Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman (2017)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A TV spot for this movie had just appeared on RTÉ One there a few minutes ago.

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Would only take this with a grain of salt but initial feedback from media screenings are actually positive. I'm pretty hopeful that this turns out well.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-reactions-for-wonder-woman-are-spectacular-1795356828

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I seen one where they said they felt there was some slight pacing issues around the middle of the film but that they still really enjoyed it. So it looks positive so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I fear that the liberal and feminist brigade will give this a good review regardless if its good, bad or average. Il hold my judgement until i see some truted reviewers give their thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well said. I'm sure you're just as wary of right-wing misogynists panning the movie "regardless if its good, bad or average".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

ricero wrote: »
    I fear that the liberal and feminist brigade will give this a good review regardless if its good, bad or average. Il hold my judgement until i see some truted reviewers give their thoughts
    The brigade as you called it has given it stick already ranging from shaved arm pits to promoting dieting products. If anything the knives are out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a mad bet for this thread: how about having a discussion about the film without resorting to snide remarks about 'liberals', feminists or whatever it is is your personal trigger that you see as some opposition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

pixelburp wrote: »
    Here's a mad bet for this thread: how about having a discussion about the film without resorting to snide remarks about 'liberals', feminists or whatever it is is your personal trigger that you see as some opposition?

Hey playa im really looking forward to this movie but its the first proper superhero film with a female lead and i feel some of the reviews may be more lenient because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya'd have a point PIX IF last years ghostbusters wasnt sitting on 73% in rotten tomatoes to this day.

critics have a big credibilty issue on films like this now, saddly down to their own unprofessionalism. i wont be listening to the press set on this one as the vitrtue signalers will be all over it.

personally from what ive seen im hoping for something on captain america 1/ thor 1 levels.

it finally looks like theyve got their act together, but micheal bay trailers look good too !

fingers crossed though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey playa im really looking forward to this movie but its the first proper superhero film with a female lead and i feel some of the reviews may be more lenient because of this

By your own admission it's a significant film in the 20 years we've had superheroes as blockbuster staple, but while it's OK for you to note this, if critics do so, or shock show perceived leniency, then you'll scream liberals or feminists?

Like it or not, Wonder Women has status and is a noteworthy figure in comic-books. This is literally only the second on-screen adaptation of the 80 year old character (correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Linda Carter show was the only other time Wonder Woman was adapted to live-action) and that is more than likely going to figure in the discussions; it's simply an unavoidable part of the debate. As the saying goes, art doesn't exist in a vacuum. Maybe, just maybe, instead of screeching epithets because 'feminists' are your personal cognitive nemesis, it's worth simply taking note of this and absorbing these contexts - if they come up.

This is all the height of conjecture of course given that the film may yet suck
    ya'd have a point PIX IF last years ghostbusters wasnt sitting on 73% in rotten tomatoes to this day.

critics have a big credibilty issue on films like this now, saddly down to their own unprofessionalism. i wont be listening to the press set on this one as the vitrtue signalers will be all over it.

And so what if it does? The history of film is littered with disparities between critics and audiences (hell, look at the recent DC filmography so far), or with films that fall out of favour after a seemingly unanimous period of gushing praise - AKA almost any 'Best Picture' winner in Oscars history. Just because websites now can magic up some apparently immovable percentage of truth shouldn't make these shifting opinions any more significant. If Ghostbusters is your personal point of no return for the fallibility of film criticism, you've lasted longer than most :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This is literally only the second on-screen adaptation of the 80 year old character (correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Linda Carter show was the only other time Wonder Woman was adapted to live-action)
    There was a 1974 TV movie (a pilot for an intended TV series), before the 1975 Carter series, with Cathy Lee Crosby as Wonder Woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There was also a pilot a few years back starring Adrienne Palicki that didn't get picked up.

There was also a pilot a few years back starring Adrienne Palicki that didn't get picked up.

Oh yeah, I knew there was another one I definitely had heard of: from what I read & saw of the Palcki one, I'm glad it got shelved. It sounded horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Some clips for those of you that want to see them.

http://batman-news.com/2017/05/20/wonder-woman-clips-b-roll-footage/

I have to say it looks really good. I love the theme tune, which is definitely something they got right from BvS.

Very similar scenes to Superman (1978), with the alley scene and getting stuck in the door.

**** it, I'm officially excited! :D

Oh yeah, I knew there was another one I definitely had heard of: from what I read & saw of the Palcki one, I'm glad it got shelved. It sounded horrendous.

It sure did. She looked well though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I don't know who this woman is.

Apparently the review embargo has been moved forward to Monday instead of Wednesday.

That is surely a good sign of confidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I don't know who this woman is.

If Wonder Woman is anything like the animated films of the last few years, I imagine that might be a line used by many people! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Slydice wrote: »
    If Wonder Woman is anything like the animated films of the last few years, I imagine that might be a line used by many people! :D

Aside from cryptic replies is there any reason why we should know her or take her opinion with high regard? A quick Googling shows her to be a comic book writer / movie critic. A comic book writer lauds a comic book movie as one of the best movies of all time? Shock! :p

I assume she is someone that had slated the dceu thus far.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I assume she is someone that had slated the dceu thus far.

She was mixed on MOS, she defended Batman v Superman, but hated Suicide Squad and said changes were needed in the DCEU.

She's essentially a nobody, in fairness. Still a good sign when anyone who hasn't liked the DCEU so far is enjoying WW.

lads she gave "ghostbusters 2016" a B.

i wouldnt be touting her as an impartial reviewer, theres Faaaar to much of an agenda going on there.

i gave up watching here youtube page ages back.

I've yet to see a bad report. The worst I've seen is that it's a good movie but not perfect.

WB lifting the review embargo early must be a good sign though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

lads she gave "ghostbusters 2016" a B.

i wouldnt be touting her as an impartial reviewer, theres Faaaar to much of an agenda going on there.

i gave up watching here youtube page ages back.

Yeah, and you're completely impartial, right?

well ive never bigged up a flim on the grounds its been written/acted/directed by a minority and how impotant that is if that what you mean.

i judge them on whether they do their jobs as films and entertain or not

ive got high hopes for wonder woman. ive posted that waaaay back in this thread.

but dont think the virtue singalers wont be all over this in the reviewers/critics community.

my advice would be taper your expectatations. as techdriver posted the move on the moritorium is a good sign.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The paranoia about ghostbusters never ceases to be hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The paranoia about ghostbusters never ceases to be hilarious.

That's because you weren't allowed say anything negative about that movie without white knights attacking you and accusing you of being a misogynistic woman hater. My therapist tells me I can't go through that again as it did a number on me mentally. She says I've been doing better recently.
    That's why I'm afraid to say anything about Wonder Woman even though I think it looks really good. I'm terrified of having an opinion on it though, my anxiety is getting higher closer to its release date.
    Although some of the main figures calling people misogynists over the Ghostbusters thing have since been outed as sexual assulters so there has been a lot less of that with Wonder Woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Looking to hear what Marc Bernardin (former Film Editor for LA Times/writer) has to say, we've pretty much agreed on all DC movies since release so his review will be interesting

i think we can expect a crying vid from kev no matter what though !

:D:D:D

i love marc too. its weird the number of times he's said things i was gonna comment on in the comments section of their fatman on batman channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Possibly, thats why I couldnt really trust a Kevin Smith review, his reaction will be OTT, Marc's reviews are more on the ball

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bebopclown wrote: »
    That's because you weren't allowed say anything negative about that movie without white knights attacking you and accusing you of being a misogynistic woman hater. My therapist tells me I can't go through that again as it did a number on me mentally. She says I've been doing better recently.
    That's why I'm afraid to say anything about Wonder Woman even though I think it looks really good. I'm terrified of having an opinion on it though, my anxiety is getting higher closer to its release date.
    Although some of the main figures calling people misogynists over the Ghostbusters thing have since been outed as sexual assulters so there has been a lot less of that with Wonder Woman

Yeah i remember it well, it was gas. Morons scared to be called mysogynists arguing with morons scared to be called white knights over the most controversial non-controversial film ever made while anyone that just wanted to discuss the film on its own merits (some of whom liked it, some of whom didn't) got lost in the noise. It wasn't a particularly good film but it raised a few chuckles and was a good bit better than Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

well ive never bigged up a flim on the grounds its been written/acted/directed by a minority and how impotant that is if that what you mean.

i judge them on whether they do their jobs as films and entertain or not

ive got high hopes for wonder woman. ive posted that waaaay back in this thread.

but dont think the virtue singalers wont be all over this in the reviewers/critics community.

my advice would be taper your expectatations. as techdriver posted the move on the moritorium is a good sign.

You know somones taking the state of film criticism too seriously when you see phrases like " virtue signalling" bandied about ( a first world problem if ever there was) . Look Every reviewer whether it's his job or just fan on a boards ie thread brings his own bias to the table. Some have an anti cgi bias some people like yourself have a bias against any perceived bias. Best thing to do is simply pay attention to reviewers you trust. Who share your own bias and doesn't give anyone a free ride . By all means give no quarter if WW is in fact ****e but fowarning people before it's out is a bit daft, people will make their own opinions . Just debate then into submission on the films merits or lack thereof and leave the discussion on virtue signalling for After hours where imo it belongs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

Virtue Signallers sounds like the most mundane comic book ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

A heroic band of superheroes led by Feminism Man - featuring SJW Girl, Black Lives Matter Boy and Antifa the Wonder Dog.

Together they battle against the evil Red Pill and his machinations to take over the world!!!!

Yeh, sounds shite.

The Social Justice Warrior and the Signallers of Virtue. The greatest 80's cartoon that was never made.

I wish everyone who used the acronym "SJW" would fall off a bridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I encounter substantially more complaints about 'virtue signallers' online these days than I do any actual cases of 'virtue signalling'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Whatever happened to just thinking a reviewer had terrible taste. All you do by throwing around buzzwords like virtue signalling is you become the very thing you hate . A person who makes a big deal over nothing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I encounter substantially more complaints about 'virtue signallers' online these days than I do any actual cases of 'virtue signalling'.

A complaint about "virtue signalling" is itself a virtue signal, it is just signalling to a different group than the signal which is the subject of the complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think its the case for all of these new fangled Jargonesque groups - from the Virture Signalers to the Alt-right.

In real life, these people are few and far between.

Including SJW's :p

NO WAIT, NOT THE BRIDGE AGAIN!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah i remember it well, it was gas. Morons scared to be called mysogynists arguing with morons scared to be called white knights over the most controversial non-controversial film ever made while anyone that just wanted to discuss the film on its own merits (some of whom liked it, some of whom didn't) got lost in the noise. It wasn't a particularly good film but it raised a few chuckles and was a good bit better than Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad at least.

Really cause I just remember making a comment that it didn't look very funny and being dog piled on. It was very upsetting, I didn't engage at all and tried to ignore it but constantly got harassed. Even speaking about it now is making me want to start cutting myself with a knife as that was just such an awful period.

Bebopclown wrote: »
    Really cause I just remember making a comment that it didn't look very funny and being dog piled on. It was very upsetting, I didn't engage at all and tried to ignore it but constantly got harassed. Even speaking about it now is making me want to start cutting myself with a knife as that was just such an awful period.

You need thicker skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

To be honest, the response that seems to have occurred since my post has more reflected people's weirdness about female lead superheroes.... :pac:

I personally enjoyed Ghostbusters although possibly a bit overly long would be my major gripe, response it got in relation to unethical film critics or whatever was simply bizarre. Regardless, it's a film and the scale of outrage that occurred as a result was unbalanced to say the least.

I had very low expectations for this one tbh but I'll remain optimistic at this stage. I did same with Batman vs Superman but it's not going to be a blow to me if it goes same way. :pac: If I get a film that I enjoy, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

First wave of reviews in. 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.8/10, 41 reviews. Looks like we've got a winner here!

RT still means little to me but I can't deny its place in generating positive buzz and word of mouth. Really happy to see that's seemingly one obstacle out of the way for the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm very reluctant to buy into reviews or hype when it comes to these kind of films (as well as Star Wars and Star Trek). Obviously it's a good sign it got such good reviews so far but Star Wars Episode VII got amazing reviews , most of the Marvel films got largely positive to glowing reviews and I found a lot of them to be decent enough Summer blockbusters without being anything special.

I don't know is that people are too easily pleased with these kind of films but there's been very few of these kind of films that have lived up to the hype /reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

siblers wrote: »
    I found a lot of them to be decent enough Summer blockbusters without being anything special.

If it makes it up to decent Summer blockbuster level, that'll be better than anything from DC since Batman Begins in 2005.

• Advertisement
Advertisement