Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rightyabe's Guide to a DIY Working Holiday Visa.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Oz is definitely a different place than when I landed 4 years ago - don't expect to walk into a job straight off the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

Hi all, I am in the process of organising a WHV with a mate for July. I will be meeting another friend and my sister out in Melbourne so thankfully I have some friends out there, what I'm wondering is: is it okay to travel to Oz, activate our WHV and then travel a bit in Thailand etc? maybe 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure if there is any small print prohibiting such travel.

I am a Software Engineer, so I will be looking for work in IT sector. I hear Melbourne would be one of the better sectors for IT work - is this true ?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

TBH, I'd do it the other way around, SE Asia to start or finish with.

you only have 12 months on WHV, (can be extended with regional work), but that will fly by. Considering you don't have any restrictions on Thailand, either stop their first, then on to Oz, or stop there on your way out of Oz after your visa(s) are all up...Just to get the most value out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

commited wrote: »
    Just apply for a tax number when you get there. Make sure you tick "resident for tax purposes" as this generally applies for people that earn money in Australia while living in Australia.
    I cant stress this enough,wait till to arrive to get your TFN but MAKE SURE YOU TICK "RESIDENT FOR TAX PURPOSES" or you will have great difficulty claiming back your tax.Also nobody really needs to go through an agency and waste money to to get their working holiday visa, its al pretty easy and straight forward.All the extra small bits that the agencies offer is either free for you to do or costs very little to do

Just wondering can anyone that knows all the ins and outs about OZ, be able to help me.I returned from OZ a couple of weeks ago but it was originally only on a holiday,but my circumstances have changed and I am now NOT returning to OZ.So I now have to sort out all my finances.Does anybody know can I claim my super annuation from Ireland,its with BT with Westpac and if so can I claim it all back or a certain percentage??.I have also paid a substantial amount of tax within the year will it be possible for me to claim tax back when it opens in june or would I have to be in the country to do so?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You can do your tax return and claim you Super online.

You'll have to pay tax on your superannuation when you close it

Go to the ATO website

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

I was just wondering as regards tax returns, I have been here since January and will be going home in December. Do I have to file my tax returns in June/ July or is there any way I can do it in December before I leave/get home and get whatever I'm owed in one go?

I don't claim twice do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,085 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

THe work is spread over two tax years, ergo two tax returns, at different times too

You can do your tax return and claim you Super online.

You'll have to pay tax on your superannuation when you close it

Go to the ATO website
    What percentage tax do I pay??

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

I was going to apply through USIT but your post has made me change my mind. It's €565 if you do it with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Do it yourself and save the money mate. Years since I did it but I doubt it has changed too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

It's €305 to get it on your own but it's saying something about a health examination when I'm applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Are you answering 'Yes' to any of the health questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

Hi

I am planning to go on sept 27th. I wont have huge funds at my disposal ( circa €2500-2750). I have an honours degree in Finance & 4 years exp in a huge fund accounting firm in Dublin.

I am going over to a few friends in perth. I am just wondering am i in the danger zone with the money im bringing ? even though i dont think I will be able to get more.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Money is a bit on the low side definitely.
    You could do your western Australia white card online and pick up some construction work quick enough i would imagine then start applying for relevant jobs in finance. By being on the WHV you automatically rule yourself out of a lot of jobs as the only hire PR or Citizens.

I work in IT/Finance and I had about 40 applications submitted before I got a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Back a few months after two years on the WHV , experienced the highs and lows in terms on finances, saw great areas, good parts of the culture and bad. If any questions, feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I have no qualifications and not great work experience. I am however good on a computer and willing to do any sort of work.

Should I even bother attempting to get a WHV or just go on a months holiday instead?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I have no qualifications and not great work experience. I am however good on a computer and willing to do any sort of work.

