Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student job, desperate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sell vodka lemonade to people on their way to work. Gotta have something to get you through the day.
    Chugging, all students seem to do that

That's a horrible thing to say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Aldi, Lidl, Penneys, call centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Does your college do a student job mailing list? Maybe have a chat to the people in the student union of your college, they might know of place of hiring (I'm sure companies contact them all the time looking for staff).

Have you tried any of the promotional companies around Dublin? There's quite a few if you google search them.

Look around the shops for Hiring signs.

CV drop into big stores in shopping centres/department stores etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Madam_X wrote: »
    Penneys

I got rejected by Penneys last year. Devasted. :(

Online application was 5 pages long! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I see HCL are recruiting part-time customer service folks to work at Eircom, here. Evenings & Weekends.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Go out on the street and pretend to collect for a charity, then, keep all the money! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

tomlad123 wrote: »
    Im a student and I need a job, been looking for months. Any advice other than 'keep looking' 'give up' 'emigrate' 'prostitution'
    Right, I'll bite. What do you do? What are your skills? Are you vaguely normal? Are you a lazy funt?Do you drive? Where do you live? Etc etc. Answers on a postcard, or a post, if you've no card..

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

I'm looking to hire someone if your interested. Would be for 9 to 5 on a saturday and Sunday and one day a week of your choice from 6 to 10 if your interested. Its an administration/data entry role and wages are 11 euro an hour. It also has full time summer prospects. The only thing is its in my house and you will have to work naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lilyrose22

Try pubs and clubs.. Puts a damper on your weekend social life but you can make up for it during the week in college!! I worked in a pub all through college and loved it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Go out on the street and pretend to collect for a charity, then, keep all the money! :pac:

There's enough of that carry-on around our end here, don't even joke about it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Larianne wrote: »
    I got rejected by Penneys last year. Devasted. :(

Online application was 5 pages long! :mad:

Don't feel too bad.
    A few years back I was rejected by Dunnes Stores. DUNNES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

IrishExpat wrote: »

Don't feel too bad.
    Good lord, how appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Don't feel too bad.

It could be worse a few years back I got rejected by tesco !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

It could be worse a few years back I got rejected by tesco !!!!

I got rejected by KFC last week!

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need a business plan to run a business.

You just have to sell stuff for more than you paid for it.

To get capital investment and/or other assistance from banks/other sources in order to buy stock or meet other costs you most likely will need a business plan at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The trick is to lie through your teeth on your CV, no experience? No problem, lie make something up. The Mod Flanders type here will tell you how not too but its a dog eat dog world out there and honesty counts for nothing.

For example you're applying for Dunnes, why would Dunnes want to hire you when there are loads of people with experience? Well you have experience, you worked in a shop for 2 years and put you aunty down as a reference, instead of aunt though write something like shop manager!

Id suggest wet work but Ive no idea how those people get their first clients. Its not like you can advertise is it? Or walk into the pub handing out little leaflets. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Sobanek wrote: »
    I got rejected by KFC last week!

We have a winner !!!

Advertisement