Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman (2017)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love a threesome with Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie

Lasso of Truth was used here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just got round to watching the full comic con panel

Looks good. The director Patty Jenkins is really into Wonder Woman!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What does this post mean?
    ps3lover wrote: »
    I don't understand this.

PS **** the SJW's.

I guess it's like regressive left ironic support of regimes that in theory they should hate - women/homosexual hating dictatorships - but they are also "oppressed" by the west ...so the enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of logic - don´t know seems crazy to me.

But yeah , I can understand , Gal Gadot is Isreali and Jewish and quite good looking - won't suit their agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Needs more invisible planes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Well, I'm emotional. So it did the job for me. Can't stop smiling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks like it might be a lot of fun: amazing what some bold colours & a dash of humour can do to make something appear more enticing and lively.

The historical geek in me's a little irritated though that the Germans appear to have been made the bad guys of WW1. Everyone was the bad-guy in that pointless war, so hopefully it's just the way the trailer's cut.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    That looks like it might be a lot of fun: amazing what some bold colours & a dash of humour can do to make something appear more enticing and lively.

The historical geek in me's a little irritated though that the Germans appear to have been made the bad guys of WW1. Everyone was the bad-guy in that pointless war, so hopefully it's just the way the trailer's cut.

A big budget hollywood fantasy blockbuster set in WW1 that doesn't depict America et al as the good guys? Keep dreamin' man :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The historical geek in me's a little irritated though that the Germans appear to have been made the bad guys of WW1.

We know from Superman v Psychobat that WW was involved in WW1, and that she was not impressed: A hundred years ago I walked away from mankind; from a century of horrors... Men made a world where standing together is impossible

I'm guessing that she may join in thinking the Hun are the baddies, and then learn everyone is a baddie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We know from Superman v Psychobat that WW was involved in WW1, and that she was not impressed: A hundred years ago I walked away from mankind; from a century of horrors... Men made a world where standing together is impossible

I'm guessing that she may join in thinking the Hun are the baddies, and then learn everyone is a baddie.

That's true; hopefully that's how it pans out because while there's obviously no compunction for a comicbook adaptation to be historically accurate, WW1 is such a well-documented and tragically pointless event, it'd be a shame if Wonder Woman didn't work that into the plot. As you suggest, it wouldn't be hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doesn't she come to human kind following Pine's character? Why would she join an opposing force?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Yeah I have the exact same misgivings about depicting the WW1 Germans as simplistic villains. Hopefully it'll be a bit more nuanced than that but based on WB/DC's previous form I wouldn't hold out hope.

Doesn't she come to human kind following Pine's character? Why would she join an opposing force?

That's not why I made the semi-facetious grumble; it's that the trailer's hinting the Germans were the evildoers of WW1. The Nazis, if you will, when the truth was nothing even remotely as black & white. But as already mentioned, it's likely to play out as Zubeneschamali suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

All the slow mo :( why make movies about these amazingly powerful characters and then slow down the shots of them using there abilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

All the slow mo :( why make movies about these amazingly powerful characters and then slow down the shots of them using there abilities

Someone at DC used to watch the Six Million Dollar Man as a kid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

to make these abilities more visible? Deflecting a bullet in real time would be pretty damn hard to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

That last scene where the other woman said I can engage in a bit of fisty cuffs should the occasion arise

:D:D

Nailed it !!

I'll go see it for that scene alone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Well Doctor Poison is now the second villain in the film after Ares. I'm guessing the Doctors use of gasses is tied to the use of chemical warfare during The War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I doubt it. Hollywood WW1 nazis. :rolleyes:

Don't you know, the Germans and Japanese are the only people left that hollyood can be bigoted about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

to make these abilities more visible? Deflecting a bullet in real time would be pretty damn hard to spot.

That's what I thought too. When I look at the likes of Transformers and even MOS (where Snyder actually canned the slow mo), so much **** was happening on screen.....and I couldn't see any of it.

Maybe there are better ways to showcase such abilities, but if using slow motion makes me appreciate what I'm seeing, then that's fair enough with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Slow motion can be used effectively if used sparingly. Overuse just gets annoying. The original Spiderman movies used it well, the was a moment in Avengers AoU with the whole team defending the flag (that's what was about right?) that was slowed down and looked awesome, Wanted used it well, The Matrix obviously, and so on... it's a useful tool to let the audience actually see what this superbeings are doing. But yeah, don't over do it. I don't need to see slo-mo walking menacingly or slo-mo making a cuppa tea. There was some YouTube video linked on one of these thread about Snyder and his use of slo-mo to "create iconic moments". Not everything is an iconic moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

I really want this to be good!

Decent trailer, doesn't give much away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Decent trailer, dialogue felt a bit off but out of context it wouldn't worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The wildly different colour palettes of the Themyscira and London scenes is weirdly off putting... decent enough trailer overall, though a little boring.

An origin trailer has me thinking they went out and asked the public if they knew about the amazons and most said nope :)

The wildly different colour palettes of the Themyscira and London scenes is weirdly off putting... decent enough trailer overall, though a little boring.

Definitely a scene setting trailer, for those not aware of wonder woman's history.

Agree about the colour pallette, it's way overdone. I want to find the first director to use that blue-soaked, desaturated look first and erase the movie from the timeline, it has become so hackneyed and makes too many films look... kinda sickly really. A before and after for those scenes would be enlightening I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume they farmed this out to the same colour grading company who did the Snyder films and they are just trying to make it look consistent. Colourists probably have more control over the visual look of films than DoPs, especially with digital. At least with 35mm the director will notice if the graded film looks worse than in dailies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

At least they didn't do the usual heavy spoiler trailer.

I assume they farmed this out to the same colour grading company who did the Snyder films and they are just trying to make it look consistent. Colourists probably have more control over the visual look of films than DoPs, especially with digital. At least with 35mm the director will notice if the graded film looks worse than in dailies.

Agreed. Though, the thing is, the Themyscira scenes look completely inconsistent. I hope that's the worst complaint I'll have about the film but somehow I doubt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tony EH wrote: »
    I doubt it. Hollywood WW1 nazis. :rolleyes:

Don't you know, the Germans and Japanese are the only people left that hollyood can be bigoted about.

I was thinking the same thing actually, it appears to be giving off that exact feel. That wouldn't go down too well with the Germans and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah ive no prob with the colour scheme. i mean pardise island is meant to be a paradise so doing a "wizard of Oz" on it kinda emphasizes that.

i like how it looks to carry over the wonderwomans outfit too. it really pops with the drudgery of WW1 era society and battlefields and i know its a stupid thing to focus on but the hair when she's fighting in full regalia screams wonderwoman from the comics which i wasnt really expecting.

all in all this is still looking to be the one DC film thatll be worth a damn IMO and while the humour looks a little forced that trailer set her up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Have to say I'm looking forward to this. Always liked the character, hopefully the transition to modern day will be handled as well as Captain America's was.

My eldest girl isn't into superheroes as she thinks there's no real female positive role model ones, so this might just change her mind.

Found this earlier, it's a fan edit of the first two trailers cut with the original music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

I wonder will feminists embrace this movie as they did Ghostbusters!!!

I hope so !!

looks great ! - seems to have a good soundtrack too .

Oh, you know what I just thought of... I bet this movie ends with her turning up in Batman Vs Superman with cameos from both of them.

OU812 wrote: »
    Oh, you know what I just thought of... I bet this movie ends with her turning up in Batman Vs Superman with cameos from both of them.

Well, if they're able to shoehorn in an actual motive for her trying to get that photo back I'm all for it. That was one of the things that bugged me about that side-plot in BvS. Why was she trying to get that photo? To hide her identity? Copying a file to a drive doesn't delete the original or any backups that exist. Was it just that she wanted a copy for her scrapbook? Seems like a lot of effort. Also, what was her plan to get it if Bruce hadn't pulled it off the server? And why after she failed at the first hurdle (it was encrypted) did she just drop the whole thing entirely. She never asked Bruce for the photo... I don't think.

Well, the whole copying the file is just a device for the audience to see her motive. She wanted the photo back because it was taken in WWI & she hasn't aged.

That photo being taken will be a scene in the movie I'd wager. Her getting it back from Bruce will turn up in the Justice League.

• Advertisement

Or begins with Wonder Woman telling Bruce her origin.

Well, the whole copying the file is just a device for the audience to see her motive. She wanted the photo back because it was taken in WWI & she hasn't aged.

:confused:

Her motive is getting it back? To what end? From BvS, I have no idea why she was after that file or what she wanted to do with it. Was she trying to hide it? How does getting a copy of the file help her if her concern is someone might see it and she hasn't aged? In fact she's only making the problem worse because she has (well Bruce has) created ANOTHER copy of it. Why did she give up on trying to get it?

It's a minor thing I know but it really bugged me as something completely stupid and not followed up on in BvS. The reality is, they needed a way to a) introduce WW to the movie and b) jumpstart the world building by having a photo taken in an upcoming movie appear in this one.

A clip was released for this, possibly the first too I think, so a chance to get a sense of the tone of the final feature. It actually looks fairly decent, not too many cuts, a breezy tone. There's a small glimmer of hope ...

That alley scene is clearly influenced from the alley scene in Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

A clip was released for this, possibly the first too I think, so a chance to get a sense of the tone of the final feature. It actually looks fairly decent, not too many cuts, a breezy tone. There's a small glimmer of hope ...

theres been a fair flurry of clips/ tv spots gone up in the last few days and i gotta say im really excited for it.

it seems to be fair close to captain america in tone- albeit with what seems like surer footing.

cant believe wonder woman is the one that looks to be done right. i mean with her origin. i thought it'd be as dodgy to pull off as "thor".

Ugh, I didn't like the look of that at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't really either. It just strikes me as a bit hokey and cliche - DC are still trying way too hard to emulate the Marvel experience but they just can't seem to get it anything close to right.

Horses for courses, but I think my expectations for any of the DC films is so low, that anything that looked remotely competent or vaguely infused with levity was going to get a surprised, if cautious approval.

I definitely don't like the colour grading, but then I generally don't with most blockbusters these days; here everyone looks positively sick.

It's unlikely anyway that I'll go to the cinema to see this, barring universal praise from those I'd consider trusted sources, but I thought it interesting that the first clip didn't make it seem like a complete clusterf*ck (aka, Suicide Squad). At this stage, 'competent' is the high watermark for DC movies.

Horses for courses, but I think my expectations for any of the DC films is so low, that anything that looked remotely competent or vaguely infused with levity was going to get a surprised, if cautious approval.

I definitely don't like the colour grading, but then I generally don't with most blockbusters these days; here everyone looks positively sick.

It's unlikely anyway that I'll go to the cinema to see this, barring universal praise from those I'd consider trusted sources, but I thought it interesting that the first clip didn't make it seem like a complete clusterf*ck (aka, Suicide Squad). At this stage, 'competent' is the high watermark for DC movies.

I can't disagree with any of that. I'll most likely skip this in cinema as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Looks as bad as I thought it would be. Other than the music, I've seen nothing about this to be up'd about.

Advertisement