Should I even bother attempting to get a WHV or just go on a months holiday instead?
    If you only plan on being here for a month get a holiday visa. If you want to be here longer, and work a bit while you're here then get a WHV.
    Completely different purposes really.

Mellor wrote: »

If you only plan on being here for a month get a holiday visa. If you want to be here longer, and work a bit while you're here then get a WHV.
    Completely different purposes really.

Yeah I learned a lot tonight googling all night.

So I'll have to get a WHV, do 88 days in the middle of nowhere fruit picking. Then go on my merry way trying to find work in the city.

Do you think I could find a job without qualifications? If people think it's likely to be a waste of time then I would probably scrap the idea all together.

Note: I am going over in march from 1 month to see family and explore a bit. Maybe I'll get connections in that month.

So I'll have to get a WHV, do 88 days in the middle of nowhere fruit picking. Then go on my merry way trying to find work in the city.

Do you think I could find a job without qualifications?

You don't need to do 88 days fruit picking. That's only if you plan on getting a second WHV.

THere plenty of jobs for those without qualifications tbh. You'll get admin work easily enough if you have decent computer skills.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Do you think I could find a job without qualifications?

You don't need to do 88 days fruit picking. That's only if you plan on getting a second WHV.

THere plenty of jobs for those without qualifications tbh. You'll get admin work easily enough if you have decent computer skills.

I have good self taught computer skills. But no experience working in that field. I can use word, photoshop etc...the basics but more than the average person IMO.

You have given me hope. After my months holiday there I will get the ball rolling.

I'm only seeing sydney, gold coast and brisbane areas (possibly some more) but definetely not as far north as cairns and no more south than sydney so I would have a HUGE chunk of Australia left to explore if I do go over for the WHV.

Thus thread has been amazing help.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Do you think I could find a job without qualifications? If people think it's likely to be a waste of time then I would probably scrap the idea all together.

Note: I am going over in march from 1 month to see family and explore a bit. Maybe I'll get connections in that month.

Plenty of people in Australia get jobs without qualifications. What sort of work experience do you have? Your chances of getting work will come down to your previous work experience and how you can sell yourself to an employer.

There really is no way to tell if you can get work in Australia before you actually come here. My advice would be to just come out here in March like you plan to and get a feel for the place. Get your cv done up before you get and if you need to pay someone to make it look good then do it.
    Don't put any lies on your cv or anything you can't back up but phrase things in a way that will make you sound good to an employer.
    As I said don't lie on your cv but also don't put your visa status on it either and use an Australian address. If an employer gets in touch with you then you can explain your situation. At least that way you might be able to get a feel for the opportunities that might be available to you on a whv.
    Without qualifications don't expect to get rich in Australia. You will most likely only get low paying jobs and make enough to get by but in my opinion the experience is worth it.

Best of luck with it.

aido79 wrote: »

Plenty of people in Australia get jobs without qualifications. What sort of work experience do you have? Your chances of getting work will come down to your previous work experience and how you can sell yourself to an employer.

There really is no way to tell if you can get work in Australia before you actually come here. My advice would be to just come out here in March like you plan to and get a feel for the place. Get your cv done up before you get and if you need to pay someone to make it look good then do it.
    Don't put any lies on your cv or anything you can't back up but phrase things in a way that will make you sound good to an employer.
    As I said don't lie on your cv but also don't put your visa status on it either and use an Australian address. If an employer gets in touch with you then you can explain your situation. At least that way you might be able to get a feel for the opportunities that might be available to you on a whv.
    Without qualifications don't expect to get rich in Australia. You will most likely only get low paying jobs and make enough to get by but in my opinion the experience is worth it.

Best of luck with it.

My work experience isn't great. I had odd jobs with my uncles garden maintenance, short work with deliveroo and I'm in the process of getting general operative work in a factory.

I did my leaving cert as an adult so I didn't work during that time and I did some short courses in computers. I know myself that I could adapt to admin work and have the basics in the skills needed but I cannot exactly back it up.

To be honest, a low paying job is all I personally expect. If it gets me ok accommodation and spare money to go and enjoy myself (without having to devour my savings) then I'm perfectly happy. I don't even care if I'm not saving money...I wnat to do it for a life experience.

I would take any job to be honest. Even regional work sounds like it could be a bit of craic and another life experience.

I have good self taught computer skills. But no experience working in that field. I can use word, photoshop etc...the basics but more than the average person IMO.

That's all admin jobs are tbh. They can pay quite well considering the lack of qualifications necessary.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

My work experience isn't great. I had odd jobs with my uncles garden maintenance, short work with deliveroo and I'm in the process of getting general operative work in a factory.

I did my leaving cert as an adult so I didn't work during that time and I did some short courses in computers. I know myself that I could adapt to admin work and have the basics in the skills needed but I cannot exactly back it up.

To be honest, a low paying job is all I personally expect. If it gets me ok accommodation and spare money to go and enjoy myself (without having to devour my savings) then I'm perfectly happy. I don't even care if I'm not saving money...I wnat to do it for a life experience.

I would take any job to be honest. Even regional work sounds like it could be a bit of craic and another life experience.

At least you're going there with the right attitude. Too many people head off to Australia thinking they are going to make it big.
    I'm not saying to lie on your cv but since you worked for your uncle can you big up your garden maintenance /landscaping experience a little. Again don't put anything on a cv that you can't back up but a few white lies here and there can make a big difference to your chances of getting a job. Same goes for admim work. You could tell them you done some office work for your uncle when things were a bit quiet with the garden maintenance. They are unlikely to look into this in any great detail but even if they do then at least your uncle can give you a good reference.
    Hit up any labour hire/recruitment agencies you can find when you get to Australia. They are a good way for people with little experience to get jobs. There's no real point in getting in contact with them before you land in Australia as the first thing they will to do is to come in and meet them. A lot of the time they will want people to start on very short notice so if you aren't in the country they won't even entertain you.

Thanks for the replies guys.

You have made me confident about going now. But like I said I have a months holiday there already booked with my brother so I'll not be booking anything until I get home on 1st April. I could be on the look out for contacts and I'll get to have a chat with my uncle who is in the hotel industry and living in pottsville just south of brisbane.

But until then..Enjoy the sun you lucky feckers lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Lucashood2016

I'm just back from 3 weeks in Melbourne and I loved the place , so much so that I'm considering the permanent migration visa . I am concerned at 38 I'm pushing on a but to be doing this plus my profession of QC Analyst doesn't pay well compared to other professions over there , 60k is what I could earn which isn't great for aus . Still though I only have myself to look after and I have family over there . Would appreciate some advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Great thread, really useful reading to see how easy it is to just set everything up so that you can go from your life in Dublin to the shores of Oz with a bank account, tax number, working visa and positive attitude.

Two things, inter-related, which concern me are startup costs and obtaining a job. I'm happy enough that I could obtain a job but worried it could take a few weeks. My concern really is "how much money to bring over i.e. would €7/8,000 be more than enough to set myself up and be able to have a decent cash pile behind me so that I'm not desperate for a decent-paying job? Melbourne is where I'm thinking. Am I being really silly worrying so much about this that I am hesitant to go for it (single guy, no ties here, qualified lawyer) and should just stop thinking so much and do it?

Stop think so much and go for it. 7/8k is about $11k which is probably good for a few months depending on how well you budget.
    Don't be afraid to take an unskilled job just to gave money coming in. It could turn a "must find a job in two months" situation into, "can stay indefinitely until I find the right job"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Slideways

Just to back up what Mellor said, thats buckets of cash. If you're not doing the pub circuit every night and get a middle of the road hostel that will last you a long time.

I got into civil works when I came over and had a good time. tbh, I'd love to go back to it but I'm conditioned to the FIFO lifestyle and money at the moment :pac:

Advertisement