Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP

• 14-05-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Just wondering can anybody help me.
    Have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and looking to do a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition.
    Have lost the install disc though.
    I still have the cd key and the product id no though.
    Would anybody be able to burn me a copy of windows xp home edtn install cd and post to me.
    I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you got a copy of a Dell XP Home edition, you'll be okay. They serial you have won't work in any other version of XP, and may not work with other versions of the Home edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

The Dell XP Home Edition CD is the one that I've lost. Is there anything else I can do.

The Dell XP Home Edition CD is the one that I've lost. Is there anything else I can do.
    ANY Dell XP Home Edition CD will do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

the_syco wrote: »
    ANY Dell XP Home Edition CD will do.

It will also have to match the service pack ops version is aswell afaik

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    It will also have to match the service pack ops version is aswell afaik

Nick
    Aye. As you have a valid license for a Dell copy of Windows XP, if you got the Cd off a friend, a neighbour, your local pirate, whatever, you could install it. Oh, and the Dell Home version doesn't usually ask for the serial.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the help guys.
    Ive asked loads of people but all of them seem to have windows vista.
    Is there anyone on boards willing to help me out and burn a copy or would have a spare copy they would be willing to post to me.
    Would cover cost of postage etc if needs be.
    All help is appreciated and thanks again.

thanks for all the help guys.
    Ive asked loads of people but all of them seem to have windows vista.
    Is there anyone on boards willing to help me out and burn a copy or would have a spare copy they would be willing to post to me.
    Would cover cost of postage etc if needs be.
    All help is appreciated and thanks again.

What service pack of XP home does it take? I have XP Home SP1a disc somewhere at home so could possibly run you off a copy of that over the weekend, once your one is SP1a of course as afaik thats the edition it is!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

are you sure the service pack matters?
    they are free upgrades.

any dell disc will work on any dell - no serial or activation required. I only have a xp pro disc though.

are you sure the service pack matters?
    they are free upgrades.

any dell disc will work on any dell - no serial or activation required. I only have a xp pro disc though.

Fairly sure serials are SP bound yeah, if someone says otherwise, i do have a disc of xp home in my parents I could possibly copy for op, If i can find it of course, once their willing to meet me in dublin, I live in the city center they can have it

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

dells don't need serials though. they detect the dell hardware and install a preactivated copy of windows.

i reinstalled a classroom of pcs with dell sp2 when they originally had xp original. no issues

• Advertisement

Nick (yoyo) would you be willing to post me on a copy if I covered the cost of postage.

Thanks, Kev.

Nick (yoyo) would you be willing to post me on a copy if I covered the cost of postage.

Thanks, Kev.

Its possible, should be out there at the weekend sometime so will try to root out the cd!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

OP, have you tried Dell tech support? This seems to show they still provide them and maybe even for free if you can convince them.

Well lads. thanks for all your help.
    I did actually try dell tech support and they wanted to charge me 68.97 Euro.
    I just could not get them to send me one for free.
    So if someone could copy one for me I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I can supply you with a copy of an OEM Dell XP Home CD. No charge. I'm in Dublin 7.

Hi Papa Quebec. Would you be willing to post it to me.
    I would cover postage cost if you wish.
    Thanks.

Where are you based?

I am in waterford city

OK - PM me your address and I'll get it in the post!

Thanks a million Papa Quebec.
    PM sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement