Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there an appetite for a South Eastern Greenway (Rosslare/Waterford Rail Line)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Who's this "we", since when is someone from Enniscorthy a spokesperson for Southern Wexford?
    It was sanity that closed the line in the first place.
    One round trip a day, each train carrying 25 passengers on average.
    It's just not viable and the New Ross bypass opening will get rid of the only possible reason for bringing it back.

I've yet to talk to anyone who lives near that line talking about wanting it re-opened.
    But plenty of them have visited or are planning to visit the Deise greenway.
    Local businesses want customers, a greenway can deliver them.

del.monty being a very knowledgable person in terms of the railways, especially those around wexford, is the perfect spokes person for the people of wexford in terms of rail services. i know i'm certainly happy to have him speak the truth in terms of how the waterford rosslare line was ran, a line which it wasn't sanity which closed but possible railway/CIE politics. there were a lot more then 25 passengers who used the service according to a number of sources (no links availible unfortunately) with illedged lax ticket checks. it's viable and the new- ross by-pass won't get rid of the many reasons for bringing it back.
    a greenway along this part of the last remaining cross country link will deliver few customers to the very few businesses. the old new-ross line will be the only potential line that could be turned into a greenway and have modest success.
    plus cie proved decades ago that moving goods by rail in a small country like ours is not viable . goods used to be transported to wexford by rail , deliveries always took days , were usually late and damaged plus deliveries were usually short due to theft and loss . The old good depot can be seen between the station and bridge in wexford

CIE didn't prove anything of the sort. CIE didn't want the hassle of being involved in rail traffic and got out of as much freight as it could. parts of it went dispite CIE but a huge amount of it CIE got out of because it wanted rid of the yards, probably hoping to sell the land. CIE, who do not have a good track record of running railways isn't proof of anything i'm sorry to say.
    so sorry for my terrible mistake of using ''good'' instead of ''goods'' but your just being petty pointing that out as you knew exactly what i meant.The reason i referred to the old goods depot is that the line was also used to transport goods to waterford and cork via rosslare harbour where the turntable is /used to be but the service was a disaster and was stopped as road infrastructure improved and proved more efficient . The fact you used and would use the service again hardly makes it a viable option as there is a regular bus service which is probably cheaper than the rail service would be

the replacement bus service is as irregular as the train, takes double or more the time (the new-ross by-pass won't change that) and isn't priced with attraction of customers in mind. it's nothing more then a tocan jesture to shut people up and was never designed to be a good public transport option. i don't even think it has many users unlike the laughable rail service, which had a good few and some bit of potential.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angiogoir

I wouldn't give up on the railway line yet.
    But apart from that. It would be a good idea. There is certainly room for a greenway along from Rosslare Harbour into Wexford town and beyond. There are many coastal walks and closed off roads which could be adapted.

Advertisement