Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryobi Strimmer - Carburetor

Options
  • 12-04-2014 4:20pm

Hi, not sure where to post this but hope that someone will be able to help me identify the Idle Mixture Screw on this 1992 Ryobi Strimmer (RCT 2800) carburetor. You'll see the actual and the diagram in the manual don't match, hence my (minor but meaningful!) dilemma. The screw that's at the top has a letter L stamped on the body of the carb, the lower on has H. Not sure what that means either

I'm assuming that the one on its own on the right is the idle speed screw, even though it doesn't touch the throttle lever

It may be old, but there's life in it yet!!

Any help welcome

Thanks

RyobiCarb.jpg

Ryobimanual.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I'm guessing the L is for low idle and the H for high same as on an old outboard engine.
    It should be something like this to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

L is low speed jet/Idle
    H is high speed jet

Whats wrong with it?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it?

Thank you - I can't get it to start after the winter so I thought I'd start from scratch with a setup.

fergal.b wrote: »
    I'm guessing the L is for low idle and the H for high same as on an old outboard engine.
    It should be something like this to setup.

Thanks, it's very similar to the carb on my strimmer, which is also a 31cc motor. I'll give it a go

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

On the same topic. My chainsaw (Topsun) would not start - or would and run like mad and then stop. I searched for as much info. as i could and now have this problem.

Now starting and idling fine, however runs for about 2 mins then starts snorting when throttled - within the 2 mins will cut fine .

any ideas ?

i believe it is carb. related.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you have already adjusted the screws and it's not running set the low idle screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn up from seated and the high 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 and that should get it started and you can fine-tune from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

If you have already adjusted the screws and it's not running set the low idle screw 1/2 to 3/4 turn up from seated and the high 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 and that should get it started and you can fine-tune from there.

Thanks Fergal

Will try Monday.

nedsgarden wrote: »
    Thanks Fergal

Will try Monday.

Ooops sorry that answer was for robert6920 I'm not sure what carb you have but it might be worth a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

The way i start my chainsaw after the winter.Take air filter off and drop a few drips of petrol down the little carb.Put back together give it full choke and full power and start or pull.Works everytime.

Thanks Fergal, I haven't touched them - yet - but as it wouldn't start, I thought I might go back to basics. I might try the "drop of petrol" approach that bigroad uses first -
    bigroad wrote: »
    The way i start my chainsaw after the winter.Take air filter off and drop a few drips of petrol down the little carb.Put back together give it full choke and full power and start or pull.Works everytime.
    although I have no trouble at all starting the chainsaw after it's been laid up a while! The strimmer is more of a cantankerous little devil

• Advertisement
Advertisement