Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Perth

• 30-06-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on moving to perth on september 27th on a 1 year working holiday visa, I have a 2.1 honours degree in Finance and 4 years experience in a huge hedge fund accounting firm. Im 24.

I am just wondering would it be difficult to find work over there? and if €3000 would be sufficient to get me off the ground, I have mates over there already so a couch for a week or two wouldnt be out of the question.

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sydney would be a big centre for finance in Aus, most of big finance have sydney as a base, on a worldwide base it goes New York, London, Tokyo, Hong kong, Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Four years experience doing what in a hedge fund accounting firm?

As Jonjo points out, Sydney and to some extent Melbourne is the centre for banking, insurance and finance. It would be mostly branch office stuff in Perth. Even the business which do have big operations in Perth - miners and the like - would be doing their treasury management in Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

I have been working as a financial Operations Analyst for three years and now most recently for the past year I have been working as a Bank Trustee in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

If you'v got friends to put ya up and you keep your head down and get work 3k should be enough.

Working holiday visa's do find it difficult to find work in WA but this depends on the demand for your occupation

Having said that there is allways construction work if your willing to get your hands dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Plus a big advantage of Perth is that there's regional work within commutable distance that will help you get your second year WHV. Get that out of the way as soon as possible if you're aiming for a second year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I wouldn't with 3k as spending money. Why blow your WHV when you might have to return in a month or two because you didn't have the funds? Mates are mates but no one living in shared accom wants some dude kipping on the couch for an extended period.

Save up, get your finances in order and then consider the East coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

3k euro or AUD?

if you are fussy about what work you are going for, its the riskier option with those limited funds but if you come with a good attitude and will do what ever it takes to get your feet off the ground, you will be fine.

i had less than e1000 left on my creditcard when i stepped off the plane so i knew i was going home to debt and the dole if i didn't get my $hit together fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

3k euro.

No im not fussy I will work at anything, might start with the regional work to get it out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

3k euro should be fine Getting Regional out of the way is good but just be prepared it can be expensive.

Probably need a car so thats 2k might be travelling around south or north WA for a few weeks chasing work and some people these days dont even get paid for there regional.

Advertisement