Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migraine Problem

Options
  • 03-11-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I'm having an awful time with migraines at the moment. I'm now 26 and male. When i was a teenager i used to struggle with migraines - usually 1-2 per week. This stopped when i identified chocolate as being the trigger. Between the ages of 17-25 i had only 2-3 migraines in total.

I recently turned 26 though and no i'm struggling with them again. I still don't eat chocolate. I'd say over the past 12 weeks i've had in the region of 15 migraines - usually in clusters of say 2 in 3 days.

Today i had my third migraine in three days. The strange thing is, the migraine on saturday came at 1230, on sunday at 1300 and then today 1230 again. I don't know what's happening!

I suffer migraine with aura. As soon as i take the blurred vision i take 2 nurofen plus headache tablets. The blurred vision usually subsides in 45 mins-1 hour. Then i am left with a dull headache which the Nurofen evetually takes away.

I don't know what is causing them. 80% of the migraines are coming around lunchtime, with the rest coming late at night. Around 2/3s are coming at the weekend. I seem to be getting one whenever i have any kind of lie-in on a day off. I use a computer alot - sometimes between 8-12 hours per day.

I have an appointment booked with my GP tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had any advice here before then.

Grateful for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Not much can be done without finding what triggers them now. I get the aura as well and when that happens, I take a couple of tablets (I use codeine) and get to a dark room as quick as I can. The headache lasts anything from 6 hours to 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Forgive me if this is not suitable but i also suffer a great deal from migraines and they happen at any time of the day in my case.Tried tabs,going to dark rooms and so on but they never worked for me but what i found got rid of it nearly every time was going and having some "private time". I dont know if it works or is it just some sort of mental thing and once again sorry if this is innapropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

theres a good chance that being in front of a computer for so long is part of the problem. have you tried a screen filter or even sunglasses. take the strain off the eyes.

another thing could be an allergy to something. it could be dairy. could be anything really. there are places you can get an allergy test done.

pain killers only mask the symptoms - not the cause. some people keep a little journal of everything they do and eat for a while, and look back to see if they can find the trigger.

nothing worse than an exploding head mate. i hope you sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hey OP, my Dad suffers from migraines aswell. Usually they come after he's fasted for a while - do you ever go for long periods without food?
    He also cut out cheese from his diet, because he thought that may have been a trigger.
    Unfortunately, even with triggers eliminated, migraines can still come randomly. You should always go somewhere dark and quiet and try to sleep. My Dad has special tablets just for when he gets a migraine (I think they're called Imagram) . Your GP will be able to help more anyway.
    Forgive me if this is not suitable but i also suffer a great deal from migraines and they happen at any time of the day in my case.Tried tabs,going to dark rooms and so on but they never worked for me but what i found got rid of it nearly every time was going and having some "private time". I dont know if it works or is it just some sort of mental thing and once again sorry if this is innapropriate.

LOL, sounds like a fantastic cure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 drewbedo

i suffer very severe with migraines and chocolate is a trigger any substance with caffeine which i have eradicayed from my diet.
    i find it interesting that you say that you are getting them on days that if you have a lie on. that is classic of migraines that i can get also and has got to do with carbon dioxide that you retain instead of exhaling dilates the vessels in the brain.. ans its this dilation of the vessels in the brain and the blood flowing through the vessels at a fast high volume that causes the pounding pulsing migraine.. hope this helps.
    so it can be worthwhile to get up when your awake and go back for a snooze a while later that way the carbon dioxide does not build up in your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Red Wine & Caffeine were my 2 triggers, cut them out completely except for the odd cup of tea, since then i've had very infrequent migraines, triggered by stress, dehydration and maybe bright lights.

i find migraleve tablets very good. Also, if you're a red wine drinker check out the ingredients for sulphates, i'm told its them then the red wine which cause the migranes, apparently some very good organic wines dont have sulphates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement