Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't know how to ask her out?

• 01-05-2008 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

So there's this girl that I really like and I think she likes me too but I just can't find a good way to ask her out. I don't have her phone number, she just turns up (a friend of a friend) every now and then and I can't work up the courage to straight out ask her on a date when I see her. I think she likes me because she is very friendly and a little touchy-feely with me (haven't seen her do the same with anyone else), we can chat with each other happily for ages.

So what to do? I am not the most confident of person and find it hard to say to her face that I like her. I guess I am looking for advice on how to ask a girl out *shame*

It would not be the end of the world for me if she said 'No' but I just can't find a way to ask her out, without coming straight out with it, which I think might scare her or maybe I am too chicken, I don't know.

Any advice on how to 'subtly' let a girl know that I like her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dont put pressure on yourself by turning it into a 'date' proposal. Just something like "I'd really like to continue this over coffee sometime" is enough asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Overheal wrote: »
    dont put pressure on yourself by turning it into a 'date' proposal. Just something like "I'd really like to continue this over coffee sometime" is enough asking.

+1

Don't try the "date" idea, just mention you wanna go see a movie or something, or invite her for a night out you have planned. if she responds well, make your move when you meet up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yep you can always try and go "oh hey Im going to Chad's party next week are you going?" and she'll be all like "OMG my BFF Jill is going to be there so yeah probably" and then you go "cool see you there".

Then get back to us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Overheal wrote: »
    yep you can always try and go "oh hey Im going to Chad's party next week are you going?" and she'll be all like "OMG my BFF Jill is going to be there so yeah probably" and then you go "cool see you there".

Oh that Chad! He's such a divil, with his parties and wild ways! :p

First off, any man/woman's biggest pothole in askign someone out is their fear of rejection, and we all have it/had it at some stage. Put this in perspective in your own head, remind yourself that, while she may be aweomse beyond imagining, when all's said and done you're just asking her on a date. You're not asking her to validate your whole existence. if she says no then try to laugh it off.

In fact, do what I do whenever I get rejected, turn it into a joke. I was at a party a few months back adn i got talkign to this woman, and i thought she was amazing, she seemed confident, intelligent, and she had this silky elegance to her that stoked my fires. So, carpe diem and all that, I said "look, do you want to have dinner sometime", granted dinner might be a bit much for a first date, but anyway, I then learn that she's homosexual :o Imagine my dissappointment, so I laughed it off by saying something along the liens of "awww man, just my luck, the only interesting woman at the party isn't attracted to men!". That kind of response tend to cause any tension/awkwwardness to evaporate, and it gives you time to think of a enw topic before the laughter ends.

Also everybody digs confidence. And I mean EVERYBODY, if you were relaxed enough to ask your best male friend on a date he would probably say yes. So get set in your head, and don't ask her until you've put this into perspective.

P.S. While I don't usually endorse head games, I feel compelled to point out that if she says "no" and you laugh it off, it will cause a radical jarring in her head, and she'll probably completely re-evaluate how she sees you. Anywho, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

she's a friend of a friend, so go to the friend. "hey I really like your friend <x>, could I get her number to ask her out?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Oh that Chad! He's such a divil, with his parties and wild ways! :p

First off, any man/woman's biggest pothole in askign someone out is their fear of rejection, and we all have it/had it at some stage. Put this in perspective in your own head, remind yourself that, while she may be aweomse beyond imagining, when all's said and done you're just asking her on a date. You're not asking her to validate your whole existence. if she says no then try to laugh it off.

In fact, do what I do whenever I get rejected, turn it into a joke. I was at a party a few months back adn i got talkign to this woman, and i thought she was amazing, she seemed confident, intelligent, and she had this silky elegance to her that stoked my fires. So, carpe diem and all that, I said "look, do you want to have dinner sometime", granted dinner might be a bit much for a first date, but anyway, I then learn that she's homosexual :o Imagine my dissappointment, so I laughed it off by saying something along the liens of "awww man, just my luck, the only interesting woman at the party isn't attracted to men!". That kind of response tend to cause any tension/awkwwardness to evaporate, and it gives you time to think of a enw topic before the laughter ends.

Also everybody digs confidence. And I mean EVERYBODY, if you were relaxed enough to ask your best male friend on a date he would probably say yes. So get set in your head, and don't ask her until you've put this into perspective.

P.S. While I don't usually endorse head games, I feel compelled to point out that if she says "no" and you laugh it off, it will cause a radical jarring in her head, and she'll probably completely re-evaluate how she sees you. Anywho, best of luck.

+1
    This is the best way to do it, don't go through her friend she'll think you don't have the guts to ask her yourself and that's a turn off , as said just start chatting with her and along it say "Hey , So you going to let me take you for a drink sometime?" or something like that if she says yes great if not laugh it off move topic - if you don't ask you'll never know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

follow the KISS Principle (keep it simple, stupid) - can you not just say 'would you like to go for a drink sometime' - this 'when are you going to let me.....' would put me off - it makes it look like she's playing games......if she says 'no' - just say 'no bother - no harm in asking eh'........and brush it off..........good luck and let us know how you get on

Some women like a bit of light hearted games...it's the thrill of the catch, being blunt can also be a turn off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Blunt is the only way to go...

Something along the lines of...

"Hey baby, nice kegs, fancy going for a sociable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get a plain business card, write voucher for 1 free coffee on oneside and put your number on the other side. Hand it to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Ahh Thaedydal! Thats so cute!;)

Smooth...But what if she doesn't drink coffee?better throw coffee/tea in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Get a plain business card, write voucher for 1 free coffee on oneside and put your number on the other side. Hand it to her.

Thats F**king gold! I'm using that if ya don't mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No problems with you using it but I totally refuse to be responsible for what happens after be it you get the clap or end up happily ever after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

that is totally lifted from Friends - hello, Joey and his 'Joey Love' vouchers!!!:D

Advertisement