Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Sky+ without phonline?

Options
  • 01-11-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

So i want to upgrade to Sky+ for christmas, and i dont have a phone line, didnt have one for the original install either.

So can i order Sky+ despite not having a phoneline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Its a grey area as far as i know.. and it depends if you know an installer that will unlock the box for you first..using thier phone line.

I know of some people in limerick who got this done through the installer ...but like i said its hit and miss

As Sky insist on a phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

you dont need it if you pay retail at 299 + install charge but with sky's offer of €69 I'm almost certain they will ask for a phoneline. I did speak with one cuatomer who upgraded who was told by sky they did not need phone connection as they were a long standing customer.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Tony wrote:
    you dont need it if you pay retail at 299 + install charge but with sky's offer of €69 I'm almost certain they will ask for a phoneline. I did speak with one cuatomer who upgraded who was told by sky they did not need phone connection as they were a long standing customer.

Tony I have noticed in recent weeks alot of sky reps are telling customer's these lies just so as to get a sale, but it is a very different story when the installer shows up on the doorstep as the installer's have their own rules to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Tony I have noticed in recent weeks alot of sky reps are telling customer's these lies just so as to get a sale, but it is a very different story when the installer shows up on the doorstep as the installer's have their own rules to go by.

Good point Paddy but customer was told this by sky themselves, I would suggest getting an independent is the best route.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

agree with the above, as I said on a similiar thread that's what I did, got the guys from the local tv/electrical goods retailers who do installs for Sky to put up the dish etc for me. They just activated the card in the shop using the shop phone number I think when I told them I didn't have a line.
    I got mine 3.5 years ago by the way and as far as I remember it cost my €115 which included installation, the movie package as well as rental for the first 2 months so decent enough deal. Don't think I would have ever forked out 299 + install charge, crazy price!

• Advertisement

Tony wrote:
    Good point Paddy but customer was told this by sky themselves, I would suggest getting an independent is the best route.

I was refering to the reps in Sky themselves! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

upgrading to Sky+ doesnt involve a new contract surely

the contract i signed originally back in the day had no stipulation for a phone line connection. so where would Sky stand on that?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    upgrading to Sky+ doesnt involve a new contract surely

the contract i signed originally back in the day had no stipulation for a phone line connection. so where would Sky stand on that?

When customer's are talking to Sky operator's in scotland when ordering sky+, the sky operator will verbally ask them do they agree to connecting their sky+ box to an active bt phone point for at least 12 months.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can I ask a related question.
    Does each Digibox need a phone line connected to it??Sky have told me that its ok as long as one box is connected to a phone.
    Thanks
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hellrazer wrote:
    Does each Digibox need a phone line connected to it??Sky have told me that its ok as long as one box is connected to a phone.
    I think the answer to that is yes if you order multi-room.
    That way Sky know that the main subscription and the 2nd cheaper subscription are being used at the same address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

I got Sky+ with multiroom in last week as a new customer (by the way it cost €149 for the Sky+ box). Installer ran 2 ugly phone lines - 1 into each room where Sky installed (and asked for €40 for the pleasure). I asked him can I pull them up as soon as he activates the box (as my missus is none to happy) - he said that if I did I would very soon get a letter from Sky followed by a disconnection. Is this true or is this just the line they must give? I'm not happy with telephone cables running up and down skirting boards into each room - is there an alternative?

Cheers,

Donal

Its true, no kidding. They wont turn you off though, they will only charge you the same amount you are paying for your main box on your multiroom card.
    Also what is new with them is that when a box fails to callback to Sky through the phoneline a service call will be set up. If the engineer calls out and sees that the cable has been unplugged by the customer they will charge you €108 for the call out. If you refuse, Sky will immediatly charge you full price for the mirrored card.:o Happy Days!

Advertisement