Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator pulley seized

Options
  • 14-10-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hi, my friends 2001 fiesta lay up 16 months at the back of his house but when you start the car the pulley wheel on alternator is seized and the belt is going round but its not, any quick solutions, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If you don't fancy dismantling the alternator, pulling the bearings and replacing them with relatively cheap new items from the likes of Reliance Bearing, I suggest a good second hand one from a breaker's. You may change that belt as you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭yeller

thanks is it possible to just free the pulley wheel someway for the moment to get her moved,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

jimgoose wrote: »
    If you don't fancy dismantling the alternator, pulling the bearings and replacing them with relatively cheap new items from the likes of Reliance Bearing, I suggest a good second hand one from a breaker's. You may change that belt as you're at it.
    yeller wrote: »
    hi, my friends 2001 fiesta lay up 16 months at the back of his house but when you start the car the pulley wheel on alternator is seized and the belt is going round but its not, any quick solutions, thanks

Best bet would be(if your sure car will start in the morning) cut belt off and drive to mechanic,power steering will be nought, but other than that you'll be grand.... Now you could try lil DIY with small shots off WD40 (NOT ON THE BELT)...... And manipulating the pulley by hand, seeing as the car was lieing up so long it sounds like just weather damage/cease... Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭yeller

ok thanks

Advertisement