Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divorce costs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Ok guys, here I go I'm jumping in. Looks straight forward enough. A couple of things I've come across which I'm hoping some people might be able to provide assistance with.

Regarding:
    Affidavit of Means
    "In each case where financial relief is sought an Affidavit of Means must be filed."

Do you have to submit this if no money is being sought? Maintenance for children has been as directed by the Welfare/ Maintenance Dept. No assets involved or anything else.

Thanks guys.

AFAIK once finances/children are involved then you should have this - however from my own experience, from speaking to others and from this thread it's my understanding that the judge will probably make an order based on a preexisting arrangement.
    dodohert wrote:
    Wish me luck.

Good luck dodohert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Guys, after a long time making sure all my documents were correct I went and got my solicitor to sign all documents, then went to file...didn't have my marriage cert...d'oh!!!

Quick question, which neither the lady in the court offices or solicitor were sure of. I asked the solicitor about the cert to say that he had explained the options open to me before proceeding with the divorce. He said he wasn't sure if I would need it as he wasn't representing me. When filing the papers I asked the lady in the office did I need it and she didn't think I did because I was doing my own divorce.

Any body know what the story is with the cert from the solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Evek

In my experience, yes you do need it. As far as I know, when you're divorced the marriage is held on file somewhere in the bowels of the court!! :eek:
    If I'm wrong then I stand to be corrected. :D
    Hope this answers your question and all goes well.

Whoops sorry all. My post is a little unclear. I wasn't referring to the need for the marriage cert.

I was referring to the certificate the solicitor gives to say he has explained all the avenues open to you before considering divorce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Whoops sorry all. My post is a little unclear. I wasn't referring to the need for the marriage cert.

I was referring to the certificate the solicitor gives to say he has explained all the avenues open to you before considering divorce.

You don't have a solicitor representing you, so there should be no need for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaun

Hi
    I've started proceedings on my judicial separation.
    I posted the Civil Bill and letter of consent by registered post this morning to my ex husband. Stomach churning stuff. I'm using DIY divorce, and he's been fantastic.
    My question is, should I tell my ex that it's coming in the post? I've been advised not to and let the court take over from here.
    I just feel so nasty doing it this way. He's still my best friend and I don't want to hurt him.
    I'm going on the advise I've been given.

He will get the letter tomorrow. Should I warn him?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

If your relationship is amicable as you indicate then I would be up front and tell the otherside. my two cents...

Thanks dodohert

It's a tough one

Depends where you're coming from morally or lawfully. Maybe you've been advised not to and that might be fair enough, but morally I would say to tell him.

Have ye discussed the divorce prior? Made mention of it all? Or will it come like a bolt from the blue to him.

If it's been discussed prior I would definitely just say to him that you filed the papers.

Good luck anyway. Hope it works out for you.

No, he will be shocked. We were in agreement all along until we decided to go ahead with legal separation. He wants to go down solicitor route and keep it clean, but I can't afford a solicitor.
    He was against DIY and going to court. After 2 years apart I had to get closure and saw this as the only way to get things moving.
    Morally I'm torn as didn't want to do anything underhanded.:(

• Advertisement

I'm in same situation cant afford solicitor trying my best to keep it simple... eitherway he'll find out whether you tell him or not which do you think would be the better option.. upfront or underhanded (not that ur being underhanded) but he may see it this way.

I guess tell him you want to move on and your attempting to make this as stressless & painless and cost effective way as you possibly can, but alas I'm having difficultly with this approach also, as i tell my ex the outcome will be the same no matter how it is arrived at...

Vaun wrote: »
    After 2 years apart I had to get closure and saw this as the only way to get things moving.

Little confused here Vaun. 2 years apart? You have to be apart 4 of the last 5 years for a divorce.

I would say tell him, if for no other reason that your own peace of mind. If you tell him, you won't feel you did anything underhanded. His reaction will be his own issue to deal with.

At least you'll know you did what you considered the right thing.

Sorry to hear you're in the situation. Can't be easy :confused:

Little confused here Vaun. 2 years apart? You have to be apart 4 of the last 5 years for a divorce.

I would say tell him, if for no other reason that your own peace of mind. If you tell him, you won't feel you did anything underhanded. His reaction will be his own issue to deal with.

At least you'll know you did what you considered the right thing.

Sorry to hear you're in the situation. Can't be easy :confused:

Yes good point. you do need to be "Apart" 4 out of the previous 5 years according to Family Law Act on 'Divorce'

Sorry, yes. It's easier to say divorce rather than judicial separation.

Thanks for your advice guys. I'm going to forewarn him of the pending letter. I think it's the fairer thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ihatethis

If the relationship is amicable I'd let him know, stating you just can't afford a solicitor. After just 5 months of seperation my ex served proceedings on me without notice. I was nearly physically sick, things have just got worse since and every thing has to go through solicitors, so you're doing the right thing. I tried DIY divorce man and found him good, but could n't handle the constant harrasing letters from my ex''s solicitor so had to engage a solicitor.
    The key thing I'd bear in mind is treating your ex with respect & courtesy does not cost anything and I find it gives me peace of mind.
    Also have you considered legal mediation- that is supposed to be a lot cheaper than the traditional adversarial route of court proceedings. You can still do it even if court proceedings under way. there's a good article in to-day's Irish times on it. Can recommend some one (no connection) if you pm
    Best of luck.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

There is no substitute for formal legal advice.

Tom Young wrote: »
    There is no substitute for formal legal advice.
    I beg to differ.

I did my own Judicial Separation and Divorce without legal advice and got both without any complications.

:D

nodolan wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

I did my own Judicial Separation and Divorce without legal advice and got both without any complications.

:D

Well done. You're entitled to differ. In complex splits, there is no substitute for legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ihatethis

Well done. You're entitled to differ. In complex splits, there is no substitute for legal advice.
    I agree but only if you add "good" legal advice to the above qoute.
    My own experience is there is a lot of bad legal advice out there, with solicitors not knowing the basics. See http://www.rate-your-solicitor.com for loads of examples.

So spend a fortune on bad legal advice or follow nodolans advice for free? Which is the bigger risk?
    I learnt more here than I did from my own original solicitor.

Good luck with the Phd Nodolan,

• Advertisement

Sure. The issue we have here is that the charter does not allow for legal advice. In saying that, I do take your point in relation to duff advice. It's unfortunate and a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Abouttime

I'm going through a diy divorce company and they are going to charge me €100 to do a pension adjustment order. Has anyone done this themselves and how do I go about it. Really don't want to pay €100 for some document to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Philynott

Hi

does anyone have experience of the way judges deal with pao s in the divorce courts. Myself and the ex have a medated agreement as regards maiuntnacnce , access pension etc but i know she has hired a solicitor to do the donkey work ( she wanted to the the applicant so im okay with that) in a no contest divorce. Will the judge accept the mediated agreement in its entirety ( including what we have agreed on pension rights)?

One other minor thing.. i bought a house 2 years ago in my own name ( paying mortgage and its not a family home ...she has council rented house in Galway for last 3/4 years) does she have a claim to this as an asset of the marriage .. legally i mean. When i signed the papres by the solicitor dealing with the mortgage she got me to sign an affidavit that my ex wife had never stayed in the house.) Just a bit concerned about this from a legal perspective as i cant afford 2500 euro for a solicitor just to read papers in a no contest divorce!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rockyc

Hi,

I am just starting to fill out the Civil bill for my partner he has been seperated since 1992 so hopefully it should be straightforward. We have a house together does he need to mention this on any form i wasn't going to fill out the Affidavit of Means as their son is 25 now. We were also wondering if he really needs to get a solicitor to sign the declaration to say that he discussed all his options,seing as they've been split up for so long.

Any idea how long this takes as we would like to get married in February for our 10th anniversary.

Rockyc wrote: »
    We were also wondering if he really needs to get a solicitor to sign the declaration to say that he discussed all his options,seing as they've been split up for so long.

If it's a DIY the solicitor does not need to sign to say he has discussed the options because he is not representing your partner. I was cautious about this and asked at the court office and they said no, it was not needed.
    Any idea how long this takes as we would like to get married in February for our 10th anniversary.
    Depends on the area you are in. Some places depending on the court schedule you could be waiting longer than Feb. My advice would be to get on it...NOW! Some places could be 2 or 3 months. Don't wait, don't leave it to chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rockyc

Thanks for the advice Vinny-Chase. I'll get started straight away.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 JayTi

Does anyone have any advice on my situation.
    Legal seperation oct 2006
    We married abroad and I doubt if I have a cert or any document.
    Apart for 6 years - havnt seen her for 5 years and dont know whereabouts.
    No Kids
    I bought out the house through the legal seperation
    I now have a partner and a 2.5 year old daughter
    Realistically we cant afford a solicitor but does this sound straight forward enough to do DIY - any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Hey guys,
    I have my first court date tomorrow. Could any body let me know what I can expect? Little bit nervous.

