Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

astra1 and hotbird on the same dish

• 15-11-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    trying to setup 2 lnb's on my dish for astra1 and hotbird. I've got astra1 set up on it moment, but I'm confused over where to place the lnb for hotbird.
    As I look at the dish, do I place the Hotbird LNB to the left or the right of the astra1 lnb?

Also, what other interesting sats could I get with a 85cm dish? I've already Astra2 coming from a qaud sky lnb to the reciever. I'd like to leave my dish centered on astra1/hotbird.

Thanks
    Bogger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

when looking at.. to the right.. a few inches apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The dish acts like a mirror:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page9.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Thanks Zaphod, I'm always getting my left and my right confused, I had it on the wrong side :)

ps, it's the reciever I bought of you, it's working brillant, ta mucho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This page has a photo. Astra is the central on the arm and hotbird up close to RHS looking at face of dish, i.e more east though a more westerly sat.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p6.htm
    lnbs2.jpg

This was a few years ago. It is now bolted and the Sky LNB is now a Quad (almost 100% quality).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Nice site watty

Any chance of an "beginners guide to putting up a wall bracket" for those of us who are ahem "challenged" when it coes to DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Bogger77 wrote:
    Hi all,
    trying to setup 2 lnb's on my dish for astra1 and hotbird. I've got astra1 set up on it moment, but I'm confused over where to place the lnb for hotbird.
    As I look at the dish, do I place the Hotbird LNB to the left or the right of the astra1 lnb?

Thanks
    Bogger

This pic says it all!!!
    monoblock.jpg

Thanks Guys, like I said, left and right were never really my thing in school :)

Nice site watty

Any chance of an "beginners guide to putting up a wall bracket" for those of us who are ahem "challenged" when it coes to DIY
    Hi ulster,
    May I suggest my method. Mention to my dad I'm going to be using a masonary drill bit on the house, and tell him when. He never fails to be there, he's seen my DIY too many times! Measure twice, cut once, and join ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Rather than faffing around with brackets you can get a thing called a "monoblock" LNB which is basically two LNB's stuck together spaced to give a 6 degree difference on an 80cm dish

Handy if its just Hotbird/Astra 1 youre after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They even do a triple for three sats 3 degrees apart on a 80cm dish or it might to 6 deg apart on some 1.2m dishes.

But the monoblock has the Diseqc built in which won't suit if using separate receivers (as I was) or the LNBs as part of a 4 way setup.

• Advertisement

I've already got the LNB's and Bracket from Tony, and it's a learning process, I've picked up some stats I wouldnt have bothered with if I had a mono block. The plan is to add a motorised system to my collection in the new year, have to see what the wind effect is at the new house as it's very exposed to the south/southwest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Monoblocks can be tricky to set up as you need some way to inject a diseq tone while you have the meter on. For diy I would think two separate lnb's are the way to go

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

@Tony
    For that purpose a Nokia D-Box1 with a portable tv seems to be a good alternative. With the DVB2000 software you even get a little spectrum analyzer.
    (btw.Exellent for feedhunting)
    For diy I would think two separate lnb's are the way to go
    Agreed.

@Watty
    But these yokes are neat, allthough with d-switch aswell.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/MAXIMUM-Monoblock-QUAD-LNB-0-3-dB-MARKENWARE_W0QQitemZ5828727676QQcategoryZ77751QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wow, a quad monoblock! I never knew they existed! Damn, Germany has access to some great satellite gear!

Advertisement