Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an appetite for a South Eastern Greenway (Rosslare/Waterford Rail Line)

Options
  • 26-07-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I see the rail line between Rosslare and Waterford has been disused for several years.
    Is there local appetite to convert this to a greenway similar to The Great Western Greenway?
    I could be a very useful addition to tourism in the region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

last I heard there was a group trying to get the rail line reopened.

AFAIK they have trains lined up and the track is still serviceable, the only thing holding them up is some sort of kerfuffle about the crossing gates.

that said with the price of scrap at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to find the knackers had robbed a few miles of track somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It has been discussed to death on boards in the past - but due to lack of interest , the threads died .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82752262

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056835578&page=7

Cannot see an appetite , and certainly hard to see where the funds would come from .

Unless Denis O Brien shows an interest in spending some of the money he will make from installing water meters over the next few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

it's a pity, as tourist would have brought income and jobs to local communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

hypersonic wrote: »
    it's a pity, as tourist would have brought income and jobs to local communities.

Yeh? Tell us more how

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh? Tell us more how

no need for me to explain, there are probably too many jobs in wexford already.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

The line last saw a passenger service on 18/09/2010. Several miles of the line continues to be used several times a week by freight trains (between Waterford and Belview Port).

The line is being maintained as per contract between Irish Rail and the National Transport Authority.

The line has been used (and remains available for use) as a diversionary route e.g. in late-2011 the Dublin to Rosslare line was severed near Lansdowne Road due to a bridge over the River Dodder being damaged by flooding. This situation continued for many days. Trains need routine maintenance every week. There were trains on the Rosslare line which were "trapped" and the only way they could go for servicing was for them to travel along the South Wexford Line (replacement trains already serviced took their place). If the South Wexford Line was not there this transfer could not have taken place and commuters and users of the Rosslare-Wicklow-Dublin rail line would have been without a rail service for a prolonged period.

The port authority at Rosslare Europort (Irish Rail) have plans for a railfreight terminal at the port. This is detailed in their plans (plans were/ maybe still are publically available via their website). The line to Waterford and onwards to the west is a strategic asset which could be used for rail freight to/from the port. Earlier this year a review of the port was undertaken by consultants on behalf of the Minister for Transport. Part of this study looked at the two railway lines to the port.

A Greenway would be wholly incompatible with possible future freight use, diversionary use or for any ultimate restoration of a passenger service. There generally is no room to put a greenway alongside the railway.

no need for me to explain, there are probably too many jobs in wexford already.

And how many jobs would this create approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Any rational, long term plan for the South East will involve the reopening of this line for rail traffic, and to think that people can be bought off by handing over the route for use as a footpath is laughable. Just because some people are daft enough to accept their Garda stations being closed and handed back to them for community use doesn't mean we all are.

• Advertisement

Any rational, long term plan for the South East will involve the reopening of this line for rail traffic, and to think that people can be bought off by handing over the route for use as a footpath is laughable. Just because some people are daft enough to accept their Garda stations being closed and handed back to them for community use doesn't mean we all are.

I would be in favour of reopening the line to passenger traffic but it has been closed to passengers for almost 3 years. are there any plans at the moment to reopen it? also is the Dublin line due an upgrade?

I would be in favour of reopening the line to passenger traffic but it has been closed to passengers for almost 3 years. are there any plans at the moment to reopen it? also is the Dublin line due an upgrade?

Don't know about any upgrade for the Waterford/Dublin line but there are certainly no plans to reopen the Waterford/Rosslare Strand section. More likely to see Waterford/Limerick Junction close before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Plenty of jobs created by the greenway in Westport,

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/49874/profit-of-2-million-for-western-greenway-after-just-one-year

Chiparus wrote: »

That's Westport NOT Wexford

That's Westport NOT Wexford

What's your point? You seem to have reason to think it wouldn't create jobs... thats the impression I get.. if so why don't you share your insite?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    What's your point? You seem to have reason to think it wouldn't create jobs... so why don't you share your insite?

I'm saying 1. it can't happen 2. it won't happen 3. it would create very little sustainable jobs for the investment that would need to be made if it was to happen

That's my point. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I'm saying 1. it can't happen 2. it won't happen 3. it would create very little sustainable jobs for the investment that would need to be made if it was to happen

That's my point. Simples

Woah, i'm blown away by the insight.

There you go.. end of conversation compliments of the guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tommyp2013

In spite of the huge amount of negativity on this thread I reckon there would be a huge appetite for such a project, not only locally but nationally. I know there is a drive to convert the Waterford to Dungarvan line. I really cant understand why some Waterford people have it in for developing Waterford and pushing it up there with other tourist destinations in Ireland. It has so much to offer but negativity like some of the comments I have read on this thread just work to keep Waterford stuck in the recession. There needs to be a shift in how Waterford promotes itself and I for one think this would be a unique selling point...

bur wrote: »
    Woah, i'm blown away by the insight.

