Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

David Quinn has two adopted children that he adopted from outside the state. He has said if one has the means to pay for private assessment one should be able to circumvent the state vetting system. He said his preferences were to adopt a child under one year of age because of bonding issues.
    His constant bleating about the rights of children to know their natural parents and to be raised by a mother and father need to be examined robustly. How could a biological parent be forced to be in a child's life?

http://www.inarchive.com/page/2011-08-03/http:/www.sbpost.ie/archives/2005/0710/adoption-the-agony-and-the-ecstasy-6248.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I work in homeless services.

I used to work with families living in hostels/emergency homeless accommodation.

I have seen things I will never be able to forget, and have had to get counselling. Entire families crammed into bedsits with needles, mould, ect,
    generally horrible conditions. I've seen small children break down, unable to cope with the conditions they were living in, nowhere to play, all that.

These kids were not growing up in the best possible way.

Not a peep out of Quinn and the iona institute about it though.

Sickens me when they go on and on about child welfare in the marriage equality debate, they really couldn't care less about the hundreds of children currently living in emergency homeless accommodation.

Wouldn't it be great if some institute could do some research into how to best support these children so that some charity could do some worthwhile work for them? Sigh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, Terry Prone called Quinn a propagandist on TV3's Midday show. It's not on the TV3 Player. Maybe a glitch, or else a complaint was made.

https://twitter.com/HelenORahilly/status/575000296881020928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, Terry Prone called Quinn a propagandist on TV3's Midday show.

well, she'd know one if she saw one in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Someone went along to the Archbishop Martin talk held by Iona last night and recorded it:

https://soundcloud.com/karl-hayden/archbishop-martin

The questions & answers session is from 35' onwards. What's interesting is the grief that Martin gets - lots of silence and a fair bit of heckling when he's telling people to be nice. He's essentially accused of being a waverer, not explicitly calling for a No vote, etc. He's asked if he sent a letter to priests telling them to keep quite. Shows the gulf there is between the senior clergy and hardline groups like Iona.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

oceanclub wrote: »
    Someone went along to the Archbishop Martin talk held by Iona last night and recorded it:

The questions & answers session is from 35' onwards. What's interesting is the grief that Martin gets - lots of silence and a fair bit of heckling when he's telling people to be nice. He's essentially accused of being a waverer, not explicitly calling for a No vote, etc. He's asked if he sent a letter to priests telling them to keep quite. Shows the gulf there is between the senior clergy and hardline groups like Iona.

P.

No what it actually shows is the gulf between the reasonable, intelligent and decent people in the church like Diarmuid Martin, Peter McVerry , Iggy O'Donovan and the many others who don't get air-time but are deeply worried by the church's positions and the church as a body corporate. Remember, what Martin is advocating is far from what the church is telling him to advocate, they want gay marriages to be campaigned against in the most derogatory and insulting manner, a policy endorsed by Bergoglio, and he is going against what the church wants.

The likes of Lolek Ltd. are what the church truly wants to be seen as the morality in "catholic" countries, even today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

P.

36.46:
    "We need a very clear statement coming from our bishops that same sex marriage is going to change and discriminate against Catholics and Christians in this country, and that we will have no rights"
    *big round off applause and few "Here here"*

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

wprathead wrote: »
    36.46:
    "We need a very clear statement coming from our bishops that same sex marriage is going to change and discriminate against Catholics and Christians in this country, and that we will have no rights"

Does that mean the Catholics and Christians (are Catholics not Christians??? :eek:) who support SSM are 'self hating' or some such nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Another big dollop of nonsense from Breda O'Brien in the Times today. Poor old Dolce & Gabbana are being oppressed, persecuted for having a viewpoint, free speech etc. etc. :rolleyes: coming from one of the Lolek crowd who have RTE terrified of being sued by them (again) and the BAI wrapped around their little finger, it's comical.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

wprathead wrote: »
    36.46:

Can anyone explain how the state not discriminating against certain people discriminates against Christians?

It's like any attempts to not allow a Islamic Catholic State is discrimination.

[qouote="Hotblack Desiato;94770708"]Another big dollop of nonsense from Breda O'Brien in the Times today. Poor old Dolce & Gabbana are being oppressed, persecuted for having a viewpoint, free speech etc. etc. :rolleyes: coming from one of the Lolek crowd who have RTE terrified of being sued by them (again) and the BAI wrapped around their little finger, it's comical.[/quote]

She also had a painfully unfunny swipe at Martina Navratilova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Can anyone explain how the state not discriminating against certain people discriminates against Christians?

It's like any attempts to not allow a Islamic Catholic State is discrimination.

That attitude is pervasive enough, I remember hearing some bishop on the news talking about whether Catholic schools should be able to fire teachers for being gay when the government proposed to change this and his response was essentially that not allowing them to discriminate was a form of discrimination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That attitude is pervasive enough, I remember hearing some bishop on the news talking about whether Catholic schools should be able to fire teachers for being gay when the government proposed to change this and his response was essentially that not allowing them to discriminate was a form of discrimination!

They're the kind of people who break into your house and then sue you because they tripped over something in the dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

An article from Quinn - Under Kenny, Fine Gael is neither Christian nor is it democratic.

Breda has an article knocking Fianna Fail and bemoaning the lack of a party that appeals to social conservatives.

The two parties who have been the major coalition partners aren't conservative enough and have given in to the liberal agenda. The articles above are from March 13th and March 28th, but remember, only liberals engage in group think...

An article from Quinn - Under Kenny, Fine Gael is neither Christian nor is it democratic.

Breda has an article knocking Fianna Fail and bemoaning the lack of a party that appeals to social conservatives.

The two parties who have been the major coalition partners aren't conservative enough and have given in to the liberal agenda. The articles above are from March 13th and March 28th, but remember, only liberals engage in group think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow....did quinn say Enda was wrong to punish the vatican for facilitating child abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jesus f*cking Christ on a trike...I'd expect this sort of sh*t from one of the reactionaries on t'udder forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Why does the Iona Institute get tax exempt status? Its disgusting that an organisation that spreads hatred is treated as a charity.

https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-revoke-the-tax-exempt-charity-status-of-the-iona-institute

• Advertisement

O look - a member of the Iona institute conflating gay couples adopting with the marriage referendum. Take it away Breda -

"This is a referendum about re-defining marriage, and therefore parenting.
    Mary McAleese is a terrific role model as a woman who has always worked outside the home while maintaining a strong family life. As a mother, she is obviously vital to all her children.
    But if the referendum is passed, there will be children born in this country who will never experience a mother’s love. "
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-does-mary-mcaleese-understand-why-people-are-voting-no-1.2179917

Not that I'm saying it's part of a co-ordinated strategy, jaysus no.

Desperate (in both senses) stuff from them in the last few days.

Scrap the cap!

The press release was a joke. I can picture Dave shouting out to Ben Conroy, son of Breda, that he's putting his name to some rant for the marriage thing. The whole conservative circle is minute compared to their media presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Nodin wrote: »
    O look - a member of the Iona institute conflating gay couples adopting with the marriage referendum. Take it away Breda -

"This is a referendum about re-defining marriage, and therefore parenting.
    Mary McAleese is a terrific role model as a woman who has always worked outside the home while maintaining a strong family life. As a mother, she is obviously vital to all her children.
    But if the referendum is passed, there will be children born in this country who will never experience a mother’s love. "
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-does-mary-mcaleese-understand-why-people-are-voting-no-1.2179917

Not that I'm saying it's part of a co-ordinated strategy, jaysus no.

TBH if I had her for a mother I think I would seek some form of legal separation. I thought one of the so called Christian values is to love your fellow wo/man. These Iona sickos don't have any love as far as I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭a postere

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Does that mean the Catholics and Christians (are Catholics not Christians??? :eek:) who support SSM are 'self hating' or some such nonsense?

Probably, since Gay people not in favour of same sex marriage have been labeled self hating gays and homophobes by the yes side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Someone should explain to Breda slowly and with very simple words that growing up with two men doesn't mean you don't know your mother or that you don't have a relationship with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

a postere wrote: »
    Probably, since Gay people not in favour of same sex marriage have been labeled self hating gays and homophobes by the yes side.

Yer whaa?

By the way how much are Lolek paying you?

There's a big difference between being not in favour of something for oneself, and deciding that something consenting adults may wish to do is so awful that everyone in society must be denied it however much they want it.

The latter is supremely conceited and arrogant.

I wonder was Breda's missive written with knowledge of Mary McAleese's personal interest in the question? If Breda has any shame she should be feeling very ashamed of herself right now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

a postere wrote: »

monkey-with-cymbals-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Breda in the Indo....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gays-should-abstain-from-sex-like-all-unmarried-couples-31153701.html

Nothing very new there, same old nonsense. What is interesting is that the comments are about 90% hostile to her.

One of the few pro-Breda comments says "I'll be voting No to protect our children and the unborn". Slight confusion there about the referendum, methinks....

What i'm noticing is the YES side are quite vague and "sure it's grand" whilst the No side are picking apart the constitution, and all legal ramifications with a fine tooth comb, and to an undecided catholic irish voter it's the No side that come out better. They are basically winning votes by muddying the waters. The yes side need to start hammering home that children are being dealt with seperately.

• Advertisement

Even the No side on Facebook admit Breda's interview was a huge mistake. And her family on Twitter who would normally publicize this are absolutely quiet. Saying gay sex is unnatural and that God's love is withheld from gay people is not exactly the kind of message the No side wants to put across these days.

P.

Even the No side on Facebook admit Breda's interview was a huge mistake. And her family on Twitter who would normally publicize this are absolutely quiet. Saying gay sex is unnatural and that God's love is withheld from gay people is not exactly the kind of message the No side wants to put across these days.

P.

We need more Breda.
    Breda articles every day.
    On the Front Page.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

We need more Breda.
    On the Front Page.

Be careful what you wish for there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Wait...I didn't want to bump up the view counter on that interview with Iona's own Dolores Umbridge, so I didn't read it. Did she really say homosexual sex was unnatural?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"She says she knew she would never be a nun because "I love men too much"

The complete wetser

We need more Breda.
    On the Front Page.

But the eyes in the picture suck out my soul.........

ElChe32 wrote: »
    "She says she knew she would never be a nun because "I love men too much"

The complete wetser

What is a "wetser"? (I'm really asking..) I can kind of guess, but it's a term I haven't heard before. Maybe it's something all the kids are saying, but I haven't been a kid for a while.....

fisgon wrote: »
    What is a "wetser"? (I'm really asking..) I can kind of guess, but it's a term I haven't heard before. Maybe it's something all the kids are saying, but I haven't been a kid for a while.....

"an attractive female who instigates sexual arousal of the male usually through the wearing of provocative attire, or merely by having an amazing rack/arse"

"an attractive female who instigates sexual arousal of the male usually through the wearing of provocative attire, or merely by having an amazing rack/arse"

I did not know that.

Isn't learning fun.

I see you got that off Urban Dictionary, I only thought to look there now. I assume, from the examples given there, that it is an Irish term, probably Dublin, given the -er suffix the Dubs like to put on things.

Whatever, I think we can safely say that that is the first time that BOB has been called this, and maybe the last..... ;)

• Advertisement

I'd say she's a divil' in the sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

Wait...I didn't want to bump up the view counter on that interview with Iona's own Dolores Umbridge, so I didn't read it. Did she really say homosexual sex was unnatural?

I think she was more evasive than that, said something like 'it depends on what you mean by "natural"'

I wonder if she thinks life.long celibacy is natural.

"i suppose it depends on what you mean by natural"

cmon folks that is not an unreasonable view for a fundamentalist christian

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"i suppose it depends on what you mean by natural"

cmon folks that is not an unreasonable view for a fundamentalist christian

It's not a view; it's an evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I did not know that.

Isn't learning fun.
    Not this time :mad:
    I'd say she's a divil' in the sheets.
    Why?! For crying out loud, WHY?!

If she's sexually uptight on paper, what ON EARTH makes you think she'd let go at home?! The thought that she might just be *looking like a good girl* in her articles but a rampant sex fiend in real life makes me want to heave tbh. That would be genuinely worse than thinking she has these sincerely held religious beliefs about sexual intercourse. Ew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Shrap wrote: »
    Not this time :mad:

Why?! For crying out loud, WHY?!

If she's sexually uptight on paper, what ON EARTH makes you think she'd let go at home?! The thought that she might just be *looking like a good girl* in her articles but a rampant sex fiend in real life makes me want to heave tbh. That would be genuinely worse than thinking she has these sincerely held religious beliefs about sexual intercourse. Ew.

Yeah, I've been wondering too why it makes me feel nauseous, and I think it's because of the way it plays into the whole "oh they're all gagging for it really, no matter what they may say to you" thing.

Not saying the poster - or indeed Breda O'B - meant it that way, but that whole thing of the woman who makes a display of being terribly prudish but in fact can't get enough of it leaves me a little uneasy about what "no" is supposed to mean in that case.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

If you think I was being serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Didn't at all. Just that I got a bit sick in my mouth at the thought of it. Plus, it's that whole thing about a woman preferred to be (by folk of an unhealthy attitudinal persuasion towards women) "A cook in the kitchen, a lady in the parlour and a whore in the bedroom" that smacks of "shut the fcuk up woman and make me a sangwich".

I got that you were joking, but in combination with the lovely Breda's own gender stereotyping and narrow minded parenting roles, it conjured up a nasty taste in my mouth, namely the 1950's and how we're still there in some ways. No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭volchitsa

No, I think everyone got that it was a joke, and like I said, I didn't even think that you were displaying the attitudes Shrap and I were referring to. I just meant that your joke was bitingly close to the sort of nun-or-whore attitude that Breda O'Brien is (possibly unconsciously) still peddling.

It wasn't meant as a criticism of you. Honest. :)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement