Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massage

• 23-08-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this on but just looking for opinions... my fiance is a newly qualified massage therapist and just after putting up some flyers to get some clients in. Because my english is much better than his we agreed that i would take the calls and arrange the appointments for him (like his secretary :p). So yesterday the phone rang and i answered it and it was a guy saying he wanted a full body massage. When he found out it's not me who does the massage he was a bit surprised and started saying he never got a massage from a guy and not sure if he would be comfortable with it, so i said it's up to him and if he doesn't feel good about it we can cancel it. He said i had a nice voice and asked me again if i don't do the massages... i have to say i felt a bit weird and still do when i think about that phonecall. I feel now i should have asked him what kind of massage did he think he was going to get when he wanted a woman to do it??? Do you think it was just a weirdo thinking it would be a fun to get a woman touching him for 30 euro or are men REALLY uncomfortable getting a massage from a man? My dad is a massage therapist as well and works in a spa and never had any problems with this. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Wouldnt bother me at all.I would view massage therapists like doctors or physios,they have seen it and done it all before.Believe me,if you can get past another man cupping your balls (the doc,not the physio) a massage is a walk in the park.

It does sound like yer man that called was looking for a massage with a happy ending though.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Agreed

That caller had something else in mind.
    FYI - while I have enjoyed the few massages I have received I am not comfortable being touched by a stranger - male / female - but I have never ever asked which it would be. Had to though for sports injuries.

I think though you handled the call very well.
    I also think that you were right not to ask him what type of massage he was looking for... That might have been the opening he was looking for. Just keep it professional and to the point - polite but friendly. Let them know they will receive a professional massage from a qualified male masseuse.

This will probably not be the last of these calls you get so maybe have the standard patter ready to let them know they are calling the wrong type of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

It actually would bother me, wouldnt be to comfortable with a guy giving me a full body massage.

Although I have recieved leg rub downs after football from men and there have been no issues.

Maybe its something to do with the setting and the reason behind the massage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Taltos wrote: »
    Agreed

That caller had something else in mind.
    Indeed they did.
    I think though you handled the call very well.
    I also think that you were right not to ask him what type of massage he was looking for... That might have been the opening he was looking for. Just keep it professional and to the point - polite but friendly. Let them know they will receive a professional massage from a qualified male masseuse.
    I agree totally, very good way to handle that caller tbh. He does sound like someone chancing his arm thinking it was a massage parlour, and not a clinic.
    This will probably not be the last of these calls you get so maybe have the standard patter ready to let them know they are calling the wrong type of service.
    Danye wrote: »
    It actually would bother me, wouldnt be to comfortable with a guy giving me a full body massage.

Although I have recieved leg rub downs after football from men and there have been no issues.

Maybe its something to do with the setting and the reason behind the massage.
    But the setting behind a massage is either relaxation or rehabilitation. I know this for i am myself a fully trained and qualified massage therapist. Guys have to uphold the same moral standards as women when giving massage and client modesty is one of them. Nobody unless a complete moron of a therapist is going to bat an eyelid about you having treatment. Nothing is discussed outside of a treatment room, just like at a G.P. surgery.

Leg rub-downs are not all that different from some effleurage and petrissage techniques from Swedish massage you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

woman wrote: »
    are men REALLY uncomfortable getting a massage from a man?

I would be, if I'm honest. Unless i knew the guy well. Now that I think about it the last massage I got was off a bloke, but it was a pre-fight warm up type massage. But yeah, generally I'd have a strong preference for a female.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

Khannie wrote: »
    I would be, if I'm honest. Unless i knew the guy well. Now that I think about it the last massage I got was off a bloke, but it was a pre-fight warm up type massage. But yeah, generally I'd have a strong preference for a female.
    Heh, and if I had to make a choice (I don't mind in general), I would probably be the opposite.

With a man there's (usually...) no chance of misunderstanding or 'wrong physiological reactions' :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

some effleurage and petrissage techniques from Swedish massage

the what and the what now?? :confused: sounds painful lol

as for the topic at hand, well I've had massage from both males and females and really have no preference. That is unless the female is super-hot, then if given the choice I think I'd go for the female. Doesn't bother me that it'd be a bloke doing the work or touching me. Once you got the credentials I say go for it.

Advertisement