Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

amiable wrote: »
    Jersey sales that Pienaar generated in a January transfer? Think about that one again.
    So we've established Spurs didn't make money on Pienaar including subsidising his wages while on loan at Everton and giving him his payoff on his transfer back to Everton?
    Yes, we've established that, without knowing what sales he generated, we paid approx £40,000 a week for a player of his calibre. Is that bad business? Do you know what sort of impact he had on the team?

From the outside looking in, we were paying mid-level wages to an experienced, talented footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

By the way, it's you are not your

btw its you're and not you are....see what i just did?

never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

THFC wrote: »
    Yes, we've established that, without knowing what sales he generated, we paid approx £40,000 a week for a player of his calibre. Is that bad business? Do you know what sort of impact he had on the team?

From the outside looking in, we were paying mid-level wages to an experienced, talented footballer.

Spurs paid more than £40 k per week for Pienaar.
    He was on the higher scale of Spurs wages as he was almost on a bosman.
    But you said Spurs made a profit on him. Surely we've established they didn't for a player that hardly played. Yes that is bad business IMO.
    Not much of an impact did he have IMO from the bench or when he was at Everton having his wages subsidised.

The tabloids decided to link him. It doesn't make it so.
    Type any players name in to google and often you'll see Liverpool suggested.
    It doesn't make it so.

Lets reason it out though to suit you. Arsenal have finally an established centre back pairing that seems to be excellent in Vermaelen and Koscielny backed up by a German international with over 80 caps. Do you still think Spurs beat Arsenal to Vertonghen?
    Christ, the man himself said it, what more do you want? He also plays LB, a position Arsenal are weak in.
    A quote from Fergie on Real Madrid, ''I wouldn't sell them a virus''
    This was before the transfer of Ronaldo to Real Madrid.
    Just because someone says it doesn't make it true.
    Relevance?? None.

btw its you're and not you are....see what i just did?

never mind

It's actually either or but I didn't need to be checked on it and your point on Joe Cole is still not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

It's actually either or but I didn't need to be checked on it and your point on Joe Cole is still not relevant.

You still haven't come back to me on Modric ability to buy out his contract?

Christ, the man himself said it, what more do you want? He also plays LB, a position Arsenal are weak in.

Relevance?? None.

Of course it's relevant to prove football people say what they want to the media and it doesn't make it true.

You still havent come back to me on Modric ability to buy out his contract?

I didn't say he could buy out his contract. He doesn't need to to.
    But the irony you asking me to come back to you on points made.

Spurs paid more than £40 k per week for Pienaar.
    He was on the higher scale of Spurs wages as he was almost on a bosman.
    But you said Spurs made a profit on him. Surely we've established they didn't for a player that hardly played. Yes that is bad business IMO.
    Not much of an impact did he have IMO from the bench or when he was at Everton having his wages subsidised.
    Honestly, are you even reading my posts?? Did I not take that bit back??

According to speculation, something which you so easily dismissed earlier on, Pienaar was due to earn £16,000,000 over 4 1/2 years = £68,000 a week. £68,000 by 52 (about the amount of weeks he was with us) = ~£3.5mill, minus the £1.5 mill profit, equals £2m. £2m divided by 52 = £38,500 a week. Factor in sales, impact on the team, dressing room, etc, my opinion is that that was a good bit of business, considering we sold him for a higher fee than we paid for him to the same club, without him playing as well as he was before he joined us.

Of course it's relevant to prove football people say what they want to the media and it doesn't make it true.
    Yes because all "football people" are to be treated the same.

• Advertisement

Anyways, I've work in the morning at 8, I'm gone.

Yes because all "football people" are to be treated the same.

So we believe only the ones you want to believe?
    My point is sometimes football people say stuff that sounds good.
    Honestly are you even reading my posts? :D

According to speculation, something which you so easily dismissed earlier on, Pienaar was due to earn £16,000,000 over 4 1/2 years = £68,000 a week. £68,000 by 52 (about the amount of weeks he was with us) = ~£3.5mill, minus the £1.5 mill profit, equals £2m. £2m divided by 52 = £38,500 a week. Factor in sales, impact on the team, dressing room, etc, my opinion is that that was a good bit of business, considering we sold him for a higher fee than we paid for him to the same club, without him playing as well as he was before he joined us.

Whatever way you spin it Spurs paid money for a player they didn't really use. You also failed to factor in the money he earned from Spurs while on loan at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is his loyalty bonus factored into that? Or did he put in a transfer request?

Yann M'Vila linked to Spurs now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Yann M'Vila linked to Spurs now

Read a story earlier saying he'll be Modric's replacement?? Not even close to the same type of player, would do well in the PL though.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Read a story earlier saying he'll be Modric's replacement?? Not even close to the same type of player, would do well in the PL though.

Was that the Duncan Castles piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Was that the Duncan Castles piece?

It was indeed, he actually tweeted later on saying M'Vila was an alternative to Moutinho?

Caveman1 wrote: »
    It was indeed, he actually tweeted later on saying M'Vila was an alternative to Moutinho?

I read that too. His info on transfers is very reliable IMO.
    His opinion on the ability of players is not as good.
    Yann M'Vila would be a terrific signing at the price mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Just reading through the squabble last night...
    In that case why praise Levy so much?

My point being wait til some of the details of the transfer are revealed before praising him like what happened a few weeks ago.

BTW I think you meant Lucas Moura

Rafael Moura's move from Fluminense to Internacional was what he was referring to.
    Modric cant buy out his 4 year contract that he has left!

I'm going to take a punt an assume Amiable was referring to the FIFA rule which states a player must take part in 10% of his clubs matches otherwise he can jump ship.

Its one of the reasons Man City didn't leave Tevez sit in the stands and its one of the reasons Spurs won't do it with Modric either.

Modric doesn't have the option of buying out his contract until next summer.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Just reading through the squabble last night...

Rafael Moura's move from Fluminense to Internacional was what he was referring to.

I realised this earlier this morning.

Apologies to THFC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

City agree fee for Rodwell, no idea why City would want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews Manchester City agree fee with Everton for Jack Rodwell #SSN

very strange signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a bloody strange transfer!

Rodwell fee confirmed by Everton

• Advertisement

By the way, where were the 'ITK's on the Rodwell to city story?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Did Sinclair sign with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I guess they just needed another defensive midfielder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It just goes to show you!

Van Persie is also going to play for Arsenal this evening [45 Minutes] which was confirmed by Louis van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

PHB wrote: »
    I guess they just needed another defensive midfielder ?

They need homegrown players aswell .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

De Jong is probably on his way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

They need homegrown players aswell .

Exactly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The Mirror 11/8/12 22:32

The phrase 'if you throw enough shít...' comes to mind though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

xtal191 wrote: »
    City agree fee for Rodwell, no idea why City would want him.

They need a replacement for Owen Hargreaves on the treatment table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The Mirror 11/8/12 22:32

The phrase 'if you throw enough shít...' comes to mind though!

They also reported at the same time that WHU are going to bid £6mil for Joe Cole.... Oh how I hope they got the two scoops right .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Isn't it widely believed that Rodwell will end up at centre half? Turned attention to him after failing with Agger? The transition of Kompany comes to mind.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Think this one might have been borne out of frustration at not being able to get players in.

Dont think hes been consistent enough or is even good enough to be at Citys Level.

I do know United had been looking at him too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

opr wrote: »
    Isn't it widely believed that Rodwell will end up at centre half? Turned attention to him after failing with Agger? The transition of Kompany comes to mind.

Opr

I think it's a myth a Rodwell will end up at centre half or can even play there. I think I remember an Everton fan posting that he's only ever played in midfield for Everton and the centre half comments were bizarre.

I think Rodwell is going to be a replacement for de Jong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Blatter wrote: »
    I think it's a myth a Rodwell will end up at centre half or can even play there. I think I remember an Everton fan posting that he's only ever played in midfield for Everton and the centre half comments were bizarre.

I think Rodwell is going to be a replacement for de Jong.

I'm pretty sure as a youth he regularly played as a CB? He was moved up to DM at some stage in his career I thought. Could be completely wrong.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Decent business by Everton. You'd imagine Moyes will put it to good use if allowed but it back into the transfer market

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Decent business by Everton. You'd imagine Moyes will put it to good use if allowed but it back into the transfer market

Barkley looks good enough to replace Rodwell too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How much was the fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Seaneh wrote: »
    How much was the fee?

£20m apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

£15 million I think!

opr wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure as a youth he regularly played as a CB? He was moved up to DM at some stage in his career I thought. Could be completely wrong.

Opr

I've no idea where he played at youth level tbh, I just remember an Everton fan being bemused at the idea that he had played CB at times for the first team.

I doubt City would be in for a top class CB in Agger and then buy a player who is totally unproven in that position as an alternative.

I still think City will be in for a top class CB, whether that'll be Agger or not is another question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think signing Sinclair and Rodwell is definately to appease the homegrown players rule. Don't think they would be in for them otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭batistuta9

why do they want de jong out?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    why do they want de jong out?

Afaik he only has one year left on his current City deal and is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants first team football.

City won't want to lose him for nothing next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Blatter wrote: »
    Afaik he only has one year left on his current City deal and is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants first team football.

City won't want to lose him for nothing next season.

right

could be another signing for wenger if song goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

batistuta9 wrote: »
    right

could be another signing for wenger if song goes

Can't see Wenger going for De Jong.

Advertisement