Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get these in plastic?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Need to put some paneling like in the pic on two walls in our back yard. I don't like the look of that timber (it always seems to be too rough) and don't want to go to the bother of painting them! Are these panels available in a plastic or resin and if so, where could I source them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect that if you could geth them in plastic (and i've never seen them), they'd be stupidly expensive. those panels are typically €25 and upwards in wood, and i suspect plastic would look tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A quick look at Google brought these up..

http://www.colourfence.ie/ourproducts/Colourfence/index.php?gclid=CLempsvbuK0CFQoa4Qod4l4cmg

As stated above, seem to be expensive (Starts at €125 for 1.m up) but they don't look too bad in the pics in fairness.

Edit: They're actually high tensile steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks. The paneling is for a back wall and not to separate a garden from next door. The builders will be putting it up for us but we'll end up painting it I suppose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

You can get pre-cast (plain and decorative) concrete slats that fit between these upright posts. The trouble with these timber panels is that they need care such as regular painting; and can pop out in high winds. The slats don't - they look more similar to a wall and they are (very) heavy so no movement can be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

wait4me wrote: »
    You can get pre-cast (plain and decorative) concrete slats that fit between these upright posts. The trouble with these timber panels is that they need care such as regular painting; and can pop out in high winds. The slats don't - they look more similar to a wall and they are (very) heavy so no movement can be expected.

Thanks, but the builders will be providing this (at our expense!) and we've already sold our kidneys to pay for the house renovations! Need to keep costs down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

I don't know the cost of the slats - the timber panels are about 30 euro each (I think). 5 slats = 1 panel (I think).

<Its just that they would be easier put in by builders now than afterwards by yourselves. It takes three to lift the top ones into place.> This is what they look like - (not my garden!)

Advertisement