Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My new neighbour is selling tobacco from his house.

• 17-09-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

This is probably not the right forum to ask? but my new neighbour of 6 months sells tobacco out of his house , and TBH I'm sick of people knocking on my door looking for him at the most random times , how do I report him to revenue? is there a number for such a thing and if I do report him is it anonymous?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Give the local Garda station a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Give the local Garda station a call.

+1 What they are doing is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

1800666111 - garda confidential line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Call customs in Revenue. They have a special 1800 number for it, but I cant find it. I think it might be the same one for drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Let me get my supply of smokes in first before you rat him out.....Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

The black market thrives with 10 euro for a pack of smokes....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hullabulloo

Illegal Cigarettes Hotline - If you have information about illegal cigarettes contact our confidential hotline ......Freephone 1800 295 295

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

don't squeal him up man

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Let me get my supply of smokes in first before you rat him out.....Cheers.

Nah, we could do with the extra tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I'd say leave it but in the case of people calling to your house your probably better off reporting him.

• Advertisement

don't squeal him up man

why not ??

does it make a difference if its drugs or illegal cigarettes ? ...its still illegal and people like him are the reason the rest of us get hit with more and more taxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's the other way around, more and more taxes are the reason people like him are growing in number.

Corkbah wrote: »
    why not ??

does it make a difference if its drugs or illegal cigarettes ? ...its still illegal and people like him are the reason the rest of us get hit with more and more taxes.

IMO yes it does make a difference.it's not crystal meth he's peddling just a few cartons of smokes making a few quid,I take it your not a smoker cause if you were you'd be a customer I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

It's cigarettes, not meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It never fails to astound me that people think this is harmless. The money is just as likely to be flowing into something more sinister from cigarettes and cannabis as it is from coke and heroin.

IMO yes it does make a difference.it's not crystal meth he's peddling just a few cartons of smokes making a few quid,I take it your not a smoker cause if you were you'd be a customer I reckon.

so where do you draw the line ?? is selling weed ok, how about lsd ? angeldust ?? coke (the snorting kind - not the drinking kind)....its illegal for a reason ?

is it ok to break the law on having a gun illegally ? (even if no-one gets killed or injured)

what about selling fake Nike/Adidas or Rolex .... what about genuine stuff like a breitling watch or something else thats been stolen ? is there a difference to sell it if you didn't steal it or if you did steal it ? either way its still handling stolen property !!

the laws are there to make society work properly - breaking the laws kinda fecks it up for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Actually people like him are keeping taxes down on cigarettes, government has made their owndrug peddling more lucrative that illegal drugs, and now other player's moving I on the states turf

btw dont smoke any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Find out what price he is selling at.Can you give us your location.I will send cops now but they will be undercover.Thanks dude ,you have done your country a great service.

rasper wrote: »
    Actually people like him are keeping taxes down on cigarettes, government has made their owndrug peddling more lucrative that illegal drugs, and now other player's moving I on the states turf

btw dont smoke any more

Guy on the radio during the week saying tobacco companies made €110 million profit in Ireland last year alot less than the €1.2 billion euro the government made off the tobacco companies,forgive me if I don't lose any sleep over some guy selling fags out of his front door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Do it in the most distant way possible , as you may have a conscience problem afterwards .

And could have other problems too, if your neighbour finds out it was you .

Your best to ignore it completely , and get on with your life , and stop worrying about others lives .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Make an anonymous tip to the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

What makes you so sure it's just cigarettes that are being sold? Nobody is going to come knocking at your door inquiring where is the drug dealer! You don't know the full extent of what's going on there. You don't know what type of people this activity is attracting into your area, or how it will develop if allowed to continue. Better nipped in the bud - i.e. report to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

know someone who reported their neighbour for something similar and their life wasn't worth living yer man flipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

IMO, too many of us lack the courage to do what needs to be done. It's a criminal activity that's going on, and if not checked, who knows what it can develop into. Of course, you would need to go the anonymous route - and even then, you could have some fallout from your actions. But, if you don't take action, you may have a much greater problem in years to come, if you are still living there. Greed is an appetite that increases with time. If they have built up a customer base, who knows where they are going to take it from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 onemoredead

better off, " mind your own business"

just let them, get on with it , as will get caught in the end!!

in small towns like (bagnalstown,thomastown,tramore etc) "eveybody will find out soon enough"

but, i'd be pi55'd if people calling to my door!!

@ end of day "its your call" DO WHAT YOU THING IS BEST FOR YOU. :)

hope allworks out, weather or which : :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,710 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's revenue, people. You pay taxes because this guy doesn't. Grass him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Corkbah wrote: »
    why not ??

No. People like Enda Kenny are the reason we get hit with more and more taxes.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    No. People like Enda Kenny are the reason we get hit with more and more taxes.

you really think Enda Kenny makes a decision about taxes in this country ??

Civil Servants, the troika, Angela Merkel ...maybe ... but don't try to give Enda Kenny the credit for increasing taxation !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Smoking is the most stupid thing you can do, second only to smoking cheap counterfeit cigarettes make by and from who knows what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sundy wrote: »
    Smoking is the most stupid thing you can do, second only to smoking cheap counterfeit cigarettes make by and from who knows what.

Well said non smoker person!

OP, you've two ways to look at it.

If it looks like proper criminal activity, ie lots of dodgy characters calling around, the guy himself is dodgy and you feel he's up to more then Report him to the revenue and Gards.

If however he seems fairly ligit and you don't feel threatened by his 'business' then do nothing.

For all you know he might just be selling duty free smokes or Spanish smokes to make a few extra bob to put food in front of his children.

Everyone in this country at some point has done something under the books to make money. His may be questionable but first you need to look at the surrounding evedence before making your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This post has been deleted.
    It's been a long time since I saw one of them, do they still exist or have you just come out of hibernation?

Well said non smoker person!

OP, you've two ways to look at it.

If it looks like proper criminal activity, ie lots of dodgy characters calling around, the guy himself is dodgy and you feel he's up to more then Report him to the revenue and Gards.

If however he seems fairly ligit and you don't feel threatened by his 'business' then do nothing.

For all you know he might just be selling duty free smokes or Spanish smokes to make a few extra bob to put food in front of his children.

Everyone in this country at some point has done something under the books to make money. His may be questionable but first you need to look at the surrounding evedence before making your decision

any stats of proof to back up your claim ?? in my 40+ years I haven't done anything under the table. (to be honest many people have started off in business doing dodgy things and made their money but the thing is its a different time, Ollie Byrne of shelbourne fc fame is one that comes to mind - it doesn't mean what the person is doing is ok, its still illegal and if caught then tough sh1t - in this case the OP is seeking advice on what to do as the people calling to his door is annoying and he wants rid of the problem.....most people are saying report him and let the authorities deal with him - chances are if he is a decent person he'll get the fright he needs to put him back on the straight and narrow, if he's not a decent person then ..he will continue and the gardai/revenue will be able to build a case against him and eventually prosecute him.

as for your statement that he might be selling to put food in front of his children ...again ...look at that a different way - do you say its ok to rob a shop because you are hungry ? is it ok to commit fraud because you have to keep up the lifestyle of your rich friends ? - no-one gets hurt and its only money !! .... and you have no proof of this neighbours lifestyle - do you ?

The only thing we can say is that the selling of cigarettes without a permit is illegal (and this neighbour is accused of selling cigarettes illegally),

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

Rats everywhere.
    How do you know this fella selling the ciggies isnt in some sort of dire financial situation and has been reduced and left with no alternative but sell a few boxs of ciggies to help make ends meet.

All he'd really need is a jack ass rat like the OP to hang him out to dry to really mess him up, while the OP on the other hand can go to bed that night feeling proud that hes done his citizenly duties and ratted him out to the authorities. The same authorities that keep petrol, diesel, drink and tobacco at prices that are at near exorbitent price levels.

OP, have you never broken the law yourself, even in a little way like going over the speed limit etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

vixdname wrote: »
    Rats everywhere.
    How do you know this fella selling the ciggies isnt in some sort of dire financial situation and has been reduced and left with no alternative but sell a few boxs of ciggies to help make ends meet.

All he'd really need is a jack ass rat like the OP to hang him out to dry to really mess him up, while the OP on the other hand can go to bed that night feeling proud that hes done his citizenly duties and ratted him out to the authorities. The same authorities that keep petrol, diesel, drink and tobacco at prices that are at near exorbitent price levels.

OP, have you never broken the law yourself, even in a little way like going over the speed limit etc

Get over yourself! Just so I know, what level of criminal activity should we let people off with depending on how much they have in their wallet. Fencing the odd stolen property/laptop? Selling a little weed? 99.9% of the time this small time activity is drip fed by a larger organisation. Yeah the fags might have been picked up in a spanish airport, but wtf is your man doing in Spain if he's in such financial difficulties that ''he has no choice''. I call BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

He will soon move on to selling more than biffs.

Maybe fireworks for Halloween and selection boxes for Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Make a sign for your front door saying ' illegal ciggie seller lives next door >'. Your neighbour might not like it, but you'll have no more people calling to you at all hours of the night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its nothing to do with the gardai.

Its customs who will stop it. I have sent you a pm. They will get a visit....

rasper wrote: »

btw dont smoke any more

It is not lucrative. Costs far more to treat smoking related diseases than the taxes bring in. I'd be happy enough to have no tax on cigs if smokers waived to pay for any medical treatment related to smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

smee again wrote: »
    It's cigarettes, not meth

Kills more people than meth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

mylesm wrote: »
    Kills more people than meth

The point is, Meth causes far more problems to society as addicts resort to crime to feed their habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

What about the positive things tobacco contribute too. Less fat people, less stressed people. Enjoying a cigarette at home in the evening after work. Cigarettes aren't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Extort a few boxes out of him, under the threat of exposing his antiques :cool:
    Shake him down every month;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The amount of people I know who smoke dodgy cigs is unbelievable, I used to as well when I smoked, hardly ever bought a pack of smokes from the shop, I have no shame in admitting this, they weren't counterfeit cigs either they were just from a different Country.

Of course people are going to do this when it costs €10 for a pack in the shop and a fiver from the Polish lad down the road. By taxing them so high the government are pricing themselves out of the market. Yeah the revenue do catch some shipments but the fact of the matter is that if I can pick up the phone and have smokes in a few hours from a number of different sellers means that they aren't getting the vast majority.

People can whinge all they like about smoking, yes it is a dirty, rotten habit, yes it costs us a lot of money to take care of people when they get sick from smoking but the same can be said about drinking or any other substance, people are going to smoke whether you like it or not and we may as well make some money off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

ronan45 wrote: »
    Extort a few boxes out of him, under the threat of exposing his antiques :cool:
    Shake him down every month;)

He's selling antiques too....? :eek:

You could drop round and have a word with him, tell him you don't mind what he gets up to as its none of your business, tell him you think its great what he's doing etc etc but to just make sure the 'customers' don't come knocking at the wrong door. Leave it a couple of weeks, and then shop him....!
    That way he'll never suspect its you.

And while you're there could you pick me up 40 John Player Blue and 40 Major.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

smee again wrote: »
    The point is, Meth causes far more problems to society as addicts resort to crime to feed their habit.

Disagree Cigarettes in my opinion cause way more harm to society now if meth was as widespread as cigarettes then maybe but at the present rates of consumption cigarettes by a mile cause more harm and inflict way more cost through increased cancer rates more healthcare etc and crime associated with cigarette smuggling

But to prevent meth becoming as popular it should be treated as a life threatening issue as cigarettes should have been way back

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

mylesm wrote: »
    Disagree Cigarettes in my opinion cause way more harm to society now if meth was as widespread as cigarettes then maybe but at the present rates of consumption cigarettes by a mile cause more harm and inflict way more cost through increased cancer rates more healthcare etc and crime associated with cigarette smuggling

But to prevent meth becoming as popular it should be treated as a life threatening issue as cigarettes should have been way back
    The "added healthcare costs" argument around smoking is really a non-runner. Smokers in general are far less of a burden on the exchequer because they die younger (fewer pension payments) and have shorter illnesses (less burden on HSE) than non-smokers.

If your main concern is the exchequer, the best policy to put in place would be to put a cigarette in a baby's mouth in place of a soother. That way, they will live just long enough to have a productive working life, paying taxes at a high rate (spending a large proportion of their after-tax income on tax-heavy cigarettes) and they'll die following a short illness before they become a burden on the state as pensioners.

Also, smokers, unlike meth addicts, are fully capable of behaving normally within society. Some are even self-conscious enough to smoke only in private and away from others who might not like it. Meth addicts don't really have the same social graces.

I further do not think that the "crime" you're associating with cigarette smuggling is anywhere near as bad as the theft, robberies, burglaries, instances of violence and mania that are associated with meth addicts. Cigarette smugglers are generally just defrauding the exchequer. I believe both to be serious, but I think the crime associated with meth and other similar addictions to be far more detrimental to society than diverting money away from Revenue. I might feel differently about that if exchequer funds were being applied in a way that is more beneficial to society but that is not the case for now.

AND...

Finally, "way back" when cigarettes first came about is some time in the Mayan and Aztec times. I don't think people were generally as aware of the serious and life-threatening nature of cigarettes then. Certainly not when compared with what we know about meth now. There's even a TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The "added healthcare costs" argument around smoking is really a non-runner. Smokers in general are far less of a burden on the exchequer because they die younger (fewer pension payments) and have shorter illnesses (less burden on HSE) than non-smokers.

That's pretty amazing.

Smokers have shorter illnesses than nonsmokers? Seriously? You think the ways you can die from tobacco are quick???

Really?

??

• Advertisement
Advertisement