Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Street Map expansion project

1234568»

Comments

Victor wrote: »
    Sorry, I mean per user. :)

That's done inside the ITO site. You sign up for it, it's called OSM mapper. It's a handy tool

Another one is by some Russian guys at stat.latlon.org

I asked them to include Ireland, which they have done from today on.

Check out 10 years of OpenStreetMap growth for Ireland

https://www.mapbox.com/ten-years-openstreetmap/#-9.168091/53.790917/7

341587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Amazing. Thanks for posting that. If you pause it around 2014 and look at a well-mapped area it starts looking really trippy and kaleidoscopic - like staring into outer space or looking at a cell structure under a microscope.

Wow is it really nearly a year since I last posted an update here, thats terrible

Anyway, below you can see a 90 activity snapshot for OSM in Ireland.

The large blobs of continous activity that you see are due to many people taking part in the Irish Townland Mapping Project where we are aiming to map all 60,000+ townlands, civil parishes, baronies and electoral districts in the country based off old, out-of-copyright maps which were donated by the Trinity and the Bodelian Libraries.

To see the current coverage check here

To see a county by county or province by province breakdown, check townlands.ie

If you, or someone you know, might like to help out, you will find everything you need on this OSM wiki page

344594.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Whos been losing the run of themselves with regards details? :D

WYIUo68.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What I dislike is roundabouts done as areas instead of lines - none of them have speed limits, as it isn't in the default detail of details for 'area' roads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

What I dislike is roundabouts done as areas instead of lines - none of them have speed limits, as it isn't in the default detail of details for 'area' roads! :)

Have you really seen that? Because, in as much as anybody can describe a way of mapping as "wrong", that's utterly wrong and can be expected to cause problems. I would change any such roundabouts back to "normal".

Its half of the roundabouts in west county Dublin. Walkinstown Roundabout (I rebuilt it), Ballyfermot Roundabout (lines overlaid on a multi-polygon) and the dozen roundabouts in Citywest come to mind.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=walkinstown%20roundabout#map=19/53.34226/-6.34902
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=ballyfermot%20Roundabout#map=19/53.34226/-6.34902#
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/128624482#map=19/53.29020/-6.41751
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4404511

I don't know how to do fancy bits - is it possible to change a multi-polygon to a line?

Its half of the roundabouts in west county Dublin. Walkinstown Roundabout (I rebuilt it), Ballyfermot Roundabout (lines overlaid on a multi-polygon) and the dozen roundabouts in Citywest come to mind.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=walkinstown%20roundabout#map=19/53.34226/-6.34902
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=ballyfermot%20Roundabout#map=19/53.34226/-6.34902#
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/128624482#map=19/53.29020/-6.41751
    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4404511

I don't know how to do fancy bits - is it possible to change a multi-polygon to a line?

Thanks for these. Of the ones you posted, all but one are fine. But that one - my oh my...

The Ballyfermot Roundabout had been split into four portions. This is of itself OK, even though it's something I don't like doing to roundabouts. Some people like to do this if a certain bus route, say, travels over only some of the roundabout. In that case you could split it and add only that bit to the route relation. Me, I just include the whole roundabout, it's just as clear. In this case, the reason was a bit more compelling, in that Electoral districts were being mapped which presumably actually coincide with a portion of the roundabout roadway.

But in addition to splitting the roundabout, we had the following:
    • The junction=roundabout tag was gone
    • All four roundabout portions had been included in two identical untagged multipolygons.
    • They had also been included in a further multipolygon that was tagged with a copious number of tags relating to the roundabout (including horse=yes)

In short, it was a bit bollixed. There's no one true way to recover from a situation like this - in this instance, because of the boundaries, it was important not to join up the sections again. So I just deleted all three multipolygons and reinstated the junction=roundabout tag (and the roundabout name) to all 4 sections.

So are there any more?

• Advertisement

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4404511#map=19/53.28210/-6.29705

That one is even more bollixed, its gone altogether.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4404511#map=19/53.28210/-6.29705

That one is even more bollixed, its gone altogether.

OK, fixed. This isn't nice. I'm trying to work out a nice way to find other examples. It's hard because there's often no clue that it used to be a motorway. Perhaps finding multipolygons with highway tagging?

Just about every roundabout in CityWest had the problem.

Actually, check for multipolygons where I added maxspeed=50/60/80 in the last 3 months in the South Dublin County Council area.
    mackerski wrote: »
    It's hard because there's often no clue that it used to be a motorway.
    I don't think any of them are or were motorways (not in real life anyway).

Just about every roundabout in CityWest had the problem.

Actually, check for multipolygons where I added maxspeed=50/60/80 in the last 3 months in the South Dublin County Council area.

I don't think any of them are or were motorways (not in real life anyway).

Damn you autocorrect! Motorway=multipolygon.

I really hope this isn't a common thing :(

:D
    I really hope this isn't a common thing :(
    I've not particularly noticed it anywhere else, and I've added speed limits to probably a few thousand roads, mostly urban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the purple circle around Naas? Some kind of middling hadron collider or somthing ;) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's the purple circle around Naas? Some kind of middling hadron collider or somthing ;) ?

Its the town boundary, there's a note explaining it - "Circular boundary with a 1.5 mile radius from the Town Hall". Most towns have more defined boundaries along roads, rivers, whatever.

Why its showing so hugely noticeably at some zoom levels I've no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are town boundaries still valid with the abolition reform of local govt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are town boundaries still valid with the abolition reform of local govt?

For a few reasons, yes.

Currently rates are being equalised over a few years in Kildare for instance; also DEDs usually match the boundaries and are used for council wards, constituency boundaries, etc, etc.

One of my 'things' is adding electrical transformers. Of hte 250 or so tranfsormers mapped in Ireland, I've mapped about 60%. I was heading into the city centre the other day to go to Cineworld and shopping.

I spotted a transformer in a laneway and my brain said "remember that for mapping later". the I realised I was in the cinema and that transformer was in Singapore. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

I've noticed a change of colour on Motorways and National primary and Secondary's. Is it a mistake or a change of policy?

medoc wrote: »
    I've noticed a change of colour on Motorways and National primary and Secondary's. Is it a mistake or a change of policy?

Remember that OSM is a data set first and foremost. The default map style you see on osm.org is (and even there you can switch to others) intended as a showcase and not especially as a product to be used intact by the public. Anybody is free to create their own map in their own style using the underlying data, and many do.

So the colouring isn't set in stone and experimentation will take place. I find the new colours jarring because they don't match what I expect for Ireland, but as a worldwide map style I have a feeling it may be an improvement. I'm keeping an open mind until I've become used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Remember that OSM is a data set first and foremost. The default map style you see on osm.org is (and even there you can switch to others) intended as a showcase and not especially as a product to be used intact by the public. Anybody is free to create their own map in their own style using the underlying data, and many do.

So the colouring isn't set in stone and experimentation will take place. I find the new colours jarring because they don't match what I expect for Ireland, but as a worldwide map style I have a feeling it may be an improvement. I'm keeping an open mind until I've become used to it.

Never thought of it like that. It'll take some time to get used to the colours. Over the years I'd just become accustomed to how it was, and it was sort of logical, for Ireland at least with motorways blue etc.

I'm not a fan of the new colours, old Mapnik was better. Blue must be used for motorways, none of this red nonsense :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Back to Blue and Green please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Glad to have spotted this thread. A while back I was keen to get involved in mapping but got a bit confused\put off by the beginners' FAQs on OSM and the JOSM/Potlatch choice. I must take another look.

I probably have quite a few tracks from the blank areas in West Cork and Kerry (Here be Dragons!) but no road numbers to go with them. Is it worth, or permitted, uploading road data in that case? Is there a minimum resolution recommended for track points? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

A lot better overall... :)

When zoomed out, I think the main DCs should be beefed up (line thickness) like the M-ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I have to retract my earlier comment about West Cork containing "terra incognita" The roads are very well mapped. I jumped to the wrong conclusion when looking at the map of updates. Maybe my tracks won't be of much use after all.

• Advertisement

Middle Man wrote: »
    A lot better overall... :)

When zoomed out, I think the main DCs should be beefed up (line thickness) like the M-ways.
    I'm not sure if that is practical, as dual carriageways are mapped as two parallel one-way roads. Motorways are motorways - whether single or dual carriageway - an example in Ireland would be the former M32, now part of the M50. Single carriageway motorways are rare, but not unique, e.g. http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/a6144m

Advertisement