Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a strange one

• 17-09-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

i dont know if this is the right forum but anyway; travelling on sunday night in my car passed by a spped van (one of the private ones), it was a smalll country road so i wasnt sure what spped i was meant to be doing went back found a sign; it said 100km, so i was fine only doing about 60, then i passed the speed van again, i deliberately went slow about (50kms per hour) a man was at the back of the van packing things and took a photo of me with a hand held camera, wonder what this was about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Them guys have had people come back and try cause them harm. Maybe your slow drive by the second time frightened him/her and he took the photo in case anything happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

ken wrote: »
    Them guys have had people come back and try cause them harm. Maybe your slow drive by the second time frightened him/her and he took the photo in case anything happened.
    thanks for the reply, i did not give out verbal abuse or threatening looks or actions, i think the speed camera guy was a bit over cautious

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that you done anything wrong. Others have thought.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1126/294851-dundalk/

An investigation has been launched into an arson attack on a speed camera survey van in Dundalk, Co Louth.

The attack took place at 4.45am on the Dundalk to Carrickmacross Road.

The van with an operator inside was parked at the side of the road when he smelled smoke. He got out of the van before it was engulfed in flames.

It is believed a front window was smashed and curtain and seating were set on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Thanked replying post as this thread is in legal discussion and not after hours . The personnel are legally entitled to do that to you op notwithstanding how nice you're tryng to be etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

i dont know if this is the right forum but anyway; travelling on sunday night in my car passed by a spped van (one of the private ones), it was a smalll country road so i wasnt sure what spped i was meant to be doing went back found a sign; it said 100km, so i was fine only doing about 60, then i passed the speed van again, i deliberately went slow about (50kms per hour) a man was at the back of the van packing things and took a photo of me with a hand held camera, wonder what this was about?

If they can take a picture of you going fast, why not take one of you going slow?

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that you done anything wrong. Others have thought.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1126/294851-dundalk/

An investigation has been launched into an arson attack on a speed camera survey van in Dundalk, Co Louth.

The attack took place at 4.45am on the Dundalk to Carrickmacross Road.

The van with an operator inside was parked at the side of the road when he smelled smoke. He got out of the van before it was engulfed in flames.

It is believed a front window was smashed and curtain and seating were set on fire.
    none taken, speed camera operators if they dont like the job they should go do something else

If they can take a picture of you going fast, why not take one of you going slow?
    correct me if im wrong but i dont think they have the legal authority to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

correct me if im wrong but i dont think they have the legal authority to do that?

No legal authority required to take a picture in a public place. They have no legal authority to fine you when going below the limit, but they can take as many pictures as they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

none taken, speed camera operators if they dont like the job they should go do something else

There's a big difference between simply not liking your job and someone trying to set you on fire. Pretty sure that isn't in their job description.

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Nice Botty

You may get done for slow driving. Hopefully you will as you were proceeding at a dangerously slow speed just you satisfy your rubber-necking nosiness

Moderator: User was warned for this post for trolling.

• Advertisement

Nice Botty wrote: »
    You may get done for slow driving. Hopefully you will as you were proceeding at a dangerously slow speed just you satisfy your rubber-necking nosiness
    hopefully you will mind your own business, anyways road conditions on the night were poor so it was the SAFE thing to do:D

hopefully you will mind your own business, anyways road conditions on the night were poor so it was the SAFE thing to do:D

Its fairly unlikely it was safe to drive so slowly. You sound like you're backtracking

Its fairly unlikely it was safe to drive so slowly. You sound like you're backtracking
    were you there? no backtracking at all, now on yer bike and stop trolling mods where are you

were you there? no backtracking at all, now on yer bike and stop trolling mods where are you

You said you deliberately slowed down. Also if conditions were bad its unlikely speed camera vans would be deployed. So stop lying

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Please do not engage in trolling.

Also, if there is an issue with a post, please report the post and the Moderators will deal with it. It is unwise and indeed against the forum rules to make allegations of trolling in-thread.

You said you deliberately slowed down. Also if conditions were bad its unlikely speed camera vans would be deployed. So stop lying
    right im going to hold the moral high ground here, stop accusing me of being a liar when you were not there; you dont know what your talking about end of.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

chickcharnley, please stop engaging with the other user.

right im going to hold the moral high ground here, stop accusing me of being a liar when you were not there; you dont know what your talking about end of.

Why did you slow down? To look or because of weather conditions ? Be honest now and reference your opening post....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why did you slow down? To look or because of weather conditions ? Be honest now and reference your opening post....

You can consider this your final warning. Do not post in this thread again.

thanks mods for the advice; I will not engage with someone (we all know who we talking about) who continuoulsly makes false accusations and who proceeds on this forum in a most childish manner

• Advertisement

Too get this back on topic.
    Pretty much anyone can take a picture of you in a public place. You have no expectation of privacy. (exceptions being someone taking pictures of kids).
    The speed camera guys have been attacked in the past and when you drove by slowly the second time, well if it was me I'd have taken your pic as well.
    Nothing happened so the operator will do nothing.

Advise: Don't do a slow drive by of a speed camera van. It probably scared the sh!t out of a guy just trying to earn a crust.

Too get this back on topic.
    Pretty much anyone can take a picture of you in a public place. You have no expectation of privacy. (exceptions being someone taking pictures of kids).
    The speed camera guys have been attacked in the past and when you drove by slowly the second time, well if it was me I'd have taken your pic as well.
    Nothing happened so the operator will do nothing.

Advise: Don't do a slow drive by of a speed camera van. It probably scared the sh!t out of a guy just trying to earn a crust.

no bad intentions from me, i didnt get a ticket (much to one persons disappointment) oh well winner takes all

Advertisement