Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gap between Window Frame and Wooden part (window sill?)

• 14-04-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry not sure what's that part called of window, the wooden part that's from inside room and you can place stuff on it, window sill is it?

Anyways, I just moved into new place, all fine and good except small bits of wind coming through gaps between window frame (plastic) and wooden part.

I have that grip and a big tube of Tec 7 filler which says is ok for metals, wood, plastic, glass etc... friend gave it to me but he doesn't know if that's the right thing.

Would that work?

Basically this one: http://www.contec7.co.uk/tec7-filler.htm

Thanks.

Also if that's the right one, do you just kind of slide it along seams/gaps/edges then use something to kind of smear it in?

Never did this before but want to do myself so I know, I've faced many times with problems like this but never been able to fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

They're window boards :) Are they painted or varnished? What colour are the windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

dmc17 wrote: »
    They're window boards :) Are they painted or varnished? What colour are the windows?

Window boards and window frame is white. and they are varnished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

arleitiss wrote: »
    Window boards and window frame is white. and they are varnished.

If they are varnished, clear silicone might look better unless you're very tidy with the white coloured filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would use decoraters acrylic caulk (sometimes called "painter's mate") to seal gaps between window board and frame, it's easily applied and finished. The caulk should really be finished in paint as it will get dirty otherwise (it is over paintable and designed to be painted/ should not be left unpainted). If the window boards are varnished you can get silicone sealant (specifically intended for sealing around frames, wood floors etc) in a light brown "wood" shade, but obviously this is a lot trickier to apply neatly as it is not acrylic based. Just takes a little practice and make sure the surfaces are clean before you start. Rito also do sealant (butyl I think) which comes in various colours and is easy enough to use.

Advertisement