Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point of "Equal Opportunities"

Options
  • 21-12-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Currently applying for a few jobs to big companies, and almost all applications have an "equal opportunities" section. They ask questions such as your sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity... I mean shouldn't everyone be considered equal, and hired just because of their suitability for the job, and not sex, sexual orientation and ethnicity? If these things don't matter, what's the point of asking them? Do they have some quota of "diversity" to be filled in, example, some proportion of people must be black, asian, gay or trans? I have no problem filling them in truthfully, and I acknowledge that there is a "prefer not to disclose" section, but still?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you in the North (where there are reporting requirements on religion at least) or the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

Are you in the North (where there are reporting requirements on religion at least) or the Republic?

I'm in the Republic, but applying to jobs in the UK and Ireland. And this is just a general question out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hi everyone,

Currently applying for a few jobs to big companies, and almost all applications have an "equal opportunities" section. They ask questions such as your sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity... I mean shouldn't everyone be considered equal, and hired just because of their suitability for the job, and not sex, sexual orientation and ethnicity? If these things don't matter, what's the point of asking them? Do they have some quota of "diversity" to be filled in, example, some proportion of people must be black, asian, gay or trans? I have no problem filling them in truthfully, and I acknowledge that there is a "prefer not to disclose" section, but still?
    It's really an internal thing for the company's HR. That section probably has small print detailing what the data is being collected for and who will have access to it.

The aim is not fill "quotas", but rather to detect any potential areas where one type of candidate is being preferred over another.

This is especially a problem in big companies where HR only do basic sign-off checks, all of the interviewing and vetting is done by people inside that department. So by collecting this data they can recognise when, for example, 60% of all applicants for a certain type of job are women, but one department seems to hire 75% young white men for that particular role. In that case, it becomes apparent that a bias has formed in that department (unintentionally or otherwise) which may need to be addressed.

Ultimately it's an arse-covering exercise. The company don't really care about diversity, but if you do have one manager whose hiring decisions are clearly biased, then you have a big lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TheChosenOne

seamus wrote: »
    It's really an internal thing for the company's HR. That section probably has small print detailing what the data is being collected for and who will have access to it.

The aim is not fill "quotas", but rather to detect any potential areas where one type of candidate is being preferred over another.

This is especially a problem in big companies where HR only do basic sign-off checks, all of the interviewing and vetting is done by people inside that department. So by collecting this data they can recognise when, for example, 60% of all applicants for a certain type of job are women, but one department seems to hire 75% young white men for that particular role. In that case, it becomes apparent that a bias has formed in that department (unintentionally or otherwise) which may need to be addressed.

Ultimately it's an arse-covering exercise. The company don't really care about diversity, but if you do have one manager whose hiring decisions are clearly biased, then you have a big lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oh right, it makes perfect sense now. Hopefully they use it in the way you said it! Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

AFAIR for US Multi-Nationals there are requirements to show that they hire from a diverse field of candidates or else they will lose the opportunity to bid for Federal contracts. Presumibly the same HR policies carry onto overseas sites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement