Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG built-in satellite tuner deciding on channel order

Options
  • 21-04-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I've just bought a LG TV with built-in satellite tuner. I connected the satellite cable today and tuned in the channels. After I had disabled the ones I wasn't interested in, I re-ordered them to the way I wanted, with BBC1 on channel 1 and BBC2 on channel 2, with the rest following.

What happened after I finished my channel ordering was that when I went to channel 1, it would display BBC1 for a few seconds, then go blank, then show BBC2. BBC2 is now at channel 1 and BBC1 is at either channel 2 or channel 25 or somewhere else.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before? It's not a big issue because I have Sky, but I'm concerned that I might have bought a duff TV.

The other thing I noticed was that some programs looked different to the way they did on my old CRT. Some scenes in a drama looked really obviously like they had been filmed in a studio. I know that they were filmed in a studio, but something about the picture was jarring and made it really obvious that it WAS a studio. It's hard to explain in words, but that was the way it looked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whoami1 wrote: »
    It's hard to explain in words, but that was the way it looked.
    Yeah, you'll get used to it. For some it looks "more real than real" when they go from a 30" to a 46" HDTV, as the heads will often be the size of a head, and not a small head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

I've just bought a LG TV with built-in satellite tuner. I connected the satellite cable today and tuned in the channels. After I had disabled the ones I wasn't interested in, I re-ordered them to the way I wanted, with BBC1 on channel 1 and BBC2 on channel 2, with the rest following.

What happened after I finished my channel ordering was that when I went to channel 1, it would display BBC1 for a few seconds, then go blank, then show BBC2. BBC2 is now at channel 1 and BBC1 is at either channel 2 or channel 25 or somewhere else.

What model no. LG is it? If it is a Freesat model, you should be able to access a better setup procedure & get a proper EPG. No need to re-order channels.

I presume when setting up, you used Ireland as country setting & didn't have to enter a UK postcode or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mac25

I would be very interested in if you can get Freesat on your 2013 model LG TV. I was in a shop the other day and noticed the satellite connector on the back of the new 2013 LG TVs. I was looking at the LG 39LN575V model. The LG site does not mention satellite or DVB-S2 on the new TVs. I am about ready to buy and Freesat would seal the deal. I would also be interested in if you got the DVR to work with the satellite tuner. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

What model no. LG is it? If it is a Freesat model, you should be able to access a better setup procedure & get a proper EPG. No need to re-order channels.

I presume when setting up, you used Ireland as country setting & didn't have to enter a UK postcode or anything?

Sorry, been a bit busy lately. It's the 42" 42LN570V. Yes, I had Ireland as the country.
    mac25 wrote: »
    I would be very interested in if you can get Freesat on your 2013 model LG TV. I was in a shop the other day and noticed the satellite connector on the back of the new 2013 LG TVs. I was looking at the LG 39LN575V model. The LG site does not mention satellite or DVB-S2 on the new TVs. I am about ready to buy and Freesat would seal the deal. I would also be interested in if you got the DVR to work with the satellite tuner. Thanks

Yes, both Saorview and Freesat are available on the model I bought. I didn't try out DVR though. There's only one satellite connector, so you wouldn't be able to watch one while recording another like Sky+

I don't think that tv is an actual Freesat model. Freesat is only an epg & interactive features, available on licensed equipment. That tv more than likely only provides "now & next" info for UK channels, with no ability to select a region & avoid tuning in duplicate BBCs, ITVs etc. unless you scan each frequency separately.

As to your original query re. channels moving around, don't know what could be causing that, unless you haven't actually saved your list & left the edit menu or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 mac25

There is a big difference between Freesat and a standard satellite tuner. It is a real pain having to constantly retune when the channels move around with a standard satellite tuner. I reckon the Freesat won't be an option unless the UK is selected as the country when the TV is setup initally.

Whoami1, any chance you can select UK as your country and attempt to retune? Freesat always asks for a postcode to setup your regional variations. Freesat also has a 7 day EPG. There is nothing about the satellite tuner for these TVs on the web. Many thanks

The decent channels rarely, if ever, need retuning. The big advantage of Freesat is the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yes, both Saorview and Freesat are available on the model I bought. I didn't try out DVR though. There's only one satellite connector, so you wouldn't be able to watch one while recording another like Sky+

Is it possible to order saorview channels in the same list as fta satellite?
    What key presses are involved in going from rte1 to bbc1 for example?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

I dough that. I have a Panasonic Freesat tv which has two tuners,one for Freesat and the other for Saorview. To change from one to the other you must pick your choice of tuner.Therefore you cant list the two together. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eduard2004

Hi whoami1,

I especially made an account on this forum as you are the only person so far writing anything about the exact same problem I have with my LG television 32LN540U, bought in Norway.

It is also doing the channel swap thing, which is really annoying. I tried to download the latest firmware, which dates back to the end of April 2014: MP_M1_DVB_RevNo7163_V03.15.01_usb_V2_SECURED.epk, still, it doesn't make a difference.

So then I decided to get in touch with the USA helpdesk (as the European desk was closed already at 8pm local time). The person at the other end didn't recognise the issue, and suggested to have the television serviced.

Have you had any progress with your television?

• Advertisement

Hi again!

After having browsed around using some German key words, I found a solution which so far seems to work!

Your TV will allow you to download your whole channel list to a USB stick. The files on this stick can be edited by something called "ChanSort" (it's a SourceForge project). Then you just write your updated channel list (get rid of all not-working channels, and sort your favourite channels as you wish) back to your USB stick, and back to your television.

Make sure to have the newest firmware installed on your television.

In order to get into a hidden menu in your television for writing to and reading from your USB-stick, keep 'Settings' pressed until the channel info appears at the top of the screen. Then release, and rapidly type 1105+OK. Then choose what USB function you prefer.

Also in this same menu, choose LG Hotel MOde Setup > DTV Channel Update > set to Manual. This apparently is the cause of channels changing automatically, as the satellite receiver in your TV believes it has reasons to get rid of some channels sometimes. Perhaps, this will be the only necessary step to take, but after finding ChanSort, I just had to redo my programme list. It's much easier than doing it with the remote.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul_S

Recent posts seem to hint at solving a niggling problem I have. About 15 months ago I bought an LG 3d smart TV (model 42LM620S). Great set and allows me to have soarview & sat on one 'guide' and go up and down terrestrial and satellite channels seamlessly. About 3 months ago I bought a 2nd LG TV (model 32 LA620V) again with both terrestrial and satellite tuners. On this model however I cant seem to get one guide or move up and down channels seamlessly. I have to go into a menu and change the tuner to terrestrial or satellite (or cable also) and then switch the available channels in that tuner mode. I wondered if there is a way to have one combined setup on the LA620V tv like I have on the LM620S....any clues out there ?

Hi Paul! I am experiencing the same thing as you with my television. I always have to press the 'List' button, press 'red', and then change to 'Satellite', in order to switch from the terrestrial programme list to the satellite programme list. It is tedious, but apparently the way it is supposed to be. It is not a smart tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭tom23

Howdy Folks, has anyone got this model of LG 49LF590V? If they do can they get SAOIRVIEW on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭blackbox

If its any help to anyone who has no Satellite EPG on their LG tv, I have managed to sort it out on mine.
    I selected the location as United Kingdom (Pin 0000 required unless you have changed it). It warned me that all programmed channels would be deleted and I clicked OK. It said something about automatically selecting a post code (didn't read!),
    For satellite tuning it gave the option to select Freesat or other. I selected Freesat and tune automatically.

Hey presto. All channels tuned and EPG working.

The only caveat is that I don't know if this will disable your Saorview if it thinks you are in the UK. In my case we don't get any terrestrial signal so no issue.

Advertisement