuming that "the west" is a monolithic entity. It's not.

Some western nations have excellent trade relations with Russia, others don't. Most western countries have a reasonably neutral viewpoint towards Russia. The USA, on the other hand....to say that some political figures in the US have an anti-Putin derangement disorder would be an understatement (some of them have even made personal attacks on him rather than his admittedly authoritarian style of governance). Even then, the USA is not monolithic and there are those who have advocated a normalisation of relations with Russia.

I think most western countries recognise Russia for what it is to be fair, run by a prototypical cold war warrier/strongman who accepts no opposition in his own country and wants a Soviet Union like buffer zone around Russia. Freedom of speech and expression in Russia is extremely limited, the recent crackdowns on gay rights as well as on the right to protest in moscow is evidence of that. Russia and Putin becomes more dictatorial by the day. Where does it stop? Today Crimea, tomorrow Ukraine, after that? Poland? Finland?

born2bwild wrote: »
    Some kind of military conflict is starting to look likely - holy fyck.

I can't get over how an extreme right coup d'etat is being celebrated as a triumph for democracy in the west.

So...in the red corner...the forces of Putin's fascist new Russia...in the blue and yellow corner.... a rabble of neo nazis and right wing nationalists.

I am very glad I don't live there...which is more than I can say for my in-laws.

Nonsense. Whenever a corrupt government like the previous one falls, immediately people pick out the most extreme elements of those who brought it down. They did it for Syria too and I am not going to digress into Syria, only to say, that people ignore the 99% of peaceful protesters or ordinary defectors fighting the Assad regime and instead highlight and exagerate the role played by extremist opponents.

Those who opposed Yanachovich came from a broad spectrum of Ukranian society. The guy was clearly a thief who lived a lavish lifestyle on a salary of perhaps 50,000 a year. You do the maths. It was also a revolution against the Ukranian oligarchs who have made fortunes in recent years while the economy at the same time was brought to its knees.

In any case Yanachovich brought it all on himself. If killing 100 people in cold blood isnt reason to overthrow a president, then what is? It wasn't a coup but a legitimate overthrowing of a mass murdering tyrant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

6,000 Russian troops now in Ukraine, according to Sky.

Though I wonder is that just the Sevastopol garrison or are they new arrivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Reports that Russian forces are trying to take a Ukrainian anti aircraft missile site now

realweirdo wrote: »
    Nonsense. Whenever a corrupt government like the previous one falls, immediately people pick out the most extreme elements of those who brought it down. They did it for Syria too and I am not going to digress into Syria, only to say, that people ignore the 99% of peaceful protesters or ordinary defectors fighting the Assad regime and instead highlight and exagerate the role played by extremist opponents.

Those who opposed Yanachovich came from a broad spectrum of Ukranian society. The guy was clearly a thief who lived a lavish lifestyle on a salary of perhaps 50,000 a year. You do the maths. It was also a revolution against the Ukranian oligarchs who have made fortunes in recent years while the economy at the same time was brought to its knees.

In any case Yanachovich brought it all on himself. If killing 100 people in cold blood isnt reason to overthrow a president, then what is? It wasn't a coup but a legitimate overthrowing of a mass murdering tyrant.
    Svoboda has had a militia for years and until recently forbade non-ethnic Ukrainians to join. They are fascists: their hero is a WW2 - era nazi, Stepan Bandera.

The groups loosely described as 'Praviy Sektor' all share neo-nazi ideologies and are basically just violent thugs.

These two are the groups who were involved in the violence - the 'peaceful' protesters were just that - peaceful. From January onwards the fascists took over.

What happened was a fascist coup d'etat.

You do know that the Party of the Regions got over 50% of the vote when Yanokovich was elected? 50 percent?

Where's your broad spectrum? Seriously. Everyone I know from Ukraine (and I know many people from there) is appalled at the violence, terrified of the right wing thuggery unleashed on the maidan and unsure as to whether they should laugh or cry at the ignorance and duplicity of the common western belief that some kind of people's revolution has taken place.

Listen. I've lived there, I know what I'm talking about - however much you and all the western press want this to be a democratic revolution - it's just not the case.

It was, plain and simple, a fascist coup d'etat.

Of course, the Party of the Regions' administration was extremely corrupt and politically, pretty right wing, too. Yanukovich is a thug and robber and an ex-con.

You do know he was convicted of rape, too?

My point is, I'm no supporter of the Russian administration, or of Yanukovich's party: but if you think that what is likely to replace them (The centre right Fatherland and Udar parties and the thugs from Svoboda and Praviy Sektor) is more democratic, less corrupt, then you are very very mistaken: these people are dangerous and just as unconcerned with democracy as Yanukovich was.

The economy was brought to its knees over many many years - including when Tymoshenko and Yushenko were in power - Yatsenuk, too was PM as Ukraine's economy continued on, 'biznes' (pun intended) as usual and now the US sees him as the most likely future President!!!

When I lived there it was just after the Orange Revolution. I worked there for a year and paid...wait for it...no tax whatsoever. No one pays tax, everyone's on the take. Everyone.

Anyone who singles out Yanokovich is either ignorant of that fact or pretending not to see it.

And don't forget: the peaceful protestors' representatives are Yatsenuk's party (Fatherland) - whose leader is....Yulia Tymoshenko. Yulia Tymoshenko is just as corrupt as Yanukovich - everyone knows that - the fact that her imprisonment was politically motivated does not change this fact.

Wakey wakey, folks - letting the fascist genie out of the bottle is very dangerous - pretending it's the people's revolution is a betrayal of the very egalitarian ideals that you may be wishing to see put into practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Treating people as criminals because of their sexual orientation(Kristallnacht style event seeming inevitable at this point tbh) . Jailing protesters, jailing political opposition. Beating people on the streets and allowing those that do so to get away with it. They're on a path to fascism.

Ukraine has a wide mix of ethnicities and political factions. They range from the far right to the far left who still admire Lenin and even Stalin, the latter who was at least as brutal as Hitler, if not more so. In between these extremes are the vast majority of Ukranians, perhaps 90%, who just want a modern prosperous Ukraine.

In recent elections, the neo nazis as you describe them have come nowhere in results. In others words, they have no popular support among the people.

Again the reason why Yanochovic was thrown out of power was that his police and army were no longer prepared to protect him after he gave orders to use live ammunition on protesters. It had very little to do with neo nazis. No president can survive when he doesn't retain the protection of his security services.

Trying to pin the blame on "neo nazis" just doesn't cut it.

Ukraine has a wide mix of ethnicities and political factions. They range from the far right to the far left who still admire Lenin and even Stalin, the latter who was at least as brutal as Hitler, if not more so. In between these extremes are the vast majority of Ukranians, perhaps 90%, who just want a modern prosperous Ukraine.

In recent elections, the neo nazis as you describe them have come nowhere in results. In others words, they have no popular support among the people.

Again the reason why Yanochovic was thrown out of power was that his police and army were no longer prepared to protect him after he gave orders to use live ammunition on protesters. It had very little to do with neo nazis. No president can survive when he doesn't retain the protection of his security services.

Trying to pin the blame on "neo nazis" just doesn't cut it.

So you agree with me.

Neither Svoboda nor Praviy Sektor has a democratic mandate. Neither for that matter does Fatherland or Udar.

The only reason the corrupt, fascist leaning Party of the Regions (who ironically has a mandate to rule!!!) is not in power is because Svoboda and Praviy Sektor went toe to toe with Berkut and sacrficed 70-80 martyrs to the cause.

In other words the fascists staged a coup d'etat.

Is this going to give the 90% a modern, prosperous Ukraine?

The fascists won't - no more than Russia would if they controlled Ukraine again.

Well, are Fatherland and Udar going to give it to them? The likes of Yatsenuk and Tymoshenko have been in government as much as Yanukovich has over the past ten years and they haven't done it yet.

On the matter of Yanukovich losing power: he was deserted by key figures, sure, but not because he massacred 70 -80 people - he was deserted because common sense had not deserted others - he was a dead duck and self - preservation drove people away from him.

By the way there's absolutely nothing left wing about those who 'support Lenin' in Russia or Ukraine - Lenin would be spinning in his grave (again) if he saw what was happening these days.

I'm afraid the Lenin thing goes no deeper than iconography - the statues of Lenin that everyone seems to love/hate are symbols for nationalists - certainly not socialists - of either the Ukrainian or Russian persuasion.

Democracy has very few supporters in Slavonic political traditions. The twentieth century plague of nationalism is infecting and poisoning all sides in this mess.

A president ordered his security forces to use live ammunition on protesters. The following day a number of leaders of security services said they would no longer serve the president. He fled soon after because he no longer retained their support. How on earth can you call that a coup?

He tried to annihalate the protests and it backfired, he ran away and then cried "coup".

Seriously, the guy should be on front of the ICC, not running a country.

And towing the Putin/Yanukovych line about it being a coup, a pair of proven liars, seriously, is that be best you can come up with. Putin always says the opposite of what he really means. If he says he won't invade somewhere, you can be sure he's planning to invade.

A president ordered his security forces to use live ammunition on protesters. The following day a number of leaders of security services said they would no longer serve the president. He fled soon after because he no longer retain their support. How on earth can you call that a coup?

He tried to annihalate the protests and it backfired, he ran away and then cried "coup".

Seriously, the guy should be on front of the ICC, not running a country.

A coup is when power changes hands though violent means - there was a change in government last week after a series of limited engagements between football ultras and neo-nazi thugs on the one side and Berkut on the other.

100-ish dead bodies later, the violence was set to continue and would have continued if Yanokovich hadn't been deserted.

You clearly support the current Ukrainian administration but they weren't elected - they used the fascist thugs and neo nazis to bring it to a head - they used violence to seize power - they didn't use the ballot box - they took control of the government through violence - I call that a coup d'etat.

You clearly support the current 'leaders' in Ukraine - in time you'll see that it's a case of plus ca change plus ca la meme choses - no matter, but they are not where they are because of peaceful protests or because of elections.

If you don't want to use the words coup d'etat, what do you want to call it?

As for Yanukovich going in front of the ICC - sure, why not?

I'd be sending Tyahnybok and Dimitri Yarosh along with him, too.

And towing the Putin/Yanukovych line about it being a coup, a pair of proven liars, seriously, is that be best you can come up with. Putin always says the opposite of what he really means. If he says he won't invade somewhere, you can be sure he's planning to invade.

What are you talking about?

Have you read what I've written about Russia and Yanokovich?

Putin has already invaded Ukraine.

His political ideology is essentially the same as that espoused by Svoboda and Praviy Sektor - he is a dangerous undemocratic, modern-day Mussolini while the guys who staged the Kiev coup d'etat are essentially nazis.

Give him some credit though, he hates Mr Cleptovitch aka Yanokovich, too.

This is nothing more than one group of extreme nationalists versus another.

The fact that I call a coup a coup doesn't mean I agree with anything that Yanokovich or Putin says, does or thinks.

• Advertisement

born2bwild wrote: »
    A coup is when power changes hands though violent means - there was a change in government last week after a series of limited engagements between football ultras and neo-nazi thugs on the one side and Berkut on the other.

So you think its ok for a president to kill protesters or people he doesn't like?
    And he should not be held to account? Maybe in the Russian sphere of influence its ok and in your mind its ok, but its not ok.

Do you seriously think if a western European government did what Yanokovich did, they would be allowed stay in power?

The guy was a mass murdering thug, can't you get that through your head?

I worry about people like you to be honest, a person who condones the use of snipers and live ammunition against protests. For people like you its ok for governments to stay in power and use any means to do so.

As for the situation now, it looks like Russia are going to invade the whole of Ukraine. I'm sure you will be happy with that, just so long as your so called "coup" can be reversed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement