Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Licensing postcard

• 31-05-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭

I received a standard tv licensing enquiry card. It was filled out by hand & posted through my letterbox.

The form has a checkbox marked
    "TV set/aerial/satellite dish observed "
    This implies that the presence of an aerial or dish is sufficient evidence to prosecute.

I thought that you had to have a tv receiver. If so then isn't the form misrepresenting the law in order to intimidate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Discodog wrote: »
    I received a standard tv licensing enquiry card. It was filled out by hand & posted through my letterbox.

The form has a checkbox marked
    "TV set/aerial/satellite dish observed "
    This implies that the presence of an aerial or dish is sufficient evidence to prosecute.

I thought that you had to have a tv receiver. If so then isn't the form misrepresenting the law in order to intimidate?

The important word is in bold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

An aerial, cable connection or dish was all that was required to need a licence, but I believe the 2009 Broadcasting Act has changed that, albeit its down to interpretation. An aerial or cable is not "electronic" but a satellite dish actually is - specifically the LNB element is and is classed as an electronic device for WEEE rules.

“ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The important word is in bold.

The average person, like my neighbour, would assume that they have to have a license for an aerial or dish. They were about to buy a license even though they don't have a tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MYOB wrote: »
    An aerial, cable connection or dish was all that was required to need a licence, but I believe the 2009 Broadcasting Act has changed that, albeit its down to interpretation. An aerial or cable is not "electronic" but a satellite dish actually is - specifically the LNB element is and is classed as an electronic device for WEEE rules.
    Yea my interpretation is its an rte tax, and they want everyone to pay regardless of use of the service. There for they describe the liable apparatus as everything even remotely linked to a TV. If it becomes the broadcast charge, that will, further encompass even those who specifically don't have any television set, and we will have more people who will advocate why having a laptop should make a person liable.
    “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;"
    Well I don't think an LNB was ever able to exhibit broadcasts, so its hard to believe pre 2009 that a sat dish alone required a licence and they then amended it to reduce the amount of liable properties.

Anything is possible though.

Further evidence of the threatening tone is that the inspector has written "revisit in 5 days" . You are supposed to return the card in the post. Given the holiday it will be 3 days before the card is even on it's way.

The card refers to the 2009 Act but still mentions an aerial or dish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Further evidence of the threatening tone is that the inspector has written "revisit in 5 days" . You are supposed to return the card in the post. Given the holiday it will be 3 days before the card is even on it's way.

The card refers to the 2009 Act but still mentions an aerial or dish.

All they can do regarding aerials is say it indicates evidence of a TV in the property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Generally they are full of bluster. They will call back but it could be any length of time. Do they have your name or is it addressed to the occupier?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Generally they are full of bluster. They will call back but it could be any length of time. Do they have your name or is it addressed to the occupier?

Addressed to me. I have been told by a very good source that postmen had to check a list of names & fill in the missing ones.

Lots of locals got personally addressed letters at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Really? I thought they weren't allowed to do that. Yeah if it is addressed to you then you may pay it if you have a TV in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Unless they gain entry and see a TV there is nowt they can do.

Aerials and dishes prove nothing as they have non TV uses.

I have read that they can apply for a search warrant but I never heard of them doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I have read that they can apply for a search warrant but I never heard of them doing this.

I doubt they would be granted a warrant to search your house for a TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Really? I thought they weren't allowed to do that. Yeah if it is addressed to you then you may pay it if you have a TV in the house

Lots of things are allowed in the collection of duties / taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not nowt.
    They can require to declare whether or not you have a TV set. If you don't properly submit the declaration it's assumed you have an unlicenced TV unless you can prove otherwise. Telling porkies could get you a €1000 fine.

Sect 147 SI 18/2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I am currently living in a rented house as my own house is been renovated. We have a licence for our own house and are moving back in about 6 weeks but we received the standard letter through the letterbox last week, warning that there is no record of a tv licence at our rented house. Surely I won't have to buy another licence for the few weeks. How long do you get before they start proceedings? We did not meet anyone, just that they called and observed a satellite dish. Any ideas as to my next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I am currently living in a rented house as my own house is been renovated. We have a licence for our own house and are moving back in about 6 weeks but we received the standard letter through the letterbox last week, warning that there is no record of a tv licence at our rented house. Surely I won't have to buy another licence for the few weeks. How long do you get before they start proceedings? We did not meet anyone, just that they called and observed a satellite dish. Any ideas as to my next step.

Just let them know the other house is uninhabitable, but that you have a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Victor wrote: »
    Just let them know the other house is uninhabitable, but that you have a licence.

They don't care what other house has a TV licence. If there's a TV in the house then it needs a licence. They can't proceed to prosecution until they've talked to you, so don't answer the door to strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Moving to a new home
    If you are moving house, it is possible and highly advisable to have your television licence transferred to your new address. Simply bring your existing licence to your nearest Post Office, together with evidence of your new address (that is a household utility bill or a bank statement). Staff in your Post Office will then amend the details on your record and your licence will be updated and re-issued to you. This service is free.
    Link
    I'd talk to the licence inspector and ask him is it necessary for 6 weeks considering you'd have to get it changed back. I can't see a judge being impressed with a case where someone actually has a tv licence and will be back in their own home when the case comes to court.

Advertisement