Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about picture size

Options
  • 01-11-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

I have a 28" Beko, it has served me well for the last 6 years and have no intention of going widescreen till my friends move in to their hosue and I give them the Beko.

While watching the football on ITV tonight (YIPEE!!!!), I noticed that the game on ITV 1 was shown letterboxed on my screen, but the game on ITV 4 was shown as 4:3 but with a black border the whole way around it so that it did not fill the screen. I have seen this before with athletics and some football on the bbc channels.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,
    MJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

It is probably down to and Spanish and Belgians who are actually producing the games.

The BBC sports programms you mentioned where they form outside the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

They may well have been, I can't remember,

Thanks,
    MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

mjsmyth wrote:
    I have a 28" Beko, it has served me well for the last 6 years and have no intention of going widescreen till my friends move in to their hosue and I give them the Beko.

While watching the football on ITV tonight (YIPEE!!!!), I noticed that the game on ITV 1 was shown letterboxed on my screen, but the game on ITV 4 was shown as 4:3 but with a black border the whole way around it so that it did not fill the screen. I have seen this before with athletics and some football on the bbc channels.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening?

BBC and ITV sport broadcast most programmes in permanent widescreen. Because the Chelsea match was being fimed by a Spanish broadcaster in 4:3, ITV had to add black bars to make it widescreen. They tend to do this because the studio is 16:9 and other footage from other matches may also be. They could do the whole thing 4:3, but seem to prefer it this way, otherwise you would lose whatever 16:9 material there is.

They could also zoom the picture like the do for 4:3 sources on BBC News and Sky News. This might cut off some of the picture, however, so you could lose important action.

They can't, however, switch aspect ratio during a show as this can only by done by the presentation suite. It would be very complicated to make lots of switches like this.

Thanks for that.

MJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Charles Bronson

If you goto the settings menu of your sky dodgy box, you can set the picture settings to 4:3. This will give you a full screen view in future. Unless you have a wide screen TV or prefer to watch the movie channels in a letterbox format there is no real need to have 16:9 selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

My hint for non-widescreen ITV1 viewers is use "Channel TV" ITV1 for the Channel Islands.

This does not broadcast in widescreen, so you get the network ITV1 programmes in 14:9, as you would on Analogue ITV1

Thanks, I will try that.
    mJ

Advertisement