Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel Advice, Ground Work

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hello, first time posting up in this forum!

I've put up a polutunnel recently (12x20 foot) for family veg growing. I have all plans sorted, soil and wood ordered for raised beds. The ground in the tunnel is pretty much clay and has bad drainage so have no intention of growing direct in the ground.

At the moment inside the tunnel there is grass, not 100% even but it is horizontal ground. Would you cover the whole area as it is (grass and all) with a single sheet of oppotex/Mypex and build raised beds directly on top or would you suggest spraying the grass to kill it, digging the whole area to level off the soil, lay weed barrier on top and then build the raised beds?

Failing that, would you just put an integrated weed barrier inside the raised beds but still turn the whole ground inside?

I've searched everywhere for some experienced advice but the internet supplies all info for building and stops about there! :) Any advice you can give will be major stepping stones for my build! :)

Thank you!! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

grass will die off naturally, build your beds. have a decent gap for walking with barrows etc. wouldnt use any weed barrier/mypex.

have you a water source close by?

a tip on the construction , if it has metal poles that require concreting into ground, dig decent size holes and if poss have bottom of hole wider than top. this prevents the tunnel 'lifting' on windy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

rje66 wrote: »
    grass will die off naturally, build your beds. have a decent gap for walking with barrows etc. wouldnt use any weed barrier/mypex.

have you a water source close by?

a tip on the construction , if it has metal poles that require concreting into ground, dig decent size holes and if poss have bottom of hole wider than top. this prevents the tunnel 'lifting' on windy days.

Hello rje66, thank you for the information!! The tunnel is up and was staked into the ground by driving half meter long iron spikes. There are 16 spikes in total and I plan to build up the ground around the perimeter of the tunnel to prevent the wind getting under the structure.

The water source is within 8 meters of the door...eventually want to get an irrigation system put in but still debating between a sprinker system from roof and a drip system at soil level.

The main reason for considering mypex is so I have a clean area to walk, do you know if stone/concrete slabs would be the way to go?

Also, the layout I've selected which I hope is linked to this was after quite a lot of thought, but now I've come across another layout that has large beds either side and a narrow walkway up the centre...meaning you would have to walk on the bed to get to the edge. I'm pretty sure this is not what you want to do so do you think the layout I have is suitable or would there be another way to increase growing area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

scorphonic wrote: »
    Hello rje66, thank you for the information!! The tunnel is up and was staked into the ground by driving half meter long iron spikes. There are 16 spikes in total and I plan to build up the ground around the perimeter of the tunnel to prevent the wind getting under the structure.

The water source is within 8 meters of the door...eventually want to get an irrigation system put in but still debating between a sprinker system from roof and a drip system at soil level.

The main reason for considering mypex is so I have a clean area to walk, do you know if stone/concrete slabs would be the way to go?

Also, the layout I've selected which I hope is linked to this was after quite a lot of thought, but now I've come across another layout that has large beds either side and a narrow walkway up the centre...meaning you would have to walk on the bed to get to the edge. I'm pretty sure this is not what you want to do so do you think the layout I have is suitable or would there be another way to increase growing area?

Lay out looks ok just dont lose too much growing space to acess space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

Hi
    I need some help! Im building a polytunnel but doing soil beds rather than raised beds but my problem is how much do i dig out under the tunnel (inside) and what do i use topsoil/compost wise head is fried?!? Where do you buy this stuff ive been looking at "envirogaurd" and "veggie mix"

Advertisement