Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retro fit low flow toilet

Options
  • 13-04-2014 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just looking to see if anyone has come across retrofitting an existing toilet to a low/dual flush
    by just replacing the lid and internals, but keeping the existing cistern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

cerastes wrote: »
    Just looking to see if anyone has come across retrofitting an existing toilet to a low/dual flush

You can if you can get the lid with the hole and a blank for the cistern.

When to flush orig came out they were hybrids of the standard cistern ie same body different lid different fitting

However most toilets are non branded Chinese these days so retrofitting might be very very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Can't foresee any issue once you get the connecting plate and gasket. Also, you won't need a lid with push flush. You can get a dual flush syphon which connects to the regular lever type flush handle ( I'm assuming that's the one you have )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thanks for the replies
    You can if you can get the lid with the hole and a blank for the cistern.

When to flush orig came out they were hybrids of the standard cistern ie same body different lid different fitting

However most toilets are non branded Chinese these days so retrofitting might be very very difficult

the 3 toilets are armitage shanks. Off the top of my head, I think it has 7.5 embossed inside some of them, I'll have a look to check again.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Can't foresee any issue once you get the connecting plate and gasket. Also, you won't need a lid with push flush. You can get a dual flush syphon which connects to the regular lever type flush handle ( I'm assuming that's the one you have )

I do have a standard lever type flush, I had thought replace the lids, but now as I read your post, I do recal seeing something somewhere where a low flow was up and the higher flow was down or visa versa or extended push was higher flow.
    I was originally thinking of getting a second blank for the lever flush and replace the lids, but this sounds easier and cheaper. I had thought of putting something in the cistern or anything else that would in the interim

So Im looking for a dual flush syphon, the connecting plate, is that the part the syphon connects to the cistern? (with the gasket as seal?)

Where'd supply these? plumbers merchants?

Thanks for the replies

the 3 toilets are armitage shanks. Off the top of my head, I think it has 7.5 embossed inside some of them, I'll have a look to check again.

I do have a standard lever type flush, I had thought replace the lids, but now as I read your post, I do recal seeing something somewhere where a low flow was up and the higher flow was down or visa versa or extended push was higher flow.
    I was originally thinking of getting a second blank for the lever flush and replace the lids, but this sounds easier and cheaper. I had thought of putting something in the cistern or anything else that would in the interim

So Im looking for a dual flush syphon, the connecting plate, is that the part the syphon connects to the cistern? (with the gasket as seal?)

Where'd supply these? plumbers merchants?

Plumbing suppliers will have the lot. That said, I think I overlooked something in your setup. Can you post a pic of existing bowl / cistern setup? If your pan is fed from the cistern via a swan neck PVC pipe, then the pan will have to be changed to accommodate a close-couple setup. Not expensive by any means to swap over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

dodzy wrote: »
    Plumbing suppliers will have the lot. That said, I think I overlooked something in your setup. Can you post a pic of existing bowl / cistern setup? If your pan is fed from the cistern via a swan neck PVC pipe, then the pan will have to be changed to accommodate a close-couple setup. Not expensive by any means to swap over.

One toilet is fed directly from the cistern sitting on top of it (main bathroom), the other two are fed by a curved plastic pipe coming down from the cistern.

Hang on, are you saying I'd definitely have to replace the toilet pan?? might just wrap a brick in plastic for those toilets.
    If its still necessary I'll stick up some pictures, but cant get them from my phone, so I'd have to dig out the camera.

• Advertisement

One toilet is fed directly from the cistern sitting on top of it (main bathroom), the other two are fed by a curved plastic pipe coming down from the cistern.

Hang on, are you saying I'd definitely have to replace the toilet pan?? might just wrap a brick in plastic for those toilets.
    If its still necessary I'll stick up some pictures, but cant get them from my phone, so I'd have to dig out the camera.
    No need for snaps as you've explained it clearly, your main bathroom is ok. Though the other 2 need changing, reason being: they are fed via the flush pipe which comes from the cistern into the back of the pan. Obviously, to marry the 2 together, you need a pan that's fed from the top and the pan needs to have the 2 holes fog the coupling plate bolts. I'll say it again: pans are cheap:)

CDV in coolmine will charge you between 50 - 60 yoyos per pan.

Advertisement