Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats expected?

Options
  • 29-03-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

So i'm in my final year of college considering doing a masters next year and to be honest getting a bit worried.

Whats expected from a website designer in a job role? Do you need to know how to program stuff to work with CMS systems or do you just need to be able to design with html and css?

I know development you need to know the majority of coding languages but if theres any designers out there who can give a wee breakdown of what the jobs actually entail that'd be awesome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

It depends where you go, really. Where I work, our designers don't touch code, they just work within Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc...
    I think it's really important that you at least understand HTML and CSS even if you don't end up writing any. It'll give you a better idea of what will work when your design gets translated to code. Same goes for when you're testing your design in the browser, you could talk to the developers saying things like "We need to increase the border radius here..." or "this element needs some more bottom padding".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

We are currently looking for a Frontend Developer and a Frontend Designer. For the designer we are looking for HTML, CSS, and Photoshop/Adobe skills. The designer would need to be able to show a portfolio of designs (e.g. Mockups, Website Interfaces, Banner Ads, etc.)

The designer would spend their days designing User Interfaces for websites, backend Administration areas, Banner Ads, and doing some HTML CSS work on specific sites.

The Frontend Developer would need JS, JQuery, HTML, CSS, potentially json experience. This would be more about the heavy lifting in implementation.

But all this is very contingent on the business clients needs...so really it is quite a flexible thing in reality.

Advertisement