Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Airport Security (again!)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

farohar wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you from using a shard of obsidian (supposedly fragments to a finer edge than even a surgeon's scalpal) in the end of a melted toothbrush as a knife. Fact is if someone really wants to figure out a way of getting weapons on board a plane they'll find a way. Then what about threatening to take a batch of cyanide pills, in the enclosed air of the plane everyone would be subject to the poisoning, think a brief detour would be preferable to dying to most people.

lets ban air travel completely so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The T-Virus mixed with Solanum is what keeps me awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

davidoco wrote: »
    And where's the lucozade when you need it. Overpriced and back in duty free.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,422 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Do you have anything in your carry on luggage that could be used as a weapon?"

"Well let me see, my laptop is pretty heavy - I could probably clock someone over the head with it and do some damage. Then there is the power cable, perfect for strangulation. I have a few pens - I could jab someone in the neck...."

Its such a ridiculous question, but you have to stand there and say "No".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

God i hate people like you lot. Im security for US bound flights in Shannon Airport. Any questions you are asked are set out by the TSA(The US Government), they have to be asked. Dont be so stupid, just answer them and dont be a smart arse about it. We only laugh at you when you go past us so dont think you're getting one up on us.

And with regards to the liquid ban, that is also set out by every government in the world, why do people persist in giving out about it? You all seen the news last year, thats why there is a ban. It irritates the sh1t out of me when people give out about losing a bottle of water, its been on the news for more than a year, you know its not allowed so why did you try to carry it on.

/rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Melion wrote: »
    God i hate people like you lot. Im security for US bound flights in Shannon Airport. Any questions you are asked are set out by the TSA(The US Government), they have to be asked. Dont be so stupid, just answer them and dont be a smart arse about it. We only laugh at you when you go past us so dont think you're getting one up on us.

Our rants aren't aimed at you, they are aimed at whatever bureaucrats came up with the rules. they're not very smart, it appears (see below)
    And with regards to the liquid ban, that is also set out by every government in the world, why do people persist in giving out about it? You all seen the news last year, thats why there is a ban. It irritates the sh1t out of me when people give out about losing a bottle of water, its been on the news for more than a year, you know its not allowed so why did you try to carry it on.

/rant over
    Yes we saw the news. The point is, if someone wants to cause havok on a plane they will find a way to do it. Someone tried to take liquid explosives on a plane so they banned liquids. Next year someone will strangle someone with headphones so they'll ban shoelaces and headphones. The following year a judo blackbelt will kill someone so they'll ban martial artists. And so it will continue ad infinitum...

And yet they'll still allow literally tons and tons of stock into the duty free shops every day without checkin it out. Its completely illogical!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"Do you have anything in your carry on luggage that could be used as a weapon?"
    I wonder is Chuck Norris aloud on a plane? Considering he is a deadly weapon.
    I got through with a giant scissors that i forgot was in my bag last weekend.

Stabby Stabby
    That happened to me too. I think I was flying from Vienna to Dublin and I forgot about the scissors in my carry on. I said sorry, will I have to leave that here? The security guard (Austrian) did a very typically Irish gesture and just let me off putting the scissors back in my bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Same thing happened to me flying home from Berlin during the summer, had a swiss army knife in my bag, went through x-ray, security guy comes over, i take it out and fully expect to lose it, he opens the large blade, looks at it then folds it away and hands it back to me and says, "It's ok"...

I was like wtf?? It's ok?? but yet i couldnt bring any liquids on board

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭MOH

ScumLord wrote: »
    That happened to me too. I think I was flying from Vienna to Dublin and I forgot about the scissors in my carry on. I said sorry, will I have to leave that here? The security guard (Austrian) did a very typically Irish gesture and just let me off putting the scissors back in my bag.

I was flying back from Riga earlier in the year. Had some liquid in the bag over 100 ml. Expected security guy to take it off me, but he just said it had to be in a clear plastic bag. Then he handed me a clear plastic bag. Put liquid in bag, eveything OK now. Except I then had to pay him about 50 cents for the plastic bag!

Worst extortion attempt ever.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

/rant over

HATE you people.Complete nobodies given a tiny taste of power so they try to ruin everybody's flight.I suppose it must rankle,i'm heading off to the sun for two weeks and you're stuck in a poxy airport with no natural light all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MOH wrote: »
    I was flying back from Riga earlier in the year. Had some liquid in the bag over 100 ml. Expected security guy to take it off me, but he just said it had to be in a clear plastic bag. Then he handed me a clear plastic bag. Put liquid in bag, eveything OK now. Except I then had to pay him about 50 cents for the plastic bag!

Worst extortion attempt ever.
    I'll be in Riga in about 2 weeks.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I had the pleasure of flying through Kapalua airport in Maui, Hawaii this summer. There are no words for how hilarious it was. It was a tiny airport, that only did a couple of inter-island flights a day so it's hardly a likely target for terrorists or anything, but there was absolutely zero security. Even Donegal airport has security!

There was a metal detector and all that, but nobody manning them. We just waltzed on through with our bags. You didnt check your bags in, the pilot picked them up at the gate and carried them to the plane. The cockpit door was the flimsiest thing I've ever seen. The pilot even made a joke about it being Al-Qaeda proof.

Best view I've ever seen from an airport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

/rant over

As has been said already the new security situation in airports is shambolic. It seems to be aimed at creating a situation of panic and fear. I don't ever remember a plane being blown up with a liquid bomb. It's an absurd rule and one that seems to be aimed squarely at making life difficult for people.
    As other posters have mentioned, they aren't allowed take on any liquids more than 100ml yet the security guards don't batter an eyelid at knives or scissors. How does that make sense?

And don't get me started on how gruff some of these people are. While some are very pleasant, an awful lot seem to be souless people with an inability to smile. It's incredibly annoying, it doesn't cost anything to smile. Sure you might be dealing with alot of people, but you knew that when you applied for the job, so if you have a problem dealing with the public, give it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

eo980 wrote: »
    As has been said already the new security situation in airports is shambolic. It seems to be aimed at creating a situation of panic and fear. I don't ever remember a plane being blown up with a liquid bomb. It's an absurd rule and one that seems to be aimed squarely at making life difficult for people.
    As other posters have mentioned, they aren't allowed take on any liquids more than 100ml yet the security guards don't batter an eyelid at knives or scissors. How does that make sense?

And don't get me started on how gruff some of these people are. While some are very pleasant, an awful lot seem to be souless people with an inability to smile. It's incredibly annoying, it doesn't cost anything to smile. Sure you might be dealing with alot of people, but you knew that when you applied for the job, so if you have a problem dealing with the public, give it up.

Amen.What kind of a bomb would be in liquid form but requiring no electrical detonator to set it off?A bottle of nitroglycerine(for example) would have detonated on the bus on the way to the airport.AND There are no spectroscopes to detect proper explosives either.The people who trot out this absurd routine are usually incredibly unfriendly,rude and unpleasant.They seem to forget that its the paying public who pay thier bloody wages so they dont need to behave like arseholes all the time.Bloody clowns ahve been watching too much television.

Degsy wrote: »
    HATE you people.Complete nobodies given a tiny taste of power so they try to ruin everybody's flight.I suppose it must rankle,i'm heading off to the sun for two weeks and you're stuck in a poxy airport with no natural light all day.

See, if you read my post you'd have read i dont cater for your chav holidays to crete. Its US Bound flights that i work with. Im not at the metal detectors with them muppets. I finish at half 1 at the latest every day so i see plenty of natural light, thanks a lot for your concern though.

How exactly is someone taking a bottle of water off you ruining a flight?

Degsy wrote: »
    Amen.What kind of a bomb would be in liquid form but requiring no electrical detonator to set it off?A bottle of nitroglycerine(for example) would have detonated on the bus on the way to the airport.AND There are no spectroscopes to detect proper explosives either.The people who trot out this absurd routine are usually incredibly unfriendly,rude and unpleasant.They seem to forget that its the paying public who pay thier bloody wages so they dont need to behave like arseholes all the time.Bloody clowns ahve been watching too much television.

Did you hear anything about what happened last year with the liquid bomb theory? But of course you are smarter and know more about bombs than professionals in England and America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I heard some would be terrorists were caught with some solid explosive in the bottom of a drink bottle, is that it or is there more?

humbert wrote: »
    I heard some would be terrorists were caught with some solid explosive in the bottom of a drink bottle, is that it or is there more?

Well if thats what you think it was, then read up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sounds like you're more interested in purporting that you have knowledge of the subject than dispensing it.

• Advertisement

If it was just solid explosives in the bottle why the hell would we be taking liquids off people? Why would people have had to drink baby milk etc last year when this first happened?

Think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well if thats what you think it was, then read up on it

Your tone seems rather aggressive. That poster was asking what you were referring too, they didn't give you a verbal lashing.

eo980 wrote: »
    Your tone seems rather aggressive. That poster was asking what you were referring too, they didn't give you a verbal lashing.

I wasnt being aggressive, didnt mean to come across that way. I just dont like people giving out about us doing our job but then not knowing why we are doing it (Not the person who asked me, i know that. Im talking about people in general).

Im sure if one of your loved ones was on a flight that was a terrorist target and it was prevented in Shannon/Cork/Dublin/Belfast, you'd be thankful to the operation that stopped that plane being blown up.

Sure the chance of anything happening from an irish airport is minute but the chance is still there, while it is there im happy for people to be over-protective.

Advertisement