Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Cassette light permanently on

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. The red light saying my toilet is full is permanently on, even when the cassette is out. I'm guessing the sensor is gone, but wondering could there be other reasons? Also, is this the sensor?.....

2extqfp.jpg

If its the sensor, I presume its easily replaced??
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

That looks the same as mine. I think that is the sensor that knows when the cassette in not there so the flush will not work.

I will have a look tomorrow but I believe there is a magnetic switch under the bowl which is activated by a magnetic float inside the tank.

Good news then. No need to put your hand inside the tank!!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks, thats probably it

kelbal wrote: »
    thanks, thats probably it

I just looked at mine. That is it. The "switch" under the bowl that i was thinking of is the magnet that holds the sliding cover on the cassette holding tank in place when the cassette is in place.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth I'd get a big magnet out of an old hard disk or something and run it up and down the old reed switch a few passes to see if it resets it. Worth a shot maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

AS Liam suggested . It's more likelty the magnet in the tank.... give it a good shake to make sure it's not stuck with.....ermm...stuff.

I never! :p
    If it was the float in the tank then the light would go out with the cassette removed?

I never! :p
    If it was the float in the tank then the light would go out with the cassette removed?

Yes the light should go off with the cassette removed as the magnet is no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

doh , I didn't see that it was on with the cassette out . oops/

• Advertisement

thanks guys - have been taken up with other issues (see my new post :) ), but will have a look at this soon. A good flash of the torch inside the bowl gives a good idea as to when it needs to be emptied :o

Hi guys,
    Getting back to this now. Is this where the reed switch is located....

2mhs8bc.jpg

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

At least on mine it is next to LHS of the cassette. There should be wires visible.
    A float inside rides up with the contents and a magnet on the float triggers the switch.

JonMac wrote: »
    At least on mine it is next to LHS of the cassette. There should be wires visible.
    A float inside rides up with the contents and a magnet on the float triggers the switch.

You can see where I have the red arrow in my picture, there's 2 grey wires going in there. The rectangular white piece with the 4 screws, that moves up and down - I'm guessing the float in the cassette pushes that up when full and then triggers the reed switch. I'll investigate a bit further there. Thanks

The reed switch is in the original picture that you posted. The second picture is a magnet that holds the sliding cover of the cassette when the cassette in in place.

*Kol* wrote: »
    The reed switch is in the original picture that you posted. The second picture is a magnet that holds the sliding cover of the cassette when the cassette in in place.

thanks, yes I came to that conclusion by looking at it a bit more

Does anyone have an idea where I'd get a wiring diagram for the electrics inside the toilet cassette compartment. Think I may have some loose connections, but I'd like to reference against something. I can only seem to find the basic assembly diagram for the full toilet - nothing specific to the electrics. Mine is a thetford C200 CS W.
    thanks

Hi guys - a little bit more guidance on this if you don't mind.

I ordered a new reed switch and have it all wired up. The wiring is sound, if I manually operate the reed switch by joining a wire across its terminals, the LED goes on.

However, with the toilet cassette in place and I fill it up, no LED.

So I've either got a faulty reed switch or the float in the tank all of a sudden isn't operating it.

How can I test the reed switch is doing what its supposed to? Wave a magnet across it, does that operate it?

If that works, I then need to open up the cassette to see if the float is free? How do you open it up?

thanks in advance

A magnet in front of it should operate it. If that brings the led on then it's the float.

If you need to get at the float its hand inside the tank time. I am sure I saw float replacement instructions on the Thetford website. I would have a look at that first then have a look inside the tank using an inspection mirror to make sure the float and magnet are there.

Btw the only access to the float is from the hole on top of the cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

*Kol* wrote: »
    A magnet in front of it should operate it. If that brings the led on then it's the float.

If you need to get at the float its hand inside the tank time. I am sure I saw float replacement instructions on the Thetford website. I would have a look at that first then have a look inside the tank using an inspection mirror to make sure the float and magnet are there.

Btw the only access to the float is from the hole on top of the cassette.

The polarity of the magnet matters to reed switches,try both ends of the magnet.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Have spent some time on it this morning and I have got it working - but I'm not sure how satisfied I am with the arrangement.

I moved a strongish fridge magnet across the reed switch, and the LED went on, but the magnet had to be very close to it.

I put my hand inside the cassette and the float moves freely. Then to test the magnet is still on the float I placed some paper clips on the outside of the cassette at the corresponding place, and they were attracted, so everything seems OK with cassette.

I had originally screwed the reed switch back in tightly - I loosened it and shoved it a few mm closer to the cassette - and it works now - raising the float triggers the LED. However the reed switch is hanging very loosely, will try to figure out a way to get it to sit more securely, closer to the cassette.

I wonder is my reed switch less magnetic, thus needing to be closer to the cassette.

Thanks again for advice

........actually, on 2nd inspection there does seem to be some sideways adjustment on the reed switch holder, so I've it all tightened up and working now. Seems quite finicky and sensitive though!!

thanks again guys

Advertisement