Cheers.

Hey guys,
    I have my first court date tomorrow. Could any body let me know what I can expect? Little bit nervous.

Cheers.
    Hey Vinny,

Is this your date to get a date for the divorce or your divorce date?
    I'm guessing it's your appearance to get a date for the divorce - if so:

There'll be all kinds of hubbub and people to-ing and fro-ing and whatnot and the registrar will do all the work.

When a name is called out you'll hear solicitors saying stuff like:
    Your honour, I represent the applicant and wish to have the matter transferred to the judges books - or something like that. I did this a few years ago but you'll hear the same 'spell' being cast over and over so by the time you get called you should know what to say. You say it, you're given a date and time for your divorce. If you didn't hear what the date was you can drop in to the registrar's office later to find out.

If it's your divorce day then that's very different. Everyone gets called in together to confirm you're all present and then you all go back outside and wait until you're called back in one case at a time (for privacy). When in the court the judge will take complete control and if there's no complications it will be all over within ten minutes or so (the judge asks you a few questions to make sure you're happy with the divorce etc.).

Good luck Vinny!! :D

Let us know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jacksonicon

THE SOCIETY IS FACING PROBLEMS WITH SUCH LAWS. THIS HAS TO GO LEGAL AND IT’S NEEDED TO BE SORTED AT THE EARLIER.

Solicitors From Hell

Well guys, thanks to everyone, more so nodolan, I am now divorced! Completely did it all myself. I would say all in all it cost me less than €15 as I a know solicitor who did not charge to witness the documents. For any one else I could not see it would cost more than €50 altogether.

Unlike others I only had one date. Perhaps this depends on the court? This was in Naas.
    I have to admit it is a bit daunting. The procedure for me was this:

Everyone piles into the court and the clerk reads out NOT names, but INITIALS! This took a while to cop on to. There was mics in the court but they were not used as a broadcast, probably more recording so it was very hard to actually hear what was being said. Which was even more daunting. The solicitors representing people stood up, did their spiel when called upon but as I said very difficult to hear what was being said.

The initials for my case were called. Just said I was present, the divorce was uncontested. Was asked was the respondent present I answered she was not. That was it.

After that everyone piles out of the court and stands around waiting. The clerk (?) comes out then and calls numbers. Now this was a nightmare because the guy never strayed more than 6 feet from the door and only called the numbers in a conversational tone. This is in a wide open area with well over 100 people was very difficult to make out. He would literally say a number a few times "16? 16? No? 17?" and move on like that. So do not stray too far until you find out what number you are and at what rate they are progressing. Each case appears to take about 10 mins.

A lady beside me had a print out which had the case numbers. Not the reference number you get on your documents when sent back from the courts. But this listed the 50+ cases being heard that day. I didn't know anything about this list or where she got it. If I hadn't known this lady had the list I wouldn't have known this. So if you don't have this list or access to it, ask the clerk calling out the numbers what number you are.

My ex did in fact turn up which I was not expecting but was not a problem. We went in and we both sat in front of the judge. She asked was I the applicant and said I was, she then asked me to take the witness stand! Which I was not expecting. I must admit that not knowing to expect that was a little more daunting. Took the stand swore on the Bible and judge asked me a few questions. She asked me when we separated (I am USELESS with dates) instinctively I turned to ask my ex and the judge jumped on me! Told me " you do not address her! This is your oral testimony you address me etc" YIKES! I got very nervous and tried to rack my brain. I had a copy of all my documents but left them on my seat I was fumbling trying to ask could I get them when I remember the month and year. Told her and she seemed happy enough with that. She asked a few more questions, asked my ex a few, told me to step down, mumbled through a few formalities and that was that.

My advice would be to make sure you have a copy of all your documents with you and can check back on them for facts should you need them.

I rang the court office the day before and asked would I need to bring anything and was told no. That if my documents were not in order that it would not have been put before the judge. But I brought them just in case, even though I didn't need them. Now this is where it gets interesting as the person in before me DID NOT get her divorce. There was something up with her paperwork. Not sure but it was something like, something was a copy and not the original. So ring when all your paperwork is submitted to make sure everything is in order. You don't want to go in there and find out you have to wait 3 more months. Appears Naas does divorce cases quarterly.

Any one thinking about paying STUPID money to solicitors for a divorce that is uncontested with no complications, property etc should be well capable of doing it. I was never legally separated but none of this was a problem.

I would again like to thank nodolan for supplying all the paperwork. I found a template affidavit of means on the net and adjusted that for myself.

If any body has any questions I'll help in what ever way I can but I'm by no means an expert but can let you know through my own experience.

• Advertisement

W00T!!

Well done Vinny-Chase. You made me LOL with your description of the day. It would seem that different courts/judges have slightly different ways of doing things but now that you mention it I remember the initials thing. My judge (male) didn't bat an eyelid when I turned to my (soon to be ex) wife and asked her for various dates, which she had. And, yes, the whole numbering and almost whispering thing I remember now, it was a friendly female solicitor who told me what my number was - thanks for the great info there!

I'm surprised about the mistake in the documentation you referred to, the initial 'legal' documentation has to be correct to get a date in court so maybe there was more documentation needed (financial records or something) and that was what caused the issue for that person?!?

Anyhow, well done and all the best with your new-found freedom!!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

I'm going to start my DIY Divorce now.

SirIrish wrote: »
    I'm going to start my DIY Divorce now.
    Good luck SirIrish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2complicated

hello everyone, i have complicated situation here, i am married over 4 years now but we r still sharing same house. i am trying to go for divorce,went to solicitor he asked for 3 grands but i was not happy with his advise. My concern is would it be just waste of time and money if i apply for divorce as solicitor says that you can apply for divorce even if u r living with ur spouse in same house. we have nothing to fight over ,no property , no children... plz advise me. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

My concern is would it be just waste of time and money if i apply for divorce as solicitor says that you can apply for divorce even if u r living with ur spouse in same house.

I don't understand what you mean by that sentence perhaps you could elaborate.

He is correct you can divorce if you are living in the same house, Section 5(1) (a) Family Law (Divorce) Act, 1996 states "at the date of the institution of the proceedings, the spouses have lived apart from one another for a period of, or periods amounting to, at least four years during the previous five years".

You can still be living in the same home but be considered to have lived apart provided that you are living separate lives. There is a case stated on this if I can locate it i will post a link

Found it McA v McA

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dustfree

i just got a quote of €500 from one of the DIY services but after reading through this link I think I'll do it myself. If I've read it right I can download everything I need from the Court Services site, fill it in, attach any financial stuff requested and take it to the Clerk of the Courts for checking and stamping. My husband and I have been separated for roughly 16 years, legal separation about 7 years ago, with a 23year old daughter. Neither of us will contest, probably better friends now than when married! Any help gratefully received.......

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

You send the other half a copy by registered post and keep the registered post receipt for the registrar and fill out the Deed of Service thing and give that along with the third copy of the Civil Bill to the Registrar (you can keep a copy of it for your own records) along with the registered post receipt

OK just checking.

I got papers back from registrar. I got one copy of civil bill and affidavit of means . Both stamped dated and signed with a record number . I send these by registered mail and fill out a Service of motion and get it signed and stamped by Commissioner for Oaths then give registrar the registered mail receipt and Service of Motion and then wait. Is that right?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinetree

Can anyone tell me on the question of children when filling out the walfare affidavit are all children to be included on the living school etc on the questions even if they are over 18

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Hi all,

I'm also doing a DIY divorce and have most of the documents ready, My spouse will not be contesting and I'd like to make things easy on them, does anyone have a draft letter of consent that I could send to them to sign rather than have them draft their own one?

Thanks!

I don't have a draft letter but I don't think anything more than a simple letter quoting the case number etc and their details saying that they don't contest it, is all that is required.

• Advertisement

eboarde wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm also doing a DIY divorce and have most of the documents ready, My spouse will not be contesting and I'd like to make things easy on them, does anyone have a draft letter of consent that I could send to them to sign rather than have them draft their own one?

Thanks!
    I don't mean to be rude but unless your spouse is in a coma there's absolutely no reason why they can't scribble a note of consent:

Nihil Obstat

signed:____________

end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dm46

nodolan wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but unless your spouse is in a coma there's absolutely no reason why they can't scribble a note of consent:

Nihil Obstat

signed:____________

end of.

Hi Nodolan, I have been reading all of the quotes advise and interesting facts on diy divorce and i had a question. My partner has been separated for the last 21 years (not leagally). We met after his separation and he had 3 minor children at the time which he fully supported (amecially). He has not seen his ex for the past 15 years nor has he seen his children for the past 10 years. We do not know where any of them live prestently nor do we know if his ex's family are still alive. He does not know how to go about a divorce or will he have to go to a solictor for him/her to do a search.
    Someone told me that she maybe living abroad, and I have often wondered if she has already been granted a divorce. Really dont know where to start because as the years go on we feel that it would be right for our own situation to have these matters cleared up for our future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

Hi all,

I just wanted to add my bit in relation to this.

I decided to go through a solicitor for my divorce even though it was straight forward with a legal separation and no kids etc. Everything was amicable.

I first went to see my solicitor at the end of 2009 and my divorce is just now through.

When I first met my solicitor I was told that it would cost approximately €2,500. I had budgeted for this.

Today I received a bill for €5,000. Suffice it to say I nearly vomited!

My solicitors fees are indeed €2,500, but there is also barrister's fees!. Now I know that there was a senior counsel engaged but I presumed that this was included in the original information I received from my solicitor. I presumed when she gave me an estimate of costs that it would be a total figure.

I did not get a written quote from my solicitor at the start so I guess I really cannot argue this, I just wanted to advise any one out there to make sure you get everything agreed up front and ask for a breakdown of all costs.

I feel stupid (and sick) for not having done this. If anyone can learn from my mistake at least it might not be totally in vain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should of had a section 68 letter at the start giving an estimate.

You should of had a section 68 letter at the start giving an estimate.
    Thanks,
    I have no idea what this is but I definitely didn't get one. I have all the correspondence in a file and it's not here.

I'm not sure what this is or what that means!

dawnymac wrote: »
    Thanks,
    I have no idea what this is but I definitely didn't get one. I have all the correspondence in a file and it's not here.

I'm not sure what this is or what that means!

I just rang my solicitor's office about this as I know I didn't get this, there is no one there until tomorrow but will certainly check this out!
    Thanks a again Man in Havana!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gary.

Hi All,
    Just trying to sort out my own divorce any links for paperwork/tips etc.... would be a great help!!
    Gary

All the boards.ie links to the document templates still work. I'm afraid I don't check my messages that often so people looking for advice and documents via private messages need to spend the time reading this thread (I would recommend spending the time reading this thread regardless because so many people have contributed some great advice as well as sharing their experiences).

dm46 wrote: »
    Hi Nodolan, I have been reading all of the quotes advise and interesting facts on diy divorce and i had a question. My partner has been separated for the last 21 years (not leagally). We met after his separation and he had 3 minor children at the time which he fully supported (amecially). He has not seen his ex for the past 15 years nor has he seen his children for the past 10 years. We do not know where any of them live prestently nor do we know if his ex's family are still alive. He does not know how to go about a divorce or will he have to go to a solictor for him/her to do a search.
    Someone told me that she maybe living abroad, and I have often wondered if she has already been granted a divorce. Really dont know where to start because as the years go on we feel that it would be right for our own situation to have these matters cleared up for our future.

Like I said I don't really check in to this thread that much :o

Gosh, I really have no idea on this one dm46. I'm not trying to be smart when I say this but have you tried Google? Does she have family back here in Ireland? Very few people can drop off the face of the earth like that so personally speaking I would start with Google and Facebook then move on to visiting last known locations (home and work places). Asking a solicitor to find someone? Private detective type of stuff IMO - expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Folks,

Just got divorced, the process was very simple it cost me €50- to get affidavits signed and about €11- posting two registered letters. It takes a few hours sorting out the documents but the staff in Pheonix house are very helpful and so was this thread.

You need an affidavit of means even if you already have a seperation if you are looking for an order under section 18(10).

The process in court was very simple the judge just asked a few questions to confirm the facts and granted the divorce. We already had a Judicial Separation so that made things easier.

Remember to bring you marriage cert with you!

Below is the wording of the letter of consent that I used and the Judge accepted.

Hope its useful,

eboarde
    [Home address]

The Registrar,
    Circuit Family Court,
    Phoenix House,
    Phoenix Street North,
    Dublin 7

Dear Sir,

I refer to the Civil Bill dated [DAY Month Year] which I have received and I confirm acceptance of service of same.

It is not my intention to attend the court and I consent to the divorce being granted on the basis of our Judicial Separation Consent Order, a Decree of Divorce pursuant to the provisions of Section 5(1) of the Family Law (Divorce) act, 1996 and an Order and Cross Order pursuant to the provisions of Section 18(10) of the Family Law (Divorce) Act, 1996, that neither the Applicant or the Respondent herein shall, on the death of the other, be entitled for provision out of the estate of the other pursuant to the said Section.

Signed:

[Whoever]

Dated the day of 20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement