Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student job, desperate

• 26-02-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Im a student and I need a job, been looking for months. Any advice other than 'keep looking' 'give up' 'emigrate' 'prostitution'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

tomlad123 wrote: »
    Im a student and I need a job, been looking for months. Any advice other than 'keep looking' 'give up' 'emigrate' 'prostitution'

Start your own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Do you drive? Ask your local food establishments if they need a delivery driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hang around the phoenix park after dark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Try harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Have you tried fast food places? Burger King, McDonalds, Eddie Rockets, Supermacs etc, handy jobs for students since it's nights and weekends for part time staff. Cinemas are worth a try too. Bars used to be till so many of them started going bust so unless you have experience they aren't great for part time work anymore unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

You could give up but I would keep looking, have you considered prostitution or emigration perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Door to door handjobs? It's not prostitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

grinds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

spankysue wrote: »

Could call it bob a job.

I'll take one please ( if OP goes with your idea)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

And you decided to ask in After Hours? Big mistake OP, they're all nuts here.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

If you're based in Cork, PM me. I know a company hiring.

7 7 12 wrote: »
    I'll take one please ( if OP goes with your idea)

Lots of people I know doubted that would be a good business venture.

See ma, I have my first customer already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Is your ma pimping you out to give door to door hand-jobs to strangers on the internet?

It's so nice to still see family businesses succeeding in the current climate. :)

Great but is it you or the OP who will be providing me with satisfaction this evening.?

(love the direction this thread is going in)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tomlad123

Where are you living?

Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I know people, who know people who could use a gofor, if your interested

Dublin
    Yummy,same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

checked out cleaning jobs?:confused:
    there are usualy always many of those going,a lot of people think theyre above cleaning things but its a job that people can put a lot of pride in.

mum did it almost all of her life before retiring-she still gets impulses to go back to it again,the best cleaning job she ever had [from our/the kids view anyway] was when she worked at kellogs as she used to get given bags and bags full of crappy kids toys that got put in the cereals.
    she had worked in the trafford centre,schools etc,just a shame its so underpaid in a lot of places.

there is always looking for work as a support staff-will never ever run short of jobs in this area,and in many places they do not require experience as they train staff.
    our place [a residential centre am living in] wont take anyone under twenty and they have to be experienced to be taken on at twenty to twenty five, but in less challenging areas such as elderly or community based mental health living will find it easier to get into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Prostitution isn't the only option, you've got pickpocketing, burglary, drug dealing, smuggling.

Perhaps your area study opens up even more possibilities? Chemistry: Drug manufacture. Economics: charge the unemployed for poor betting tips. Arts: back to prostitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'm a student and I was looking for a part-time job since July :< No luck here either. We're foocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Dixons Dublin airport were/are looking for flexi/part/full time staff. It was on the notice board in the airport last week, haven't checked it since then. Give them a call and see if they're still hiring.

Sobanek wrote: »
    I'm a student and I was looking for a part-time job since July :< No luck here either. We're foocked.

You should team up with tomlad 123 and the two of ye do door to door handjobs. Ye could call yourselves Double Trouble, one works the shaft while one does the balls, but always charge extra for a sneaky finger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Go to your career guidance (it's generally free in college) and get them to have a look at your CV. I did that and I have a part-time job, booshhaakklaaaccckkkaaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

In my house in college we all have jobs and so do most my friends. It seems it more professional jobs you can't get, rather than just little part time jobs that pay little.

Just persevere. I handed out over sixty CVs, not including the ones I did online. Ask to meet the manager, introduce yourself etc. I don't see myself getting a job with my degree in Ireland when I'm done, but easily enough serving behind a counter....

Also, lie a little on your CV. Till work is the most important really. Say you know how even if you don't, it's not exactly that hard to catch onto...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Where are you living and what have you studied?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Sign up to mystery shopping online. It's not that frequent, but it's a handy 20 quid every now and again, and very little skill needed - basically you need to be able to go into a shop, ask questions and not tell them you're a mystery shopper, before writing a report on the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Dean820 wrote: »
    If you're based in Cork, PM me. I know a company hiring.

Is it "Langer's Massage Parlour?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Post your cv. Even if you take your name and contact off. It will A, been seen a lot and B you will get advice.

Cv gets you an interview. Interview gets you a job

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Abrakebabra has a big "staff wanted" sign up in their window in Donnybrook.

Go, go go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I pity any teenagers looking to make a few quid to take some pressure off their parents.
    The only way to make money these days seems to be by milking cows which isn't too common in Dublin I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Fair play to you OP. The best advice is to keep trying.
    When I was a student back in the 80s/90s the best idea I had was to 'borrow' my dads car, head down to the local hire shop and hire a ladder and lawnmower and then hit the estates and knock on doors offering to cut the grass, do weeding, clean windows or gutters etc.
    I honestly made a lot of money (relatively speaking) from that. But now a days that may be a more difficult proposition as people are weary of cold callers.
    Still though, if a decent trustworthy looking young fella knocked on my door and had a big ladder I could give him a couple of hours work.

Start your own business.

Provided you have the capital investment and solid business plan of course this could also be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The only way to make money these days seems to be by milking cows which isn't too common in Dublin I hear.

I dunno, nightclubs lately are proving the fact that you don't have to be at the races to see a horse. But then thats the whole "milking cows" vs "milking cows" scenario which is probably different and brings us back to the prostitution thing again.

Get on yer bike OP, theres a niche in the market for sandwich deliveries to offices (why don't we have food trucks/streetcarts like the UK/US?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Provided you have the capital investment and solid business plan of course this could also be an option?

You don't need a business plan to run a business.

You just have to sell stuff for more than you paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need a business plan to run a business.

You just have to sell stuff for more than you paid for it.

How much more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Fair play to you OP. The best advice is to keep trying.
    When I was a student back in the 80s/90s the best idea I had was to 'borrow' my dads car, head down to the local hire shop and hire a ladder and lawnmower and then hit the estates and knock on doors offering to cut the grass, do weeding, clean windows or gutters etc.
    I honestly made a lot of money (relatively speaking) from that. But now a days that may be a more difficult proposition as people are weary of cold callers.
    Still though, if a decent trustworthy looking young fella knocked on my door and had a big ladder I could give him a couple of hours work.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

The only way to make money these days seems to be by milking cows horses which isn't too common in Dublin I hear.

FYP. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Go home Emmet, you're drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Would need to see your CV. What is your previous work experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Chugging, all students seem to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Last time I was in Penneys in Dundrum they were looking for part-time staff to work evenings and weekends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Babysitting. I paid a babysitter 45 quid last night :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Go into a Bar and ask can you work for free for a week to get the experience. Then leave with your newly found experience and get a paid bar job.
    Barmen are never out of a job in this country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

We need more information in order to help you OP. It would help if you told us what types of jobs you have been applying for, what types of jobs you have done in the past, what you are studying for and any other qualifications you may have, what your interests are, what you availability is etc. Also what general area you are.

From this we can evaluate your skill set, determine what opportunities may be available, how competent and capable you are, what type of roles may suit you. And then from this we can then calculate exactly how much you should be charging for handjobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

odesk.com
    elance.com
    fiverr.com

You should be able to make some cash on any of the above sites. How much is up to your skill set and/or imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

eoins23456 wrote: »
    grinds

Mentioned already earlier in the thread:

Hi OP, 7 7 12 here, just thought of an idea earlier while showering there and thought I would post up, my idea that is - would you ever consider giving door-to-door handjobs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement