Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compression socks

Options
  • 14-05-2015 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Howaya,

Does anyone here use compression socks and what do you think of them?

I'm considering getting a pair but tbh, I know flip all about them.

I have a race at the weekend and the last leg is a 35km run over the Mourne Mountains. By the time I get to that stage, I'm fairly sure my legs will be fcuked.

Just wondering would these socks help prevent cramping etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Howaya,

Does anyone here use compression socks and what do you think of them?

I'm considering getting a pair but tbh, I know flip all about them.

I have a race at the weekend and the last leg is a 35km run over the Mourne Mountains. By the time I get to that stage, I'm fairly sure my legs will be fcuked.

Just wondering would these socks help prevent cramping etc?

I use compression socks,but for post run recovery only. Personally,cant run in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I use them for marathons and longer. They seem to help with cramping - I have read a few scientific studies that claim no effect but my personal experience differs.

At the very least, they don't do any harm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I wear a pair I got in Aldi for post long runs but have never worn them during a run. The sock part is too heavy for my feet. I have seen lots of runners wearing calf guards.
    Any recommendations as to a particular brand of these. They vary massively in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am looking to get a pair of compression socks for my long runs and was wondering if anyone has tried the 2XU-HYOPTIK COMPRESSION SOCKS.
    Wondering as there is a deal on the 2XU website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

boydkev wrote: »
    I am looking to get a pair of compression socks for my long runs and was wondering if anyone has tried the 2XU-HYOPTIK COMPRESSION SOCKS.
    Wondering as there is a deal on the 2XU website.

Run down to lidl, they have them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

+1 for the lidl socks with the added advantage that they stop your legs getting scratched to bits on hill runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The best use for compression socks is for off-road running, I was able 'peel' my socks off last night before getting into the car ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The best use for compression socks is for off-road running, I was able 'peel' my socks off last night before getting into the car ;)
    I'd say people in the car park at wicklow gap last week had a good laugh as I attempted to remove my socks using various techniques.

btw, IMRA roll into Carrick mountain next Wed, are you tempted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'd say people in the car park at wicklow gap last week had a good laugh as I attempted to remove my socks using various techniques.

btw, IMRA roll into Carrick mountain next Wed, are you tempted?

Might pop up for a look, what time is kick off?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Might pop up for a look, what time is kick off?

registration in the pub in Glenealy from 6:30. race at 7:30. Just note if you haven't registered for IMRA this year, do it at least 24 hours before the race as there's a cut off, and also you have to pay online for the race too in advance. More details on the imra site...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Carrick hasone of the best descents into a finish, very steep and goes on for ages, you're clinging on for life as you get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Got the Lidl ones few weeks ago 5 euro:) on advice of club mate as I was having calf issues in lead up to London Marathon. Felt they really helped but was afraid to trust the sock part for a full marathon when I have never had an issue with asics socks. Bought a pair of Compresssport calf sleeves to try ( 32 euro :eek:). Never used them and was considering returning them but wore them in marathon last Sunday for first time ( not recommended !) and they felt really supportive on calves. No cramping and no issue with calf that had been acting up. I'm now looking for a pair of Hip sleeves if anyone knows .

By the way the LIDl ones while very comfortable had a big hole in the heel after my last run before the marathon ;) I have since bought another pair but wouldn't be using them for a marathon due to the sock part.

Advertisement