Feel free to construct some conversation to illustrate where I'm wrong if you wish.

• Advertisement

There you go.. end of conversation compliments of the guru.

:):rolleyes:

That's my point. Simples

The land is still in state ownership so it would cost substantial less than the Greenway in Mayo, which has been a huge success.

Galway has a proposed Greenway;
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/ConnemaraGreenway/

There is a campaign for a Greenway in Sligo
    http://www.sligomayogreenway.com/Home_Page.html

Yes, yes, first it was the Farming Sector that was going to save the country, then the IT sector, then the Finance sector and now it's Tourism's turn and every piece of closed-up railway track has to be turned into a Greenway....There are enormous queues of people waiting with their bikes at British and French ports - it will be like D-Day in reverse. :rolleyes:

Why is it that people simply can't disagree by way of putting forward their own viewpoint without the need for sarcastic responses?

It really feels like people are going out of their way to belittle the entitled opinions of others which is totally disrespectful.

I don't have a major say on the matter but I do find some of the info on this thread interesting and informative.

Why is it that people simply can't disagree by way of putting forward their own viewpoint without the need for sarcastic responses?

It really feels like people are going out of their way to belittle the entitled opinions of others which is totally disrespectful.

I don't have a major say on the matter but I do find some of the info on this thread interesting and informative.

You may have a point but I'm sick of people muddying the water regarding railway lines; and our useless politicians will jump on the bandwagon, as they are doing in the west, and the railway be torn up to facilitate the latest fad.

It shows the lack of substance in their option/argument. The more of these type of responses I see the more optimistic I get there will actually be a Greenway.

It shows the lack of substance in their option/argument. The more of these type of responses I see the more optimistic I get there will actually be a Greenway.

Ah here chillax lads and lassies

The original question was Is there an appetite for a South Eastern Greenway (Rosslare/Waterford Rail Line)

The answer is NO, not currently ;)

Ah here chillax lads and lassies

The original question was Is there an appetite for a South Eastern Greenway (Rosslare/Waterford Rail Line)

The answer is NO, not currently ;)

But you're speaking for yourself there.

hypersonic seems to have an appetite for one. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

So, in some cases... the answer is YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

i think it would be great for the area and the greenways in the west are a huge success, imagine getting off ferry in rosslare ,join the greenway in rosslare strand and then being able to go to west of ireland if waterford limerick was available and hardly seeing a car.surely anybody could see the spin off for b&B, shops, pubs, hostels etc along the route. The line was closed because of lack of use so why would it work if reopened
    regarding rosslare port, with the proposed development of dublin port and the continueing development of bellview, is ther a need for a second port on this corner ,also the fact that rosslare has just about enough dept of water to get the existing ferrys in and out. now im just a joe soap so maby a few studies and reports commisioned by department of transport will make me eat my words, and we have seen the success rate of all these reports
    in reply to tommyp
    regarding the negativity in the thread, unfortunatly thats an irish thing. :(
    a tourist walking down a pier noticed a fisherman standing beside a bucket with two lobsters in it, tapping the fisherman on the shoulder the tourist excused himself and enquired if he was concerned about the lobsters escaping, of course not replied the fisherman sure the are irish lobsters, if one of them tries to climb out the other will hold him back:)

• Advertisement

i think it would be great for the area and the greenways in the west are a huge success, imagine getting off ferry in rosslare ,join the greenway in rosslare strand and then being able to go to west of ireland if waterford limerick was available and hardly seeing a car.surely anybody could see the spin off for b&B, shops, pubs, hostels etc along the route. The line was closed because of lack of use so why would it work if reopened
    regarding rosslare port, with the proposed development of dublin port and the continueing development of bellview, is ther a need for a second port on this corner ,also the fact that rosslare has just about enough dept of water to get the existing ferrys in and out. now im just a joe soap so maby a few studies and reports commisioned by department of transport will make me eat my words, and we have seen the success rate of all these reports
    in reply to tommyp
    regarding the negativity in the thread, unfortunatly thats an irish thing. :(
    a tourist walking down a pier noticed a fisherman standing beside a bucket with two lobsters in it, tapping the fisherman on the shoulder the tourist excused himself and enquired if he was concerned about the lobsters escaping, of course not replied the fisherman sure the are irish lobsters, if one of them tries to climb out the other will hold him back:)

imagine getting off ferry in Rosslare ,join the train in Rosslare Harbour and then being able to go to west of ireland if waterford limerick was available and hardly seeing a car....

Why not go back even further in time and hire a horse in Rosslare?

Advertisement