Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German language, (RTE radio ad.)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Do they have a website? Did a quick google there and couln't find a decent German employment website from an English-speakers point of view. Have a bit of German myself, wouldn't mind working in Germany it's a great aul country!
    You should go. Feck all no-one else works there, I reckon anyway, from my recent visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Do they have a website? Did a quick google there and couln't find a decent German employment website from an English-speakers point of view. Have a bit of German myself, wouldn't mind working in Germany it's a great aul country!

not using the google thing properly so , loads out there

if you can put up with the German mind set , it can be a good place to go
    but they can be a funny bunch them Germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

dj jarvis wrote: »
    not using the google thing properly so , loads out there

if you can put up with the German mind set , it can be a good place to go
    but they can be a funny bunch them Germans

How do you survive every day being so extremely helpful? :rolleyes:

I had found a few sites but wanted to know specifically what german employment office he was talking about.

I've been to Germany a few times, find the people lovely if a little odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Michael Scott: Buneos dias Dwight!
    Dwight Shrute: Guten tag, hier Michael.
    [cut to talking head]
    Dwight Shrute: I don't understand why Michael is wasting his time with Spanish. I have it on very good authority, that within twenty years everyone will be speaking German. [pause] Or a Chinese-German hybrid.

the office season 6 2009:eek:

they can predict the future!!!!:eek:

europe will be speaking german
    america speakin chinese

and when we europeans communicate with the americans, thats the chinese-german hybrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My daughter likes and enjoys German in school (JC this year)

Here's the thing, she is not allowed to drop French and only do one language until LC, and her German teacher is crap.

Also Spanish is the 2nd most widely spoken European language on the planet, rare as hens teeth in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

KTRIC wrote: »
    I lived in Germany for two and a half years and spent a lot of time there on holiday before that. I'd have to say the job market is great, the food and drink is fantastic, as is the countryside, the motorways, the general infrastructure. Well why didn't you stay I hear you say ??

The FUCKING Germans, thats why !! they're some of the most infuriating people I've come across.

Could you tell me more about that please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I prefer the VW add. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

yes but some of those words are a sentence long ;)

Fair point ;)
    MadsL wrote: »
    Here's the thing, she is not allowed to drop French and only do one language until LC, and her German teacher is crap.

It's a balls when you have a bad teacher, it's not a great learning help at all, so I say fcuk the teacher, get her listening to her favourite films and programmes in German, read German magazines/newspapers etc. Do you know any Germans at al that she could talk to? Basically using the language even for a little while on a day to day basis, beats 5 years of German in school.

My school German was pretty good, but 6 months over here and I was able to understand everything and speak really good German, so I could have long converstaions with "ze natives" without being lost for words. As far as grammar goes, once you have the vocabulary, you can spend more time on it and it's actually not as hard as it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Heute Abend auf ESPN um halb Acht: DFB Pokal Viertelfinale Bayern - Dortmund
    Hat das Potential ein echter Kracher zu werden, zumal Dortmund keine Chance auf die Meisterschaft hat und der Pokal die einzige Chance ist Bayern einen reinzuwuergen.
    Viel Spass!

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Hat das Potential ein echter Kracher zu werden, zumal Dortmund keine Chance auf die Meisterschaft hat und der Pokal die einzige Chance ist Bayern einen reinzuwuergen.
    Viel Spass!

Scheiß Fußball Bundesliga!

Thomas_I wrote: »

Scheiß Fußball Bundesliga!
    Pokal?!?

Viel Spass!

Das hat zwar mit diesem Thema nicht unbedingt was zu tun, das Spiel wird aber ein Kracher sein - freue mich drauf und hoffe, dass die Bayern eine Klatsche kriegen (wird aber wahrscheinlich nicht passieren :( )
    Just saying that that post's a bit OT, but looking forward to match and what not ;)
    ]

Pokal?!?

Mir egal. Fußball an sich ist kann ein interessanter Sport sein, die "Begleiterscheinungen" sprich einige "der Fans" sind diejenigen die diesen Sport seit Jahrzehnten in Misskredit bringen. Gröhlend umherziehende, in die Ecken pissende, bis zum geht nicht mehr besoffene, Zugabteile verunreinigende Chaoten deren "Wochenendvergnügen" es ist auf einander loszugehen und sich die ohnehin schon "weiche Birne" noch mehr zu traktieren.

In den Vereinen selbst, überbezahlte Fußballprofies die schon nach kurzer Zeit "Starallüren" entwickeln. Überall das gleiche, nicht nur in Deutschland.

Aber wenn Ihnen die Bundesliga gefällt, schön für Sie.:)

Apanachi wrote: »

Das hat zwar mit diesem Thema nicht unbedingt was zu tun, das Spiel wird aber ein Kracher sein - freue mich drauf und hoffe, dass die Bayern eine Klatsche kriegen (wird aber wahrscheinlich nicht passieren :( )
    Just saying that that post's a bit OT, but looking forward to match and what not ;)
    ]
    Zugegebenermaßen OT, und bestimmt nicht vom Goethe Institut sanktioniert, aber ein wenig Kulturbotschafter zu spielen kann ja nicht schaden.

]

Denken Sie dass die Moderatoren keine Einwände haben, wenn wir diese Konversation in Deutsch fortsetzen? Wäre mir da nicht so sicher.

• Advertisement

Mir egal. Fußball an sich ist kann ein interessanter Sport sein, die "Begleiterscheinungen" sprich einige "der Fans" sind diejenigen die diesen Sport seit Jahrzehnten in Misskredit bringen. Gröhlend umherziehende, in die Ecken pissende, bis zum geht nicht mehr besoffene, Zugabteile verunreinigende Chaoten deren "Wochenendvergnügen" es ist auf einander loszugehen und sich die ohnehin schon "weiche Birne" noch mehr zu traktieren.
    Unfortunately you're right about some of the fans acting like eejits, but at least in the 1. Bundesliga it's not too bad and it is really only a handful of said eejits and I, for one, love watching it.

btw, maybe this conversation is better suited to the soccer forum (just sayin' ;) )

EDIT, just saw Thomas_I's post so want to add this comment to mine
    Denken Sie dass die Moderatoren keine Einwände haben, wenn wir diese Konversation in Deutsch fortsetzen? Wäre mir da nicht so sicher.

That's why I added the spoiler with a short summary in English ;)

Unfortunately you're right about some of the fans acting like eejits, but at least in the 1. Bundesliga it's not too bad and it is really only a handful of said eejit and I, for one love watching it.

btw, maybe this conversation is better suited to the soccer forum (just sayin' ;) )

Yeah, just as you like it. So far I´ve noticed from the daily news, Bayern is still at the top of the Liga. I´ve no clue how long this season goes on. You mind telling me?

I´ve no clue how long this season goes on. You mind telling me?

Another 11 games a piece to go, should be over some time around the middle/end of May

In den Vereinen selbst, überbezahlte Fußballprofies die schon nach kurzer Zeit "Starallüren" entwickeln. Überall das gleiche, nicht nur in Deutschland.

Aber wenn Ihnen die Bundesliga gefällt, schön für Sie.:)

Relax Dude.
    Thats the very reason Germans are being perceived as ueber-serious killjoys a lot of the time. Not even a subject as harmless as footie will be passed on without trying to teach someone their Weltanschauung.

Its a game.

Relax Dude.
    Thats the very reason Germans are being perceived as ueber-serious killjoys a lot of the time. Not even a subject as harmless as footie will be passed on without trying to teach someone their Weltanschauung.

Its a game.

Yes, I know and I´m not for teaching someone else any kind of Weltanschauung, I´m just disgusted by these chaotic fans. That´s all of my expression on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

If my child was starting a language in school and had a choice of German or Mandarin I'd go for Mandarin. China are the up and coming power and are doing all the right moves to boost their economy. Germany in contrast has a complete phobia about inflation and therefore are keeping Euro interest rates higher than they need to be (in the UK & US they are talking about going negative) and they are keeping the Euro out of the currency war. China, US, UK etc are all taking steps to devalue their currency in what some people say is a race to the bottom. However it is only a race to the bottom if everyone takes part. For it not to be a race to the bottom you need an eegit to stay out of it and allow their economy to be one that is undermined. At the moment that eegit is the German dominated EU. Sure Germany appears strong now but by the time our children leave school I wouldn't bet on it. China. That's the future....

MadsL wrote: »
    Here's the thing, she is not allowed to drop French and only do one language until LC

Sorry, something just dawned on me,

1. she has to do more than one language for the LC? Is this new or just her school (it's been a while since I did mine) and

2. Does she do Irish, doesn't that count as a language?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mein Esel ist tot

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Mein Esel ist tot

Use him/her to make burgers then (or even better, salami ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

what use is german?
    Heres an extract from todays Indo about a report looking into the irish jobs market
    Plenty of jobs out there - if you have skills, report finds
    THERE is still high demand from Irish employers for people with degrees, experience and foreign languages, a new report has found.
    <snip>
    A growing minority of so-called 'professional' positions look for candidates with a second language.
    According to the report, German was the most frequently mentioned language required, followed by French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/plenty-of-jobs-out-there-if-you-have-skills-report-finds-29096779.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

KTRIC wrote: »
    I lived in Germany for two and a half years and spent a lot of time there on holiday before that. I'd have to say the job market is great, the food and drink is fantastic, as is the countryside, the motorways, the general infrastructure. Well why didn't you stay I hear you say ??

The FUCKING Germans, thats why !! they're some of the most infuriating people I've come across.

A fun Saturday was washing the car. I could never find out for sure - but I think they tax smiling. Staring is not in any way rude. The Irish and Germans are oil and water. I also endorse the positives you listed but they don't cut it when you are forced to live in such a culture. I'd rather stay on dole back here.

BTW - waste of time learning German, Arabic, Mandarin or any other language spoken by established or emerging trading powers. The realpolitik (if I may borrow a word!) of all this 21st century scenario is that English is the new lingua franca (love the irony of that expression).

We are native speakers of this lingua franca and no trading partner expects us to operate in some pidgin version of their tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I also find it's a very colourful language, the German language has so many fantastic words to describe things that you'd need a whole sentence for in English

Yip, like this, Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz, which is a relevant topic at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Use him/her to make burgers then (or even better, salami ;) )

Wouldn't be as fancy as burgers featuring their equine cousins.
    Then again, esel burgers could be a niche market, I could go all orgainc.
    To Dragonsd den

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

Deutschlernen ist ganz ehrlich gesagt eine tolle Idee. Man fühlt sich wunderbar, wenn man sich in einer anderen Sprache ausdrücken kann. Ich habe Deutsch in der Schule gelernt und sie hat immer spaß gemacht. Dann habe ich auch Deutsch als Nebenfach an der Uni studiert da ich alle was ich gelernt habe nicht vergessen wollte. Ich finde es ganz furchtbar, dass die Iren fast nur Englisch sprechen können. Die normale Haltung der Iren und auch der englisch sprechenden Welt ist furchtbar, was Sprachenlernen betrifft.

Hier in Deutschland gibt es eine immer zunehmende Zahl von Ausländern. Die Leute die aus einer englisch sprechenden Land kommen, lernen Deutsch sehr schlecht, da sie zu faul sind und sie denken dass sie Deutsch nie lernen können. Ich habe Freude aus überall der Welt hier und viele davon kommen aus der Ukraine, Russland, Polen, Tschechien, Spanien, China, Kazakstan usw. Die können alle schon drei Sprachen und lernen sie trotzdem Deutsch weil es ihnen Spaß macht. Es macht so viel spaß eine andere Sprache zu sprechen. Ich kann auch jetzt ein bisschen Russisch. Ich fliege auch nach Sankt Petersburg im Juni Russisch an einer russischen Sprachschule zu lernen.

As the great man once said:
    “Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.”‒Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Actually does anyone have a link for the ad. I was asked to do an interview last year designed to talk about learning German and motivate Irish people to learn German.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

I wish I'd done German in secondary instead of Spanish. I'm doing both now but still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement