Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new neighbour is selling tobacco from his house.

Options
  • 17-09-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

This is probably not the right forum to ask? but my new neighbour of 6 months sells tobacco out of his house , and TBH I'm sick of people knocking on my door looking for him at the most random times , how do I report him to revenue? is there a number for such a thing and if I do report him is it anonymous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Give the local Garda station a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Give the local Garda station a call.

+1 What they are doing is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

1800666111 - garda confidential line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Call customs in Revenue. They have a special 1800 number for it, but I cant find it. I think it might be the same one for drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Let me get my supply of smokes in first before you rat him out.....Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

The black market thrives with 10 euro for a pack of smokes....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Illegal Cigarettes Hotline - If you have information about illegal cigarettes contact our confidential hotline ......Freephone 1800 295 295

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

don't squeal him up man

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Let me get my supply of smokes in first before you rat him out.....Cheers.

Nah, we could do with the extra tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I'd say leave it but in the case of people calling to your house your probably better off reporting him.

• Advertisement

don't squeal him up man

why not ??

does it make a difference if its drugs or illegal cigarettes ? ...its still illegal and people like him are the reason the rest of us get hit with more and more taxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's the other way around, more and more taxes are the reason people like him are growing in number.

Corkbah wrote: »
    why not ??

does it make a difference if its drugs or illegal cigarettes ? ...its still illegal and people like him are the reason the rest of us get hit with more and more taxes.

IMO yes it does make a difference.it's not crystal meth he's peddling just a few cartons of smokes making a few quid,I take it your not a smoker cause if you were you'd be a customer I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

It's cigarettes, not meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It never fails to astound me that people think this is harmless. The money is just as likely to be flowing into something more sinister from cigarettes and cannabis as it is from coke and heroin.

IMO yes it does make a difference.it's not crystal meth he's peddling just a few cartons of smokes making a few quid,I take it your not a smoker cause if you were you'd be a customer I reckon.

so where do you draw the line ?? is selling weed ok, how about lsd ? angeldust ?? coke (the snorting kind - not the drinking kind)....its illegal for a reason ?

is it ok to break the law on having a gun illegally ? (even if no-one gets killed or injured)

what about selling fake Nike/Adidas or Rolex .... what about genuine stuff like a breitling watch or something else thats been stolen ? is there a difference to sell it if you didn't steal it or if you did steal it ? either way its still handling stolen property !!

the laws are there to make society work properly - breaking the laws kinda fecks it up for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Actually people like him are keeping taxes down on cigarettes, government has made their owndrug peddling more lucrative that illegal drugs, and now other player's moving I on the states turf

btw dont smoke any more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭bigroad

Find out what price he is selling at.Can you give us your location.I will send cops now but they will be undercover.Thanks dude ,you have done your country a great service.

rasper wrote: »
    Actually people like him are keeping taxes down on cigarettes, government has made their owndrug peddling more lucrative that illegal drugs, and now other player's moving I on the states turf

btw dont smoke any more

Guy on the radio during the week saying tobacco companies made €110 million profit in Ireland last year alot less than the €1.2 billion euro the government made off the tobacco companies,forgive me if I don't lose any sleep over some guy selling fags out of his front door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Do it in the most distant way possible , as you may have a conscience problem afterwards .

And could have other problems too, if your neighbour finds out it was you .

Your best to ignore it completely , and get on with your life , and stop worrying about others lives .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Make an anonymous tip to the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

What makes you so sure it's just cigarettes that are being sold? Nobody is going to come knocking at your door inquiring where is the drug dealer! You don't know the full extent of what's going on there. You don't know what type of people this activity is attracting into your area, or how it will develop if allowed to continue. Better nipped in the bud - i.e. report to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

know someone who reported their neighbour for something similar and their life wasn't worth living yer man flipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

IMO, too many of us lack the courage to do what needs to be done. It's a criminal activity that's going on, and if not checked, who knows what it can develop into. Of course, you would need to go the anonymous route - and even then, you could have some fallout from your actions. But, if you don't take action, you may have a much greater problem in years to come, if you are still living there. Greed is an appetite that increases with time. If they have built up a customer base, who knows where they are going to take it from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 onemoredead

better off, " mind your own business"

just let them, get on with it , as will get caught in the end!!

in small towns like (bagnalstown,thomastown,tramore etc) "eveybody will find out soon enough"

but, i'd be pi55'd if people calling to my door!!

@ end of day "its your call" DO WHAT YOU THING IS BEST FOR YOU. :)

hope allworks out, weather or which : :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's revenue, people. You pay taxes because this guy doesn't. Grass him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Corkbah wrote: »
    why not ??

No. People like Enda Kenny are the reason we get hit with more and more taxes.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    No. People like Enda Kenny are the reason we get hit with more and more taxes.

you really think Enda Kenny makes a decision about taxes in this country ??

Civil Servants, the troika, Angela Merkel ...maybe ... but don't try to give Enda Kenny the credit for increasing taxation !!

Advertisement