Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Biology Question-Mandatory Practicals

Options
  • 29-05-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I keep coming across this question in the exam papers in relation to the alcohol fermentation experiment:

Why as the apparatus sterilised before the investigation?

WHY INDEED.

Can anybody answer this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

To kill any micro-organisms that may be already present and interfere with the respiration of yeast cells.

I could be wrong now, but it'd be something along those lines, given that yeast is a micro-organism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oryxandcrake

That sounds about right! Thanks.

No bother at all :) What year was that paper?

My teacher printed out some section A and B questions from past mock papers. It was in 2 of them. I think these ones are a lot trickier than the real ones though! (I hope she was just trying to scare us into studying more :S)

Ah, don't worry about it, as long you write something that makes some sense you'll get some marks :) Yeah, I find that too, don't panic too much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Just do all the past papers for the praticals. They aren't that hard. But my class was warned don't expect 1 experiment per question. Except a mixture like the immolisation, then test for sugars and then something else one after an other in the same question. But don't panic and look at it again.

Yeah, I kind of noticed a shift from the 'experiment per question' format in the last couple of years. These mock papers don't really reflect the way they've been doing them recently. They only use one experiment and ask more obscure questions.

Advertisement